Watched Hereditary last night after a year...

Hidden_Hand

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So those movie buffs on here will know I thought Hereditary was one of the horror films I've ever seen and I wrote a few long reviews breaking its brilliance down.

Well after a year I decided to watch it again this being my third viewing of it so was open to being more sceptical of it.

Well, I have to say this is going to go down truly as a future classic of the horror genre joining the likes of The Exorcist, The Shining and The Thing 1984. It has aged amazingly even though only a year but it works, every single scene works, in fact, it gets better over time. A true modern-day masterpiece which is rare for horror these days.

The fact Toni Collette was snubbed of an Oscar is outrageous and reminds me why I don't even check the results of the Oscars, they are garbage! Her performance is a master class as is the rest of the cast.

If you haven't seen it, turn off the lights and turn up the volume and listen and take in every word. If you have.. Well, do the same, again.

Some scenes are really scary. I almost abandoned ship and stopped watching when the sister made the mouth clicking sound in the brother's room at night.

Infamous scene where Alex Wolfs character is trying to drive Charly home urgently is one of the most unsettling things I can think of in any film. And the way the camera just lingered on Wolfs emotionless face in the aftermath- chilling.

You know I think really highly of that film too, man. Collette getting snubbed of even a nomination was horrendous.

mediocre at best
forgot about it the day after

I remember laughing at how boring and lame it is, and shutting it off after about an hour.

Some scenes are really scary. I almost abandoned ship and stopped watching when the sister made the mouth clicking sound in the brother's room at night.

Surround sound in my theater made this scene INCREDIBLY creepy, as me and a friend heard it from the back left and both looked back there with our mouths wide open....

Meh, it was good. But not as incredible as you make it out to be.

Joker is an example of a true modern masterpiece.

Hereditary is one of the better horror movies out there but nowhere close to a masterpiece.

Plus, the word "Masterpiece" gets thrown around way too much these days.

Well, I have to say this is going to go down truly as a future classic of the horror genre joining the likes of The Exorcist, The Shining and The Thing 1984.

While I agree the movie is amazing and on the same level as those you mentioned I don't think it will ever be a "classic" household-name movie like The Exorcist or The Shining. Times have changed. The entertainment industry has changed. Those movies you listed had mass appeal on a level Hereditary does not AND were in a market of scarcity. There weren't many good horror movies back then. Hereditary is a fantastic horror movie, but it's just another fantastic horror movie. There are hundreds now released since the 70's. It's also a little too polarizing to become accepted as a classic by the masses. Half the people on this board don't even like it.

There was one scene where I involuntarily yelled WHAT the FUCK. In a good way.

I’m not a horror film guy but this is up there as best I’ve ever seen, it really made me feel uneasy the whole time and then finished strong as hell

Collette getting snubbed of even a nomination was horrendous.

I didn’t like the movie very much, but I agree with this. Her performance was fantastic

Definitely one of my top movies for that year. Movie stuck with me for awhile.

I didn’t like the movie very much, but I agree with this. Her performance was fantastic

She’s at the point of being underrated/under appreciated I’d say. Pretty much delivers in any give role at this point. She’s hilarious in Knives Out even though she doesn’t have a whole lot of screen time.

She’s at the point of being underrated/under appreciated I’d say. Pretty much delivers in any give role at this point. She’s hilarious in Knives Out even though she doesn’t have a whole lot of screen time.

I also recently rewatched her in The 6th Sense, and she's fucking brilliant in that one as well. Another Oscar-worthy performance. She was robbed, but at least nominated. Not that it really matters of course

Back