Watched Hereditary last night after a year...

I liked it a lot. Agree wholeheartedly about Toni Collette.

My one issue with the film: the boy's crying. "Mommmmmy!!!!"

I just watched it after reading your thread earlier today.

Solid flick overall, and I like how it escalated progressively. Nothing too bad at first, then the scene when he drove his sister to the hospital had me go WTF!!!

Just watched Brimstone again. That’s a masterpiece

Joker is an example of a true modern masterpiece.

Hereditary is one of the better horror movies out there but nowhere close to a masterpiece.

Plus, the word "Masterpiece" gets thrown around way too much these days.

Joker is a 7.5 movie

You call Joker a masterpiece and then go on to say masterpiece is thrown around way too much

<CanYouSeeMeNow>

So those movie buffs on here will know I thought Hereditary was one of the horror films I've ever seen and I wrote a few long reviews breaking its brilliance down.

Well after a year I decided to watch it again this being my third viewing of it so was open to being more sceptical of it.

Well, I have to say this is going to go down truly as a future classic of the horror genre joining the likes of The Exorcist, The Shining and The Thing 1984. It has aged amazingly even though only a year but it works, every single scene works, in fact, it gets better over time. A true modern-day masterpiece which is rare for horror these days.

The fact Toni Collette was snubbed of an Oscar is outrageous and reminds me why I don't even check the results of the Oscars, they are garbage! Her performance is a master class as is the rest of the cast.

If you haven't seen it, turn off the lights and turn up the volume and listen and take in every word. If you have.. Well, do the same, again.

Hail King Paimon. The movie is creep as fuck, watched it two months ago for the second time and it works just as well. Everything is done masterfully. Gonna go for Midsommar now

Solid flick overall, and I like how it escalated progressively. Nothing too bad at first, then the scene when he drove his sister to the hospital had me go WTF!!!

Same ... I'm pretty impervious to horror stuff but that ride was something.

So those movie buffs on here will know I thought Hereditary was one of the horror films I've ever seen and I wrote a few long reviews breaking its brilliance down.

Well after a year I decided to watch it again this being my third viewing of it so was open to being more sceptical of it.

Well, I have to say this is going to go down truly as a future classic of the horror genre joining the likes of The Exorcist, The Shining and The Thing 1984. It has aged amazingly even though only a year but it works, every single scene works, in fact, it gets better over time. A true modern-day masterpiece which is rare for horror these days.

The fact Toni Collette was snubbed of an Oscar is outrageous and reminds me why I don't even check the results of the Oscars, they are garbage! Her performance is a master class as is the rest of the cast.

If you haven't seen it, turn off the lights and turn up the volume and listen and take in every word. If you have.. Well, do the same, again.

I agree with your assessment wholeheartedly. It'll go down as a classic for sure. Especially as Ari Aster goes on to become more of a major filmmaker with a bigger body of work.
I just recently saw it again on Amazon Prime in 4K UHD & I loved it even more than I did after my first viewing a year ago via Blu-ray. The use of the absence of light in HEREDITARY is masterclass IMO. And, as a jaded life-long fan of horror films, not much gets to me. It's an extremely rare thing for a movie to chill my spine anymore more but this movie does it three or four times quite effectively.
As for those who call it boring or mediocre, I don't know what to say. I don't hate on people for having different opinions or tastes than me but I think it's the need for instant gratification that's the culprit here. A large contingent of people these days just aren't patient enough to allow a narrative to play out. If they're not stimulated by something every five minutes they get restless & say the movie "sucks". And that's a shame.

Best horror I've seen in a long time. I'm not in any rush to watch it again though.

It's really sad and pretty slow...I'd hate it if it weren't so damn good.

A large contingent of people these days just aren't patient enough to allow a narrative to play out. If they're not stimulated by something every five minutes they get restless & say the movie "sucks". And that's a shame.

Man thats hilarious coming from the guy who wont watch more than the first half of The Godfather because "it's boring".

Surely you see the hypocrisy in your statement.

That scene literally made my jaw drop, which considering the shit I've seen is fucking impressive.

Man thats hilarious coming from the guy who wont watch more than the first half of The Godfather because "it's boring".

Surely you see the hypocrisy in your statement.
What is it with you & this obsession with me & THE GODFATHER, man? LOL.
As I've said before, I've tried on three separate occasions to watch it & I've failed. I do think it's dull because I've never been able to sympathize with any of the characters. IMO they'll all unlikable so I haven't ever cared what happens to them in the end. So, if someone can tell them that they feel the same way about HEREDITARY then, by all means, they get a pass from me.
But I still plan on watching it in 4K someday. So, we'll see how it goes at that time. Alright?

I was high as a kite when I watched it. The scene where the son was driving his sister to the hospital and she sticks her head out the window and the unthinkable happens. Then when he just sits there in silence not daring to look back into the seat. I have a younger sister so probably due to my heightened state of mind, I put myself in his position and it freaked me the fuck out.

Also right after when you hear the mom scream when she finds the body.......fucking chilling.

Movie is flat out shit. Flat out. It was hilarious. Not one character was believable. Not one. Nothing they did was believable. The boy could not act and him crying was hilarious. The mother overreacted to a point where it was like madcap.
When the mom is bitching to the support group or whatever about her miserable life I was hoping one of them would say "I don't believe you"

Hey, my sister just happened to stick her fucking head out the window as I got real close to this telephone pole and it knocker her head clean off....welp, I am just gonna go sleep this off.

I love horror and love weird horror. This is one of the shittiest movies. A24 can cram their horror movies up their ass. They are horrible. Killing a sacred deer was shit too. Ex Machina was one of the few good movies made by A24

What is it with you & this obsession with me & THE GODFATHER, man? LOL.
As I've said before, I've tried on three separate occasions to watch it & I've failed. I do think it's dull because I've never been able to sympathize with any of the characters. IMO they'll all unlikable so I haven't ever cared what happens to them in the end. So, if someone can tell them that they feel the same way about HEREDITARY then, by all means, they get a pass from me.
But I still plan on watching it in 4K someday. So, we'll see how it goes at that time. Alright?

"A large contingent of people these days just aren't patient enough to allow a narrative to play out."

"A large contingent of people these days just aren't patient enough to allow a narrative to play out."

That's what I said & I stand by it. I see it with a wide array of movies lately.
If you want to call me a hypocrite because I haven't finished one damn movie that I can't stand. So be it. But it doesn't nullify my point.
Sorry, dude but this whole thing with THE GODFATHER has gotten old.

That's what I said & I stand by it. I see it with a wide array of movies lately.
If you want to call me a hypocrite because I haven't finished one damn movie that I can't stand. So be it. But it doesn't nullify my point.
Sorry, dude but this whole thing with THE GODFATHER has gotten old.

It's not actually about The Godfather. You apparently don't see the hypocrisy in complaining about people who won't take the time to watch an entire movie before judging it when you yourself won't take the time to watch an entire movie before judging it. You have heard of the phrase "pot calling the kettle black", yes?

In a lot of ways Hereditary is a perfect horror film.

Midsomer was amazing too and I think it's highly underrated.

I would like to see Ari Aster make something in a cyber punk type world or future dystopia along the lines of Code 46.

Back