Washing the jiu jitsu gi?

Dude, I just got my BJJ blue belt, I've been doin it for almost 2 years. And we actually have to wash it before we leave the gym. Were required to bring a second set of cloths and wash it. Cause, we dont want any shvetty balls smelling Gi's on our face...

At our class if you're gi is smelly/dirty you don't get to work out that day. Simple as that. You can refuse to work with someone if their hygiene ain't right.

I only have one gi but I only train two days a week. If I start training more often I'll have to get another gi.

i have 4 gi's that i rotate so i can wash them after every class and have a fresh one to go.

i suggest you do the same, even though i know a lot of others don't....

staph is a hell of a bug!

i have 2 as well since starting back to training....i had up to 3 at one point ...and like a few ppl mentioned---just rotate them and wash them.

i also was told the inside out method was the way to go as well.

I have 9 gis, 6 bjj, 3 judo.

After every class I hang it out side on a makeshift clothesline I made above my apartment's split air conditioner. The outside unit on a split a/c has this powerful blower that dries the gi. In the morning the sun hits the gi all day and the gi protects the blower from the sun. I rotate all the gis, judo and bjj the same way.

When I wash it I take it to the laundry room a few miles from where I live and use this washer called a front loaded triple washer. Now it is supposed to wash the gi 3 times but there is a cool function on it that allows for a fourth wash and rinse cycle that I pay an extra $1 for. I put four cups of triple strength detergent, four cups of softner and blast those gi's on hot if all I got are bleached white and warm if the blue gis are in there.

Immediately after washing I take them home and use my makeshift clothesline to dry all the gis for 2 to 3 days and flip them over each day to dry it out completely. So far people at my academy have asked me how I wash my gis since they return great condition and smell throughout the years I have had them in use.

Just last night someone who put a patch on my latest gi said his couch had a hint of the gi smell after he gave me my gi back. Ghost Dog was there when he said it.

Do any schools wash gi's for their students(for an extra fee of course)? It would make more financial and ecological sense to wash a bunch of gi's at once instead of thousands of students doing washes on their own..

Do any schools wash gi's for their students(for an extra fee of course)? It would make more financial and ecological sense to wash a bunch of gi's at once instead of thousands of students doing washes on their own..

so the owner of the school has to take everyone's gi to the laundymat after training or does he have his padawan do it? how does the young jedi not get the gi's all mixed up?

so the owner of the school has to take everyone's gi to the laundymat after training or does he have his padawan do it? how does the young jedi not get the gi's all mixed up?

I acually like the idea. It would be cool if gyms had a few large washing machines. It would almost certainly reduce rignworm/staph etc. As for gi mix up, how about a number system? Sew a small number patch on the inside of the gi? Granted, most gyms don't have the resources/gumption to even consider this.

i'd think it would be best to have a washing machine onsite. barring that, maybe some kind of big vat where you can throw in a bunch of gi's and some bleach. stir it around for a few minutes and it's done. how does it NOT get mixed up? safety pins and plastic tags.

I wash mine after every session. I put it in the machine at night when I get in, by the time it's done I'm ready to sleep so I take it out and put it on the radiator over night. It's done by the next day so if I have to train two days in a row it's not a problem. Don't have loads of patches on my gi but I reckon turning it inside out is your best bet.

i wouldnt trust anyone else to wash my gi properly, and thoroughly, than myself

Want Staph? Dont wash it. ALWAYS CLEAN your gear, its imperative. Wash it in cold and hang dry or tumble dry on low.

Back