Washing the jiu jitsu gi?

People get used to their own stench, but others don't spend all day smelling you, i.e you're unpleasant to be around because you stink. You are also lazy, and even though you are poor and cant afford more than 1 gi, make an effort and come to each class clean. It's not as if you're busy.

stink=disease

p.s if you weren't so lazy, you'd be employed and buying a few gis would be no problem.

I have two kimonos, thankyouverymuch. never had complain about stinking though.

never had skin issues also, nor anybody in my club. most of the guys at our club also wash it once a week.

Of course I wash my belt, I put all my gear in the washing machine after every session.

If you're anything above white belt, don't worry about it fading, people know to be cautious with faded belts. Especially the grey belts.

And just like a gi, buy a few belts, so that you can get a wash and dry cycle going, that way you can always be in class clean and dry.

Is washing your belt part of your academy's social norms? My instructor doesn't wash his belt so I don't wash mine. I've never had staph ***knocks on wood*** or any other bad infection. I'm also not known as a stinky guy. I have nothing against washing the belt. It's just something that's not done at my school.

What belt are you? I'm a purple belt.

Is washing your belt part of your academy's social norms? My instructor doesn't wash his belt so I don't wash mine. I've never had staph ***knocks on wood*** or any other bad infection. I'm also not known as a stinky guy. I have nothing against washing the belt. It's just something that's not done at my school.

What belt are you? I'm a purple belt.

Gross. I always wash my belt with my gi. I even javex from time to time to make sure everything is dead.

I remember once i lost my belt and somehow someone ended up taking my shiny clean belt and i had somehow picked up the most disgusting belt I have ever seen. Full of stains, stinky ect. Eventually I got it fairly clean and most stains out but man that was nasty.

Dont understand why people dont do it. Wasnt it some bs tradition in TMAs to not wash your belt?

Thing is in TMAs your generally not rolling around on disease and germ infested ground in close contact..except judo mainly. Did it originate in Judo?

I have two kimonos, thankyouverymuch. never had complain about stinking though.

never had skin issues also, nor anybody in my club. most of the guys at our club also wash it once a week.

Wash their gi once per week? Unless they are training 1-2max days a week that is gross.

Gross. I always wash my belt with my gi. I even javex from time to time to make sure everything is dead.

I remember once i lost my belt and somehow someone ended up taking my shiny clean belt and i had somehow picked up the most disgusting belt I have ever seen. Full of stains, stinky ect. Eventually I got it fairly clean and most stains out but man that was nasty.

Dont understand why people dont do it. Wasnt it some bs tradition in TMAs to not wash your belt?

Thing is in TMAs your generally not rolling around on disease and germ infested ground in close contact..except judo mainly. Did it originate in Judo?

When I trained aikido, we had some people who's belts looked like faded black belts, but they were really white.
Since you wear a white until you get your black and the average time is roughly 7 years for the black, some people's belts get nasty beyond belief.
Going to have to see if I can find a pic of a 6 year old white belt that's been used 5 times a week and never washed, it's quite a sight.

I live in Long island, NY so right now temp outside is pretty cold. I have 3 gis but really only use 2 of them since the other one I just bought in a hurry and the quality is not really that good. I use that gi for practicing seated rows replacing the handle with the gi to improveprehensile strength.
Anyway, I train pretty frequently so I have to rotate the 2 gis, As soon as I get back from practice I immediately wash the gi I just used in cool water with detergent and then I dry it in the bathroom. The reason for this is that I blast the heat in my room throughout the night and I open a couple of windows so the temperature in my bedroom is nice and warm but not too hot, while the temp in the bathroom, where I hang dry my gi, is at 80 degrees Farenheit. In the morning, my gi is almost completely dry. When I start training in the morning and night the same day, I am going to have to do a lot more washing, but it will be definitely worth it. :)

i train two times a week in gi so i usually wash it once every to weeks and it seems to hold up well. (i do wash it sooner if it starts to smell bad)

You should be able to afford to buy another gi. They are not that expensive. You can get low end gis for close to $50, and you can get a solid HCK with shipping included for about $75.

I never understand how people can complain about being so poor all the time, yet they somehow still find the time to train 8x a week. If you are really so poor that you cannot even afford a second low end gi for basic hygiene purposes, maybe you should train 4x a week and WORK AT A JOB 4x a week.

Real poor people don't have the luxury of training martial arts 8x a week. You're not poor; you're just being dirty here.

My gym only allows their brand of gi's. Either you buy theirs or buy some random gi and buy their patches. Either way, it comes up to 100+

I train 8x a week because I have to pay 156/month to train, might as well get the most out of it. The other time spent is going to college/studying.

I choose to train as much as possible so if I happen to not have time one day because I'm writing a 10 page research paper or because I'm training twice a day, then fuck it, let the other people cry about how my gi isn't sparkling white.

Where the fuck do all of you guys live so that you can hang dry your gi every single time? In NJ it takes like 3 days to hang dry a gi, and its still a bit damp afterwards. I just throw mine in the dryer on low heat. I'd rather spend 100 a year on a new gi than wait forever for the thing to dry.

thats why i have 4 gis 3 for training and one for comp i dont care what happens to the training gis when i wash them....patches falling off etc

So what is the best thing to use when you wash your gi? baking soda? white vinegar? hydrogen peroxide? Should I just use a cup of regular laundry detergent and maybe throw some white vinegar in there? I have my gi outside drying in the sun right now I hope that will help with the smell.

Where the fuck do all of you guys live so that you can hang dry your gi every single time? In NJ it takes like 3 days to hang dry a gi, and its still a bit damp afterwards. I just throw mine in the dryer on low heat. I'd rather spend 100 a year on a new gi than wait forever for the thing to dry.

My single weave Fuji dries in about 18 hours hanging up downstairs in the bathroom on the shower rod.

In Canada.

I live in northern NJ and mine dries within 18 hours as well. Maybe you are hanging the gi in a relatively humid part of your home?

I saw a post a while back where someone suggested to turn on a fan next to the gi to speed up the process.

for fuck sake, please dont use vinegar. ITS SMELLS SOUR AND LIKE A DRIED SWEAT.

Use zonrox or any bleach with antibacteria in it.

and use downy if you want it smelling fresh and clean.

Nothing beats a winner gi. even if you lose at least your gi smells like a winner.

I just got a new washer and dryer the other day. It is one of the new ones that has a steam cycle and spins at damn near light speed. After a fourty minute wash including the steam cycle it pretty much wrings all the water out of it. My gi is almost dry after the wash, and has had all the bacteria killed off. I don't mind my wife spending so much money on this washer now.

my best solution with my MKM gi is cold cycle in the washer, with a little bit of that borax detergent booster; and then put it in the dryer for ojne cycle on low, and hang it up till it dries completely. keeps the color nicely too.

At my school it is a rule wash it everytime or you can't come to class.

Better to have your patch peel off, then your skin peel off from some drug resistant super infection.

Back