Washing the jiu jitsu gi?

There needs to be a rule posted at every BJJ Studio...

WASH YOUR DAMN GI!

Seriously, I've had my face in some of the most awful smelling Gis and it almost makes you want to tap and call it a day. Not to mention the GERMS and BACTERIA from a damp stinky gi.

I wash mine every other time...and in between it is air-dried and freebreezed.

Where the fuck do all of you guys live so that you can hang dry your gi every single time? In NJ it takes like 3 days to hang dry a gi, and its still a bit damp afterwards. I just throw mine in the dryer on low heat. I'd rather spend 100 a year on a new gi than wait forever for the thing to dry.

Perth Amboy, NJ

I put it on a hanger and the hanger goes on a hook on the back of my bedroom door.

I don't have a ton of money but I always wash my gi's I own 7 right now(4 BJJ, 3 judo), please wash your gi's , if you train more than twice a week invest in a second gi, judo gi's are super cheap mine cost me under 100 for 3 gi's one of them is a mizuno, 2 of my BJJ gi's are fujis and at 70 and 74 bucks each even the broke'st of people can afford that especially if you can afford BJJ every month.

Wash it afetr every time you use it.

If it doesnt need it coz its not smelly or wet enuff - work fucking harder you lazy bastard!

if you don't wash it every time you train, you will probably be back here starting another "do i have staph?" thread.

if you don't wash it every time you train, you will probably be back here starting another "do i have staph?" thread.

lol qft:icon_lol: , I'm f'ing OCD when it comes to staph or stuff you can catch from the MAT, stay as clean as possible and clean all your gear.

hand wash you gis. it's a bitch but think of it as improving your grip.

My gym only allows their brand of gi's. Either you buy theirs or buy some random gi and buy their patches. Either way, it comes up to 100+

I train 8x a week because I have to pay 156/month to train, might as well get the most out of it. The other time spent is going to college/studying.

I choose to train as much as possible so if I happen to not have time one day because I'm writing a 10 page research paper or because I'm training twice a day, then fuck it, let the other people cry about how my gi isn't sparkling white.

Trying to justify paying as much as you do at Gracie Barra at the disrespect of your training partners does not work here.

We are not talking about how white your gi is, we are talking about how bad you smell when you do not wash your gi.

for fuck sake, please dont use vinegar. ITS SMELLS SOUR AND LIKE A DRIED SWEAT.

I've never had this experience and I use distilled white vinegar on my gis every time I wash them. It does have a bit of a funk as it's washing, and sometimes right when you pull it out, but when it dries it has no smell at all besides smelling clean and fresh (exactly how I want it).

My process is to use a gentle detergent, lately it's been ECOS all natural detergent in bulk from Costco with white vinegar in the fabric softener cup. After that it goes outside to dry.

I think this process is pretty gentle on the Gi (much more gentle than me rolling around in it!) and it comes out clean and fresh every time.

Also, it really is a good investment to buy at least another gi so you always have a clean one. Even though it might look clean, it's pretty nasty to think that what is hanging out in the fabric between washes. Sweat is sterile but tons of bacteria are attracted to it, aside from the stuff that could be on the mats. For everyone's sake just wash it every time you use it.

I have three gi's so I never ever have to train in a dirty one, and I really wish everyone else did as well.
I'm paranoid as fuck about hygiene on the mats, and it didn't get better after seeing the randleman staph pics, heh.
Compared to the cost of training, the cost of an extra gi or two is pretty much negligible.
Then consider the risk of skin infections and it should be a no-brainer.
Don't be that smelly dude in class that noone wants to roll with.
Randlestaph

Hey guys, I'm a brand new guy to jiu jitsu. Not to the concept or to these forums (despite what the account says on sign up date), but the actual training. I have only just signed up last night and taken one intro and one actual class. Hurts like all hell but awesome fun. That's not the point, I wanted to ask a question about my new gi.

I had to get a blue one (wanted a white to start traditional but they didn't have it in stock at the moment), size A3 because the A2 fit almost perfectly which would have been screwed during the first washes when it shrinks. So I'm basically asking for tips on how to shrink it without damaging it any and how to preserve the color of it. I don't want it fading so early in my time.

I've seen some people say that air drying gets the gi stiff and that's a good thing? I'm not even sure if this is serious but why would that be? I intend to try air drying over an electric heater that I have or just hang it if the temperature and/or sun are being nice. Nothing wrong about going with the electric heater if I need it to dry quicker?

Sorry for rambling on, but I just want to get the best start possible with my gi and training. Hope to be able to contribute as my training goes on. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Forgot to ask, when washing the gi, do you put it in alone or with some extra clothes of similar color or does it even matter?

wash it alone. Dont mix other clothes in it.

If it is a white gi use bleach with antibac.

If it is pink like lebell the germs will stay the hell away from that gi.

If it is blue, same thing wash it alone.

Does anyone ironed their gi's here? I tried it now and then and nothing beats a well ironed gi when you wear it. It really feels like a winner there and then.

for some reason my havent shrunk after washing it twice, anyone here also have an atama gi?

If you want it to shrink try the following - wash at 90C and then blowdry - shrinkage guaranteed.

1. Go easy on the bleach while washing a gi as it will weaken the material.
2. Air or direct sunlight is the best way to dry as it dries the gi slowly and will shrink less.
3. When the vinegar dries it doesn’t do anything to the smell and it kills bacteria. Vinegar will also help the gi's dye set if it hasn't set already.
4. Some Baking soda is good for killing odor .
5. Rub detergent or baking powder into sweat collection spots before washing.
6. You don’t have to wash your gi after ever session but wash it fairly often.
7. Showering before and after training is a good habit for obvious reasons.
8. Fabric softener shortens a gi’s lifespan.

thats why i have 4 gis 3 for training and one for comp i dont care what happens to the training gis when i wash them....patches falling off etc

Arizona. my bad boy dries in a couple hours. :) well maybe not anymore that winter is approaching

its direct heat, kinda like a dryer
I think they are referring to the bacteriae-killing properties of UV radiation. Just parroting someone who knows this stuff, I might easily have gotten it wrong.

Back