Was the Gastelum vs Adesanya fight one of the greatest fights ever?

Was the Gastelum vs Adesanya fight one of the greatest fights ever?

• Yes it was one of the greatest fights.

• It was actually the greatest fight of all time.

• No, it's not one of the greatest fights.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can't think of any other fights that had me at the edge of my seat like that one, it had everything a high level fight should have.

This is the definition of getting caught up in the heat of the moment. It was a good fight, not close to greatest

Not really. Jones tweeted a good point, Israel barely beat a short fat wrestler at kickboxing.

If the fight was under kickboxing rules, Adesanya probably changes his stance and entire approach to the fight. The threat of a takedown has to be accounted for and makes the striking of grapplers more dangerous. Jones knows this, but he's just talking trash because he and Adesanya have been having a little bit of back and forth recently. It was a great fight and will go down as a classic.

If the fight was under kickboxing rules, Adesanya probably changes his stance and entire approach to the fight. The threat of a takedown has to be accounted for and makes the striking of grapplers more dangerous. Jones knows this, but he's just talking trash because he and Adesanya have been having a little bit of back and forth recently. It was a great fight and will go down as a classic.
It was a very good fight, I wouldn’t go so far to call it great though.

This is the definition of getting caught up in the heat of the moment. It was a good fight, not close to greatest

No it was legit one of the greatest. Edge of the seat for 5 rounds, both fighters rocked and dropped multiple times. You can't ask for more.

It was a great fight, but I don’t think I would put it in the same class as Jones v Gustafson I, Aldo v Mendes II, or even St Pierre v Hendricks or Lawler v Condit. Lawler v MacDonald is the gold standard for me, and that’s just taking title fights into account.

Really good fight. I might need a cooling off period to give it a real assessment but it had me invested.

It reminded me of Jones vs Gustafsson, especially with Israel showing his 5th round heart and determination to win.

this is up there... gotta be top 10...

one of my personal favs is Wand Vs Stann.. but this is up there too.... great fight.

It was a very good fight, I wouldn’t go so far to call it great though.

The degree to which you were entertained is a matter of personal opinion, but it seems like the popular opinion is that it was a great fight. I'm certainly not prepared to say it was the greatest fight or anything like that, but it was definitely a great one. Hight stakes, plenty of action, back and forth momentum swings and drama. Very entertaining.

It was a great fight, but I don’t think I would put it in the same class as Jones v Gustafson I, Aldo v Mendes II, or even St Pierre v Hendricks or Lawler v Condit. Lawler v MacDonald is the gold standard for me, and that’s just taking title fights into account.
yeahhhhhhhhhh that Lawler Vs MacDonald was nuts...

The degree to which you were entertained is a matter of personal opinion, but it seems like the popular opinion is that it was a great fight. I'm certainly not prepared to say it was the greatest fight or anything like that, but it was definitely a great one. Hight stakes, plenty of action, back and forth momentum swings and drama. Very entertaining.
Fair points & it’s a subjective experience. It was a very exciting & entertaining fight for sure.

Gastelum going for a takedown when Izzy was fucked up leaning on the cage ....is up there with chaels spinning back fist

Really, How come?

It was very similar to all the fights you mentioned, back and forth action the whole time and like all those fights (minus Aldo vs Mendez 2) it basically came down to who wanted it more and was willing to step it up and gut it out in the 5th to secure the win.

How can you possibly use those fights as your barometer and say you couldn't put this fight in the same class?

I loved this fight and it will definitely go down as an instant classic, not the greatest IMO but obviously that is subjective to each person.

MW title fights are special always. It's the most prestigious title IMO because of the lineage(except the Bisping and GSP "era" because both were a sham) and the fights are never short of spectacular. Minus a cpl Spider stinkers lol

Lol you GSP haters just can't keep his name out of your mouth, can you? I imagine one of you being at a restaurant ordering food and in the middle abruptly blurting out "GSP WASN'T A REAL CHAMP" as the poor waiter/waitress just nods slowly and backs away. Also Bisping, despite his grating personality, is a true warrior, and has a kind of heart you'll never understand.

Really annoying fight. So many ways Gastelum could have won that fight. He basically did everything wrong and still nearly won!

Back