Was Brock Lesnar overrated or underrated as an MMA fighter?

Overrated or underrated?

• Total voters
I picked overrated as far as public perception goes and not restricted to just Sherdog. I've always felt Fedor was a nightmare match-up for him. I think Lesnar gets cracked in the face and either retreats or desperately shoots for a double leg. Either way I never saw it going well for the guy.

He became severely underrated after he lost. He actually was a serious threat to any HW prior to his illness.

Let's see:

-He was hyped as the baddest man on the planet. He wasn't. He never beat the #1 HW.
-He was hyped as an unstoppable wrestler. He wasn't. He was outwrestled by Cain and failed to take Overeem down.
-He was hyped as a new breed of 265 lbs+ HW's. He wasn't. He lost to smaller HW's.
-He was hyped as future HW GOAT. He wasn't. He retired 5-3.

So yeah, he was severely overrated.

Herschel Walker was more athletic than Brock was and competed in MMA
he was almost 50 when he competed. he wasn't a better athlete at 48 than lesnar was at 32.

some of your favorite fighters never faced as formidable of an opponent.......

and he's still getting to the bottom of it.....

Honestly, what do you think he would look like if he wasn’t taking anything?

he was almost 50 when he competed. he wasn't a better athlete at 48 than lesnar was at 32.
How about Cejudo, just because Lesnar was bigger means he was a better athlete? and i think multiple PED suspensions proved he wasnt a natural athlete

Great wrestler, heavy ground and pound. However he had a gaping whole in his striking, and he didn't make it any better by not allowing face punching in his sparring. He had no chance against the best because of it, it also shows that he didn't take it all that seriously.
i've never seen a legit first hand account validating the "doesn't allow punches to the face" story.

Criminally underrated.

People ride the Ds of bum level amateur wrestlers like DC and Romero but no one appreciates the greatness of a true professional wrestler. If those amateurs bums were any good they would be called professionals too.

Fact: brock lesnar is the greatest wrestler in mma history. Ben askren, GSP, triple C can all suck an amateur wrestling trophy!

They don’t combined have as many world wrestling titles as brock alone does.

How about Cejudo, just because Lesnar was bigger means he was a better athlete? and i think multiple PED suspensions proved he wasnt a natural athlete
i didn't say he was the best athlete or natural.....

he was a tremendous athlete though.

If the question is "WAS he overrated" then the answer is YES.
Nowdays it's easy to forget how hyped he was after his first win.

But if the question is "IS he underrated NOW" then the answer might be different.
I have no idea how Sherdog on average rates Brock.
But I can imagine it's very easy for new fans to laugh and dismiss him entirely as if Prime Brock wouldn't even be top 30 today, making him underrated.

def overrated ..

carwin was underrated imo ... if only he could have gotten his cardio top notch and fought a little more wisely .. he was a fucking beast !!

Absolutely underrated.

How do you think NFL A-Level Athlete Greg Hardy would have done against roided up Prime Frank Mir at UFC 100 with just 4 fights experience?

How do you think 4 fight Stipe would do against Prime Mir? He'd get absolutely wrecked.

If Brock had a normal 20 fight career and stayed healthy and committed to MMA he'd no doubt be in GOAT talks.

i've never seen a legit first hand account validating the "doesn't allow punches to the face" story.
B Be it as it may he lost his composure every time he got hit with a solid shot. Thats newbie mistakes, something he shouldn't be doing if he would remedy it in training. I just don't think he took it all that seriously, and he had PED suspension or two to boot, it does put his wins in question. Then again if I had it my way there would be 0 PED testing so if you lose because you were clean thats on you, because guys are still cheating left and right.

He crushed Herring

Herring had just lost to big Nog, whom got wrecked for 2 rounds vs Herring and then managed a to sub him.

The mma landscape at this time was Fedor was a God, and Nog was number 2 a demi god.

Most of Sherdog won't remember that, but that gives you an idea of what he was able to do.

Over and Under rated. He couldn't do Jitz, He couldn't Box, he couldn't kick..... he could swing a haymaker, rag doll pretty much anyone to the ground and g n p with enthusiasm. But, he was pretty much a typical bully in that he could absolutely dish it out, but he couldn't take it very well. Further he was at best a one trick pony. He was a very very incomplete fighter whose gifts allowed him to sometimes compete successfully with more skilled fighters who were not blessed with his physical gifts. Also the UFC/Dana bent over backwards to take care of this rainmaker..... All of that said, I'd hate to be locked in a cage with him.

fedor was already declining and brock clearly had ways to win by 2010.....

Fedor's mythical armbar was failing against the likes oc Hunt and Rogers by 2007-2008.

Lesnar woulda violated him, which is why he turned down 8 figures to fight him

Over and Under rated. He couldn't do Jitz, He couldn't Box, he couldn't kick..... he could swing a haymaker, rag doll pretty much anyone to the ground and g n p with enthusiasm. But, he was pretty much a typical bully in that he could absolutely dish it out, but he couldn't take it very well. Further he was at best a one trick pony. He was a very very incomplete fighter whose gifts allowed him to sometimes compete successfully with more skilled fighters who were not blessed with his physical gifts. Also the UFC/Dana bent over backwards to take care of this rainmaker..... All of that said, I'd hate to be locked in a cage with him.

He was good at BJJ. He trained with Comprido Medeiros before even starting mma.

I enjoyed his scraps win or lose. He did pretty damn well coming into the game in such a fashion.

Underrated. He managed to capture the belt within a few years of training and beat some legends and veterans in the sport. Good luck seeing that ever again.

Back