Was Brock Lesnar overrated or underrated as an MMA fighter?

Overrated or underrated?

• Total voters
Underrated. He managed to capture the belt within a few years of training and beat some legends and veterans in the sport. Good luck seeing that ever again.

Well he was given the easiest route to the title shot. I'm sure a lot of MMA fighters would love to have his opportunity. Can you imagine another MMA fighter having only a 2-1 record and getting a title shot?

He was definetelly good, but he suffers from the same problem as Ronda did. The UFC hyped them to unbelievable levels where they would call them goats, baddest man on the planet, once ever and all that crap. When you're being called an once ever goat, people will criticize you at that parameter, and since they werent THAT good people just started saying they suck instead.

Eh. I felt like he was viewed fairly once it was all said and done. He was overhyped during his time as champ, but what champ isn't?

He was a skilled grappler and athletic as fuck, but he couldn't take a punch well and never really learned to strike.

He could have been champion then all the same, especially since Cain and JDS didn't come to championship levels until a few years after Lesnar was already at the top. He likely would have never had a long career one way or another, he's not a dude who handles losing/beatdowns well.

Solid fighter. Fun champ. Benefitted from some good matchmaking, but mostly early on. His win over Carwin was epic.

He was 5-3 (1)... He had 4 quality wins, so good on him for that, but it's not like he had a great career.

He was sauced to the tits and just brought a raw strength that many couldn't deal with.

Brock had a genuine appetite to compete and he brought a legit pedigree to the table. He was the real deal, most definitely not like the delusion of a CM Punk.

He was sauced to the tits and just brought a raw strength that many couldn't deal with.

Brock had a genuine appetite to compete and he brought a legit pedigree to the table. He was the real deal, most definitely not like the delusion of a CM Punk.

He actually gets compared to Bb Sapp on these boards...smh.

No champion-level fighter has had a higher % of studs competed against.

9 fights: Mir 2x, Herring, Carwin, Cain (healthy), Ubereem, and Hunt.

Fedor's 18th professional fight was winless MW Jap Yuji Nagata

The one big knocked back is the PEDs, which is unforgivable IMHO.

Having said that: after the WWE he was sent directly in the death row of HW (minus Fedor) and even became champion.
Not a lot of fights, but his resume is impeccable. He lost to legendary monsters (and Mir but that was at the beginning). He even has a win against Shane Carwin aka Francis Ngannou of that era.

He's underrated.

He was good at BJJ. He trained with Comprido Medeiros before even starting mma.
He perhaps trained bjj, but good??? Really? When I saw him submitted by Mir he seemed absolutely panicked even before it was locked in. Additionally I don't remember seeing his Jiu Jitsu play any significant roll in his ufc fights. I appreciate your input concerning his training, but GOOD I must have missed that. Not the first time I've missed something.

Fedor's mythical armbar was failing against the likes oc Hunt and Rogers by 2007-2008.

Lesnar woulda violated him, which is why he turned down 8 figures to fight him
Fedor has 39 wins Brock 5.... Fedor had a career that spanned decades and lost 1 out of his first 30+ fights. Brock has lost 3 of his first 8. Now in Fairness to Brock, he was thrown in the deep end and fought animals right from the git-go. But, do you really see Fedor tapping to Mir or getting KOd by Arlovski? I know there is MMA math is at best just a snapshot of skills at a given time, but Fedor plowed both of these guys in 1 and both of them stopped Lesnar in 1. It's hardly conclusive, but it is perhaps indicative of a likely outcome.

I personally think he's overrated, he was given an easy route to the title. Faster than anyone that's ever been in the UFC. Undeserving imo, but understandable considering how much a draw he is.

He could have easily lost to lesser opponents while building up his resume. So I guess why not speed up the process and give him his title shot, with only a 2-1 record.

074velasquezvslesnar.1327563718.0.jpg

Underrated, probably the toughest resume for that many fights in modern history, plus he won a few. Good chin as well (no he didn’t like being hit but he could take one) and didn’t duck anyone, he was even meant to fight JDS as well.

Fedor has 39 wins Brock 5.... Fedor had a career that spanned decades and lost 1 out of his first 30+ fights. Brock has lost 3 of his first 8. Now in Fairness to Brock, he was thrown in the deep end and fought animals right from the git-go. But, do you really see Fedor tapping to Mir or getting KOd by Arlovski? I know there is MMA math is at best just a snapshot of skills at a given time, but Fedor plowed both of these guys in 1 and both of them stopped Lesnar in 1. It's hardly conclusive, but it is perhaps indicative of a likely outcome.

When did Lesnar get KO'd by AA?

Yes, I can absolutely see Fedor getting tapped by Mir...especially if given a BS ref restart in a fight he was dominating. . A concussed Mir tapped Nog fwiw
Lesnar piss pounded Mir in the rematch.

mmmmm

If he was able to train striking at 30, does he beat well rounded fighters like overeem?

Let's see:

-He was hyped as the baddest man on the planet. He wasn't. He never beat the #1 HW.
-He was hyped as an unstoppable wrestler. He wasn't. He was outwrestled by Cain and failed to take Overeem down.
-He was hyped as a new breed of 265 lbs+ HW's. He wasn't. He lost to smaller HW's.
-He was hyped as future HW GOAT. He wasn't. He retired 5-3.

So yeah, he was severely overrated.

Purime Coleman or Ironhead wouldve sonned that boi

He was effing awesome. Undeniable given lack of MMA experience.

Lesnar definitely could've been better than he actually was but at the same time if he didn't get diverticulitis his last few UFC fights might've gone diferent for him.

Hes exactly what most people thought.

An insane athlete who had a short window of success before people figured out how to deal w him.

Well he was given the easiest route to the title shot. I'm sure a lot of MMA fighters would love to have his opportunity. Can you imagine another MMA fighter having only a 2-1 record and getting a title shot?
Fair point but I still think my point stands. Most heavyweights or competitors in general lose to absolute nobodies in their early days of their career.

When did Lesnar get KO'd by AA?

Yes, I can absolutely see Fedor getting tapped by Mir...especially if given a BS ref restart in a fight he was dominating. . A concussed Mir tapped Nog fwiw
Lesnar piss pounded Mir in the rematch.
FIRST OF ALL MEA CULPA (My Bad) Good Call. I was misremembering it was Alister Overeem not AA. Sure it only took Brock 2 fights to get a win over Mir. I'm not exactly sure how one defines piss pounding, but Brock did indeed mug Mir for 2 ROUNDS to get the stopage. As a note it took Fedor less than 1 minute to PISS POUND Mir in his first try. They (Brock & Fedor) aren't going to fight and at this point even if they do, we'll only know how old Fedor and Old Brock do.... Additionally while I think it's awesome that you can absolutely see Fedor getting tapped by Mir.. I actually did see Brock getting tapped and it required no imagination 'cuz it was real. I'm not a real Fedor fan, but 39-6 compares favorably to 5-3. But, Conjecture away!

Back