War Room Lounge v74: Enjoy your whiskey tide pods

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was house hunting, I already knew that this was something I wanted. Maybe the third place I looked at had a 2 car garage that the previous owner set up some workbenches and a wall mounted peg board. I knew it was the one.
6 months later, I have a pretty nice workshop and home gym in there. I finished up a jewelry organizer project as a gift to my gf last weekend.
Like, I want the garage for a small power rack system in it so I can stop having to pay a monthly gym fee. MOST houses here in Utah have basements already I just want one that is mostly finished so I can have a work bench down there with a small drill press and like vice to tinker on my guns and shit and I have a good work space to clean them.. cause right now my cleaning platform is a TV dinner tray from Amazon... -_-

When I buy a house... garage must have space for a workbench or a finished basement where I can have a workbench.
I have always said, if I ever see the point in buying a house, it's going to be that it's got room for a snooker table. If you're going to get a house you ought to make sure you can enjoy your favorite hobbies.

And,
Inb4 shouting that of course there's a point and stop being poor and so on. I didn't get married until my 40's. Neither of us at this moment wants a 30 year mortgage on a home whose interest rates will only rise (considering current conditions), and when we have no one to leave a house to. If things continue on their current trajectory, we could be looking at jumping into the market the next time there's a major economic storm.

I thought they were sloppy as hell. Tyson was ridiculously overrated.

I never got that into watching boxing, but it seemed crazy to me that Tyson had faced so few big names (big names being names I recognize) up through his prime. At 30, the only HOF boxer he'd beaten was Larry Holmes, and he then lost to Holyfield back-to-back.

Is that right?

Seems like another case of anti-commons issues in boxing.

I have always said, if I ever see the point in buying a house, it's going to be that it's got room for a snooker table. If you're going to get a house you ought to make sure you can enjoy your favorite hobbies.

And,
Inb4 shouting that of course there's a point and stop being poor and so on. I didn't get married until my 40's. Neither of us at this moment wants a 30 year mortgage on a home whose interest rates will only rise (considering current conditions), and when we have no one to leave a house to. If things continue on their current trajectory, we could be looking at jumping into the market the next time there's a major economic storm.
I'm at that stage where what I will PROBABLY do is buy a condo, and when my folks move to Utah (yes, the rents are moving out here cause they have no family in WA and want to be closer to me and get out of WA) they'll put my name on the mortgage for the house so that when they pass/move into assisted living it's super easy to transfer to me and hopefully by then the condo/townhouse is paid off and I can rent it for extra income.

I believe you, in as much as that is undoubtedly what you think, but it's rather self-limiting. The context and purpose of the question frame the parameters, not the viewer. Part of good reasoning is recognizing context.

If you're conducting an experiment in materials science (I presume that's what you meant by matlab), for example, you need to be empirically rigorous. The only logic you would use in such a context is fully mathematically rigorous, and therefore subject to rote calculation. For reference, look up symbolic logic. But I digress.

The framing of the problem, beginning with three wise men, is all that is required to deduce that the extended silence on the part of the latter 2 guys means they are unable to answer because they don't know even though they are wise.

Matlab is a scientific computing language -- it cant execute if an array is off -- thats how it relates to the riddle.Using math as relation to word riddles is a faulty comparison -- as the purpose is to any equation/formula/answer is to make it as elegant as possible.

Again, wise is a nebulous term that can be unrelated to logic or intelligence. Thats the point,take as much uncertainty you can out before delivering a definitive answer. The "Blue eyes" riddle does a good job of eliminating as much uncertainty while delivering a challenging puzzle.

A group of people with assorted eye colors live on an island. They are all perfect logicians -- if a conclusion can be logically deduced, they will do it instantly. No one knows the color of their eyes. Every night at midnight, a ferry stops at the island. Any islanders who have figured out the color of their own eyes then leave the island, and the rest stay. Everyone can see everyone else at all times and keeps a count of the number of people they see with each eye color (excluding themselves), but they cannot otherwise communicate. Everyone on the island knows all the rules in this paragraph.

On this island there are 100 blue-eyed people, 100 brown-eyed people, and the Guru (she happens to have green eyes). So any given blue-eyed person can see 100 people with brown eyes and 99 people with blue eyes (and one with green), but that does not tell him his own eye color; as far as he knows the totals could be 101 brown and 99 blue. Or 100 brown, 99 blue, and he could have red eyes.

The Guru is allowed to speak once (let's say at noon), on one day in all their endless years on the island. Standing before the islanders, she says the following:

"I can see someone who has blue eyes."

Who leaves the island, and on what night?

There are no mirrors or reflecting surfaces, nothing dumb. It is not a trick question, and the answer is logical. It doesn't depend on tricky wording or anyone lying or guessing, and it doesn't involve people doing something silly like creating a sign language or doing genetics. The Guru is not making eye contact with anyone in particular; she's simply saying "I count at least one blue-eyed person on this island who isn't me."

And lastly, the answer is not "no one leaves."

Last edited:
I never got that into watching boxing, but it seemed crazy to me that Tyson had faced so few big names (big names being names I recognize) up through his prime. At 30, the only HOF boxer he'd beaten was Larry Holmes, and he then lost to Holyfield back-to-back.

Name value is hard to quantify, but I'd guess that Spinks was well-known for being part of the great '76 team, being an all-time great at LHW, and the "wins" over Holmes and the lineal champ. Not a great fighter at HW, though. Tubbs was also kind of a name but not a great pro. Tucker and Thomas were solid guys. Berbick was OK. Smith wasn't bad. I'm not saying that Tyson was a bum or anything. But I think if you rewatch his old fights--not the can-crushing but when he faced decent opponents--it just doesn't look the same as people remember them. Really threw dust in a lot of people's eyes.

Tyson is great because to see a guy, with his fucking build, move the way he did was BONKERS in addition to that ridiculous power he had.

It's like Wladimir and Vitali. Not their faults that basically no one else in their eras could hold a candle to them.

@Crazy Diamond to add to that last post of mine, there's a part of me that wants to own where I live too cause I'm low-key terrified that landlords will sell a house while I'm renting and the new owners won't want to rent and then I'm out on my ass.

Last edited:
As I said, I power skimmed. But... doing the problem in your head is one thing, actually putting down the answer is another. Surely you must see the futility of handing a blind man a pencil.
You dont draw the answer, it's multiple choice. Diagrams just help you work out more complicated issues, like a math problem. I actually agree with Alan on this. More time is a better solution.

ask him for his full proof algorithm to predict elections

Foolproof!

Here's an engineering question for you: I'm interviewing an engineer this weekend and I thought a good icebreaker would be to get him to introduce engineering to the audience by explaining a few memes.

Know of any that would make for good engineering in-jokes across subdusciplines, that also aren't completely obscure?

My backup plan is to have him guess the type of engineering different celebrities studied lol.

Pep, Duran, and Jofre are notable omissions on your resume-based list, and from what we can see of them, they are clearly great fighters by any standard.

I could never forget Robeartoe, he's probably my fave fighter of all-time. He's got arguably the best single W in boxing history and copped a serious EVT over Hagler.

There he was several years off his best at a far less effective weight where before you've even seen him fight cuts a relatively unimpressive figure: Then you do and it's revealed he has unequivocally diminished attributes, ability, will to fight, and even worse, lesser motivated training habits than before when he had the surprisingly fast hands, cat-like reflexes, greater agility and fluidity in his defensive upperbody movement, fresher wheels, higher level of stamina, a more consistent work rate and if not more power relative to the divisions then certainly a higher capacity to get his shots off and find the target.

The multitude of angles Duran was able to attack, slip, roll, duck and counter effectively from just isn't even comparable. It's a wicked reality of what were looking at here as compared to a 135-147 Duran who'd put everything together circa mid-70s and culminating in his historic triumph over a primed, undefeated Ray Leonard.

Still, he went in with the highly capable, highly conditioned ambidextrous Top 5 ATG Middleweight who was right in the thick of a seven-year, 12-defense reign at the top and basically operating right near the height of his powers. What happens? He doesn't just last the distance with him - something every other Hagler title challenger aside from Ray Leonard failed to do - he fights competitively, he wins rounds, and at times makes him look tentative, ordinary, even puzzled by not fighting in the manner that on paper should've afforded a natural counterpuncher like Hagler the chance to look dominant and impressive in what up to that point was considered the biggest fight of his career.

I hate doing lists, and determing rigid criteria is tough: Strictly Resume? Resume + Ability? Top Wins + Ability? Isn't it actually ability/skill that determines the quality of fighters on a resume? Does the level of dominance or career longevity play significant factors? How much weight does successfully running through multiple divisions carry? Always felt boxing fans had the liberty to emphasize whichever aspects they saw fit, so long as it can be intelligently argued and done with some level of consistency across the board.

Matt McGrain's was a pretty solid template for at least attempting to rank the greatest boxers since SRR though:

01. Muhammad Ali
02. Roberto Duran
03. Sugar Ray Leonard
04. Pernell Whitaker
05. Roy Jones, Jr.
06. Carlos Monzon
07. Eder Jofre
08. Marvin Hagler
09. Julio Cesar Chavez, Sr.
10. Emile Griffith
11. Jose Napoles
12. Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
13. Manny Pacquiao
14. Alexis Arguello
15. Michael Spinks
16. Thomas Hearns
17. Bernard Hopkins
18. Carlos Ortiz
19. Fighting Harada
20. Ruben Olivares
21. Evander Holyfield
22. Salvador Sanchez
23. Wilfredo Gomez
24. Vicente Saldivar
25. Dick Tiger

Muhammad Ali's best wins, resume depth and peak ability are extremely hard to argue against although I feel both Duran and Leonard were better fighters and the only two with any true argument here. Pernell is one of the five best fighters I've ever seen on film to this point and (I believe) has the best resume of anyone since SRL capped his legacy with the Hagler win in '87. It goes without saying that I consider Chavez a clear win and I scored the De La Hoya bout - who was #2 P4P - 114-112 in his favor. This can change things quite dramatically, see. Even without Oscar...

Mike McCallum was a (huge) snub here for me as I consider him the greatest Light Middleweight of All-Time (albeit brief history) and had him taking the second fight against a prime middleweight James Toney pretty clearly whilst past his own best and consider Sumbu Kalambay one of the Top 10 defensively skilled fighters of all-time, avenging a previous defeat against a stylistic nightmare.

He also wiped out an undefeated Julian Jackson and holds wins over numerous other world-class technicians (Donald Curry, Herol Graham, Michael Watson). He's got couple losses, but the level of formidability in his opposition and win column is quite amazing tbh. He was passed over for fights with both Thomas Hearns and/or Roberto Duran at 154 in the mid-1980s who stood to make more coin fighting eachother.

Uncertainty plays a pretty big role in my PhD thesis.

Thats not applied -- your thesis (i am assuming) is not deploying something to final stage. Thats what i meant by working with -- i would never deploy something if i was uncertain about a controllable feature or factor.

Name value is hard to quantify, but I'd guess that Spinks was well-known for being part of the great '76 team, being an all-time great at LHW, and the "wins" over Holmes and the lineal champ. Not a great fighter at HW, though. Tubbs was also kind of a name but not a great pro. Tucker and Thomas were solid guys. Berbick was OK. Smith wasn't bad. I'm not saying that Tyson was a bum or anything. But I think if you rewatch his old fights--not the can-crushing but when he faced decent opponents--it just doesn't look the same as people remember them. Really threw dust in a lot of people's eyes.

no but for real, who are some of your favorite HW fighters? or ones you deemed the best?

Foolproof!

Here's an engineering question for you: I'm interviewing an engineer this weekend and I thought a good icebreaker would be to get him to introduce engineering to the audience by explaining a few memes.

Know of any that would make for good engineering in-jokes across subdusciplines, that also aren't completely obscure?

My backup plan is to have him guess the type of engineering different celebrities studied lol.

What are you interviewing him for? I guess waterloo being in the top 3 schools in canada (assuming you still live in the region) and them forgetting to factor in the weight of the books when designing the library is a good classic and regional example

Thats not applied -- your thesis (i am assuming) is deploying something to final stage. Thats what i meant by working with -- i would never deploy something if i was uncertain about a controllable feature or factor.

Even applied: communications systems, radar systems, portfolio optimization, anything robust all uses uncertainty right into application. In all of these cases the best you can do is come up with some kind of a distribution which ''adequately'' captures what your application is doing, and then you design based on that. But what happens when the rubber meets the road? Could be anything. But it probably won't be (which is a major point in my thesis).

Ayo these dudes in here talking about LOGIC

{<jordan}

The thing too to keep in mind about Tyson is when he fought those "decent opponents" as @Jack V Savage put it... wasn't that POST prison sentence, POST losing D'Amato, and during his mental... issues?

What are you interviewing him for? I guess waterloo being in the top 3 schools in canada (assuming you still live in the region) and them forgetting to factor in the weight of the books when designing the library is a good classic and regional example

Podcast! It's about how people decide what to study in university and where they end up 5-10 years later.

Also that is hilarious and will work very well lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back