War Room Lounge v74: Enjoy your whiskey tide pods

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Tyson was already losing heart at this point. Maintaining head movement, keeping both hands up requires a degree more of intensity than not. Like maintaining total body tension doing squats - works better but you will sweat your butt off.
I guess at this point he had achieved all of the goals, made tons of money and thought it would always be easy to make more if push came to shove. It would be hard to maintain the old level of intensity.

The thing too to keep in mind about Tyson is when he fought those "decent opponents" as @Jack V Savage put it... wasn't that POST prison sentence, POST losing D'Amato, and during his mental... issues?

the Mike Tyson who destroyed Michael Spinks would have given any top 10 ATG issues.

Tyson, when he was utilizing combos, and especially body shots was a fu*king monster.

My point is it helps most people to draw these questions but that is not the only way to answer these questions. So why does the whole thing need to be thrown out? Maybe give the guy an extra hour at best.

It shouldn't be a requirement to draw in order to be a lawyer but come on. If you are disabled you need to meet society half way. I am fine accommodating people to a degree but they should recogize that the rest of us have to live our lives to.
Yeah it seems like it could be worked out with the ADA for reasonable requirements for blind people without changing the entire test.

Foolproof!

Here's an engineering question for you: I'm interviewing an engineer this weekend and I thought a good icebreaker would be to get him to introduce engineering to the audience by explaining a few memes.

Know of any that would make for good engineering in-jokes across subdusciplines, that also aren't completely obscure?

My backup plan is to have him guess the type of engineering different celebrities studied lol.
Here's a freebie
bccca6d5cacaf1ae4b8d98d937ba696d.jpg

Even applied: communications systems, radar systems, portfolio optimization, anything robust all uses uncertainty right into application. In all of these cases the best you can do is come up with some kind of a distribution which ''adequately'' captures what your application is doing, and then you design based on that. But what happens when the rubber meets the road? Could be anything. But it probably won't be (which is a major point in my thesis).

But you dont deploy without factoring the variables you control. I just worked on an eglint/signit deployment -- if someone asked me, did you make sure it integrated with the costumers receiver to ensure they can mediate the data, and i simply say yes because our receivers always work with our LPDA's - i would be an idiot. My point is, you deploy with as much information as you can, and the deal with everything else with contingencies.

Podcast! It's about how people decide what to study in university and where they end up 5-10 years later.

Also that is hilarious and will work very well lol.

and it proves my point -- library x is designed to hold 1'000'000 books over 10 floors!!!!

ughh -- goosebumps novels or 10'000 page encyclopedias?

shit...

You dont draw the answer, it's multiple choice. Diagrams just help you work out more complicated issues, like a math problem. I actually agree with Alan on this. More time is a better solution.
Well, fair enough. I definitely did not read the whole thing.

dm me your podcast link

Maybe in the future :)

It's not yet fully public. Still under construction.

This is a great city for interviewing engineers though. I've got 4 lined up after this weekend, each with a very different perspective. Start-up guys, outdoorsman, real estate managers, etc.

But you dont deploy without factoring the variables you control. I just worked on an eglint/signit deployment -- if someone asked me, did you make sure it integrated with the costumers receiver to ensure they can mediate the data, and i simply say yes because our receivers always work with our LPDA's - i would be an idiot. My point is, you deploy with as much information as you can, and the deal with everything else with contingencies.

Radar and communication systems specifically use uncertainty to work. If I design a portfolio of stocks and bonds, I don't know what the stock/bond market is going to do, but I have some idea of the variance of the stock market, its trend, its skewness and kurtosis and I have constraints provided by the customer, but I am still quite uncertain what is going to happen once I push play. Even if I find some sort of a cointegration, that might collapse at any moment.

The entire field of robust engineering works under uncertainty. This is not the same as a contingency: that would be worst case, which is a way of implementing a system robustly, but the field has moved well beyond that point because worst case systems suck. Allowing for uncertainty gives way better performance subject to probabilistic bounds on things like failure etc.

@Crazy Diamond to add to that last post of mine, there's a part of me that wants to own where I live too cause I'm low-key terrified that landlords will sell a house while I'm renting and the new owners won't want to rent and then I'm out on my ass.
Roger that. Gentrification is a bitch. Up the street from here, friends who lived in the same place 10 years at least (can't remember exactly) had the place they rented sold, and got booted out. It might be the best thing that ever happened to them though. House prices aren't nearly as bad here as the rest of the country so they finally bought their own. Re: my earlier mention of not seeing the point, everyone's circumstances are different when it comes to the value of home ownership.

I liked Rip, but this "free ripskater" shit is so cringy

Tyson is great because to see a guy, with his fucking build, move the way he did was BONKERS in addition to that ridiculous power he had.

It's like Wladimir and Vitali. Not their faults that basically no one else in their eras could hold a candle to them.

@Crazy Diamond to add to that last post of mine, there's a part of me that wants to own where I live too cause I'm low-key terrified that landlords will sell a house while I'm renting and the new owners won't want to rent and then I'm out on my ass.

Meh, I agree that short, shredded dudes (see: Paul Harris, Sean Sherk) are just cool in combat sports, but you can see that by turning on the NFL any day, even back then.

Mike Tyson is nothing athletically compared to Adrian Peterson, Bo Jackson, Todd Gurley, Herschel Walker, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back