War Room Lounge v74: Enjoy your whiskey tide pods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
screen-shot-2019-10-05-at-12.58.27-pm.png

Imagine being aged for 12 years only to end up as a meme.

Mod Note: This thread is for general conversation and any other conversations to avoid derails in regular threads. If you find yourself going off topic in a thread, please quote the person's post, come in here, click "insert quote" and continue on in here. This is also still the War Room. Do not expect OT/Bare Knuckles rules in here.

(took the liberty of correcting some of the grammar)

let's set the mood right

This feels like something that Jack Daniels or Jim Beam would do first... not Glenlivet.

I'm legit starting to rethink my "treat myself" Scotch brand because of this development to something like Glenfidditch or Laphroaig or The MacCallan.

@Fawlty , for the next OT thread the topic should be Halloween costumes,
Remind me closer to Halloween.

Also let's get this bet thing going soon, I'll throw a few things out there. Do we agree the following count as not being nice?

Name-calling (with only obvious friendly exceptions), including "cuck, incel" etc. along with the more usual ones
Telling somebody their position is stupid, retarded, etc. instead of explaining how you think it's wrong
Overt racism and other bigotry, or blanket statements based on stereotypes about groups
A tougher one (what's your take?):

Insults that associate somebody with something unfairly, or rudely. Like saying that a person only holds a certain position because they're a Trump cultist. This can get tricky because there are partisans who will blindly defend party line stuff, and it's possible to criticize that behavior while still being nice. Not sure where to draw the line here.

Also let's get this bet thing going soon, I'll throw a few things out there. Do we agree the following count as not being nice?

Name-calling (with only obvious friendly exceptions), including "cuck, incel" etc. along with the more usual ones
Telling somebody their position is stupid, retarded, etc. instead of explaining how you think it's wrong
Overt racism and other bigotry, or blanket statements based on stereotypes about groups

Insults that associate somebody with something unfairly, or rudely. Like saying that a person only holds a certain position because they're a Trump cultist. This can get tricky because there are partisans who will blindly defend party line stuff, and it's possible to criticize that behavior while still being nice. Not sure where to draw the line here.
Why don't you make it easier on yourselves and just do a poll at the end of the period to see who was nicer. Figure out the voter registry at the beginning so you can not count the brigading trolls that will inevitably follow.

On a side note, we're getting close to the end of the year awards and PotWR elections, aren't we?

Why don't you make it easier on yourselves and just do a poll at the end of the period to see who was nicer. Figure out the voter registry at the beginning so you can not count the brigading trolls that will inevitably follow.

On a side note, we're getting close to the end of the year awards and PotWR elections, aren't we?
Too partisan a process. I also wouldn't want LI to have to stoop to groveling to right wingers to get someone on side. An indignity, imo. I prefer the one-strike-you're-out bet.

Mod Note: This thread is for general conversation and any other conversations to avoid derails in regular threads. If you find yourself going off topic in a thread, please quote the person's post, come in here, click "insert quote" and continue on in here. This is also still the War Room. Do not expect OT/Bare Knuckles rules in here.

(took the liberty of correcting some of the grammar)

On a point of pedantry Glenlivet makes Whisky not Whiskey.

This feels like something that Jack Daniels or Jim Beam would do first... not Glenlivet.

Tide pods never even came across here, I was barely aware of it. So seems a weird marketing strategy, maybe only for the American market.

A switch to Laphroaig may be overdue!

I agree with all of this.

Ok, should we get it started now?

I'll sign first.

Logicalinsanity

@Jack V Savage , @Sketch and @Kafir-kun you are witnesses to the signing.

I like the LW posting guidelines:

Aim to explain, not persuade. Write your true reasons for believing something, not what you think is most likely to persuade others. Try to offer concrete models, make predictions, and note what would change your mind.

. Make personal statements instead of statements that try to represent a group consensus (“I think X is wrong” vs. “X is generally frowned upon”). Avoid stereotypical arguments that will cause others to round you off to someone else they’ve encountered before. Tell people how you think about a topic, instead of repeating someone else’s arguments (e.g. “But Nick Bostrom says…”).

Get curious. If I disagree with someone, what might they be thinking; what are the moving parts of their beliefs? What model do I think they are running? Ask yourself - what about this topic do I not understand? What evidence could I get, or what evidence do I already have?

Of course we do get a lot of people just repeating points that have been made and debunked dozens of times (sometimes even in the same thread).

Tide pods never even came across here, I was barely aware of it. So seems a weird marketing strategy, maybe only for the American market.

A switch to Laphroaig may be overdue!
I like Johnny Walker Blue but I ain't willing to pay for it. Only drink it when someone else is picking up the tab or when I was working at bars... Even when I was supposed to drink it for a shifter.

I like Johnny Walker Blue but I ain't willing to pay for it. Only drink it when someone else is picking up the tab or when I was working at bars... Even when I was supposed to drink it for a shifter.

My mate was on a cruise and they mucked something up with his booking so he got a free platinum drinks package as compo, said he must have drank 5 figures worth of whisky in a week. Also said some of the real expensives ones are "amost" worth the price!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back