War Room Lounge v57: We Sher Love Dogs

Favorite Breeds of Dogs? Pick up to three (pulled from AKC.org rankings)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those were all in like #20-30 from the AKC popularity rankings. The poll couldn't contain their awesomeness.

But my post was totally like something you would have said to Greg if it was your poll.
I’d have remember greg posts here and included his kind of dog!

Mod Note: This thread is for general conversation and any other conversations to avoid derails in regular threads. If you find yourself going off topic in a thread, please quote the persons post, come in here, click insert quote, and continue on in here. This is also still the War Room. Do not expect OT/Bare Knuckles rules in here.

Odd Note:
"

‘I live here: “Wessex” is my name:
I am a dog known rather well:
I guard the house but how that came
To be my whim I cannot tell.

‘With a leap and a heart elate I go
At the end of an hour’s expectancy
To take a walk of a mile or so
With the folk I let live here with me.

‘Along the path, amid the grass
I sniff, and find out rarest smells
For rolling over as I pass
The open fields toward the dells.

‘No doubt I shall always cross this sill,
And turn the corner, and stand steady,
Gazing back for my Mistress till
She reaches where I have run already,

‘And that this meadow with its brook,
And bulrush, even as it appears
As I plunge by with hasty look,
Will stay the same a thousand years.’

Thus ‘Wessex.’ But a dubious ray
At times informs his steadfast eye,
Just for a trice, as though to say,
‘Yet, will this pass, and pass shall I?’

"
― Thomas Hardy

"Time to go down to the basement for some more hauntingly delicious...who chewed up my sneakers?!
― Count Chocula

How ‘bout “hound”. One word, thousands of breeds. Beagle is the only one you offered.

I know the difference between dog breeds, and you forgot pugs, sheepdogs, st Bernard’s Bernese mountain dogs and bull mastiff and Boston terriers

Breeds are sure interesting, I do enjoy the science of it all. There are applications to such..... experiments...

Because I think (based only on lived experience, in all fairness) that it’s ridiculous to blame “liberalism” for the recession in the late 70’s and early 80’s, for example. Finger neo-liberalism sure, but that term has fuck all to do with being a liberal, while the tweets deliberately conflated the two. I.e. grade A bullshit.

How ‘bout “hound”. One word, thousands of breeds. Beagle is the only one you offered.
Maybe so, but on the other hand, I'm not always keen on doing a pile of research for a poll in a thread that kicks over every 5-7 days.

Well, with the great offense Simon is taking to Trump's truthful comments about Baltimore, you'd think he wasn't the creator of the show that explored the vast amount of issues in that shit hole.

Because I think (based only on lived experience, in all fairness) that it’s ridiculous to blame “liberalism” for the recession in the late 70’s and early 80’s, for example. Finger neo-liberalism sure, but that term has fuck all to do with being a liberal, while the tweets deliberately conflated the two. I.e. grade A bullshit.

There's a gap in this train for me, but isn't this about the decline of extended-family connections? I think liberalism could play a big role in there, in that it is inherently opposed to tribalism and nepotism, but @Kafir-kun also provided a cultural-evolution-based explanation that seems plausible (which, of course, doesn't mean it's correct).

Throughout our history ("our"=humans here), we've developed rituals--food-processing, tool-making, divination, etc.--that no one engaging in them could explain the benefits of but that were actually extremely important to our survival. A liberal in most times and places could get killed--either by offending the tribe or my skipping steps in those rituals that didn't *seem* essential but that we now know are. But that last clause is important. We have reached a point in our cultural evolution where we can make liberal arguments for stuff described here (and more in the book referenced). It might be that there are good liberal arguments for deepening extended-family connections.

Well, with the great offense Simon is taking to Trump's truthful comments about Baltimore, you'd think he wasn't the creator of the show that explored the vast amount of issues in that shit hole.
Probably because Simon lived in Baltimore and isn't an uneducated partisan hack who's only interested in pointing out Baltimore's problems to blame either Democrats or the blacks. Usually both.

There's a lot to learn about what lead it to its current situation (the show actually touches on this pretty often) and I'm sure Simon has a lot to say about it. I'm guessing his explanation can't be boiled down to "Democrats run it" or "too many blacks" so it would fly right over the head of people still subscribing to Trump's rhetoric.

Good pair of tweets from Matt Yglesias that sum up one of the issues here (open the link to see the other one):

But also, Cummings' district is not actually that bad. Above-national-median wages, house prices, and educational attainment, for example. Like he did with Lewis, Trump just assumed that it's really bad because Cummings is black.

Last edited:
Probably because Simon lives in Baltimore and isn't an uneducated partisan hack who's only interested in pointing out Baltimore's problems to blame either Democrats or the blacks. Usually both.

There's a lot to learn about what lead it to its current situation (the show actually touches on this pretty often) and I'm sure Simon has a lot to say about it. I'm guessing his explanation can't be boiled down to "Democrats run it" or "too many blacks" so it would fly right over the head of people still subscribing to Trump's rhetoric.

Is it not Cummings' district? What did Trump say that was untrue, exactly? Shit, half the show focuses on the corruption of it's officials, so what exactly did Trump say that out of line, other than the cardinal sin(according to Liberals) of a criticizing a black politician?

LOL @ you trying to work in some racist angle, when Trump mentioned nothing of the sort("too many blacks", WTF?). You're a good little sheep.

btw there aren't many better ways to show how broken the electoral college system is when you can deliberately antagonize areas that house millions of voters because it won't matter if you win the hearts of some of them. So just treat them all like pieces of shit and fly your ass to Florida or New Hampshire.

Is it not Cummings' district? What did Trump say that was untrue, exactly? Shit, half the show focuses on the corruption of it's officials, so what exactly did Trump say that out of line, other than the cardinal sin(according to Liberals) of a criticizing a black politician?

LOL @ you trying to work in some racist angle, when Trump mentioned nothing of the sort("too many blacks", WTF?). You're a good little sheep.
Like Jack already pointed out, Cummings district is doing alright.

btw do a little more careful reading and realize I didn't claim "too many blacks" was Trump's argument.

Like Jack already pointed out, Cummings district is doing alright.

You've convinced me. West Baltimore is a paradise. LOL.

btw do a little more careful reading and realize I didn't claim "too many blacks" was Trump's argument.

You were insinuating it. Otherwise, why even bring it up, if it wasn't said?

You've convinced me. West Baltimore is a paradise. LOL.
Hey you're free to argue why Jack is wrong. You can try do that by being snarky, but it's not very effective.

You were insinuating it. Otherwise, why even bring it up, if it wasn't said?
Cause it's a Shitdog staple whenever places like Baltimore are compared to the rest of the country or the country itself is compared to European countries. We're on Shitdog.

I'm sure you're very willing to forgive it when your fellow tribesmen say it, but don't act surprised when it's pointed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back