War Room Lounge v53: Short Notice

How do you sleep?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
would adopt without any need for other information.

I understand people will find it jarring, I'm just looking at a logically consistent reason for it. As in "that detail broke my immersion for XYZ reasons". If it's just out of personal biases, then fuck that portion of the audience. Their gripes don't really speak to the quality of the storytelling.
I've laid out my case, take it or leave it.
Besides, a lot of examples we're talking about don't consist of just one character appearing out of nowhere. It's not really gratuitous. In the Matt Damon film he was not the only western, and in The Last Samurai the plot was partially about Japan opening itself to the West (so plenty of other western characters)...
I did say both of those had internally consistent reasons for it. But it was still jarring as it seemed to be to add star power and to make the films palatable to an American audience since films are rarely cast with Asian leads.
To be clear I am completely aware that the insertion of certain characters isn't sincere (like the random chinese characters in a lot of recent movies) and exclusively to achieve some promotional goal, but if it doesn't interfere with the story in a way that makes it not believable, who cares?
For me it pulls me out of the story for a brief second and I think of the film not on its own terms as a story but as one piece of media within the wider media market landscape. I like films that don't invoke that.

Kinda off topic: the cop was standing on the side step of the truck and grabbing the driver, so as soon as it started moving he was along for the ride.
Yes but the truck stopped and he still kept grabbing the dude? He was pretty brave or foolish. He ended up rolling along the main highway.
You can feel how you want but I am just trying to explain why someone might find an issue with that approach. Personally when it comes to historical fiction I prefer when the characters are squarely situation within the wider social context and introducing a character who stands out from the cast due to their ethnicity calls for some kind explanation for me. Sure its possible that a white guy can become a samurai but that doesn't change the fact that its kind of jarring for me to see Tom Cruise as the protagonist of a film that takes place in 19th century Japan.

I have already explained why I don't think a fantasy setting negates my concerns.
In that case I think it was loosely based on a real story. A frenchman, I'm not sure the French are white, acting as a military advisor in Japan hanged out with former samurais.

And now his watch career is ended.

Big news here, fellas. Kirsten Gillibrand is holding a contest. If you donate to her campaign, you win a chance to get her blato.

I’m thinking this is the big break the Duder has been waiting for.

65215345_23843593519400065_8822028074850713600_n.png.jpg

Last edited:

"As bad as it looked."

Seriously? Nah, I don't think most of us were presuming literally all of his ligature was destroyed. I think the general consensus was that it was his ACL or his PCL or his meniscus, not his ACL, PCL, meniscus, and MCL all together.

ACL, MCL, PCL and meniscus

and

Damage in the other knee due to compensating for the bad knee. That one had been surgically repaired before.

Sounds like an excellent occasion to call it a career imo

ACL, MCL, PCL and meniscus

and

Damage in the other knee due to compensating for the bad knee. That one had been surgically repaired before.

Sounds like an excellent occasion to call it a career imo

Yeah, but how many tickets would a match between Jon Jones and a cyborg version of Santos sell?

To be clear, I'm meaning Thiago Santos with machine parts added to him, not the woman MMA fighter.

I think the insane thing is that in any normal sport, when you tear your knee, you are done and end the competition. In MMA, injuries are expected and therefore you often fight through it. Cannot be good for the outlook.

But it is also crazy to think that as recently as 20-25 years ago, an ACL tear meant early retirement for athletes.
I think a part of it is that MMA is an individual sport as opposed to a team sport and there is a lot more gravity to winning or losing a fight on your career. Also, the contract structure is different. Fighters are only paid when they fight, whereas a basketball player or a football player is still paid if they are benched for the rest of the season.

"As bad as it looked."

Seriously? Nah, I don't think most of us were presuming literally all of his ligature was destroyed. I think the general consensus was that it was his ACL or his PCL or his meniscus, not his ACL, PCL, meniscus, and MCL all together.

Yeah. Live I was pretty certain it was a torn mcl with acl intact because it would do that inside shift on him, but yet he could still get around on it so long as he made sure not to put too much weight down on it at an angle.

I was dead wrong. And to think he kept throwing kicks with this leg, and a couple with his other as well needing this one for support. This'll go down as legendary toughness and grit.

Big news here, fellas. Kirsten Gillibrand is holding a contest. If you donate to her campaign, you get a chance to get her blato.

I’m thinking this is the big break the Duder has been waiting for.

65215345_23843593519400065_8822028074850713600_n.png.jpg
LOL. She's just the worst.

The Savage Detectives is one of my favorite books.

It's weird. Halfway in, and I'm not sure whether I like it or not, but I can definitely recognize it as something special and brilliant. The first section was great.

I also have no recollection of how it got on my radar or why I put it on my Amazon list. I'm quite sure that no one I know recommended it. That mystery actually kind of adds to the experience. Just trusting that past JVS knew what he was doing when he wanted future JVS to read it.

It's weird. Halfway in, and I'm not sure whether I like it or not, but I can definitely recognize it as something special and brilliant. The first section was great.

I also have no recollection of how it got on my radar or why I put it on my Amazon list. I'm quite sure that no one I know recommended it. That mystery actually kind of adds to the experience. Just trusting that past JVS knew what he was doing when he wanted future JVS to read it.

aiEJH.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back