War Room Lounge V38: Edgar Allan Pwn's 'The Cask of a Modillado'

How would Poe say RIP in a day and age such as this, imo?

• Bannabel Lee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Murders in the Blue Morgue

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ruprecht, from wiki on Never Let Me Go:

None of those perspectives are without basis, but it does sound like some critics are disrespectful of SF and just don't want to think that Ishiguro just straight up wrote a SF story.
It's because some people are simpletons and some people have a vested interest in suggesting their "art" is somehow superior to other "art" by virtue of its form. There's this idea in performing and in writing that there's a hierarchy of quality and it's just plain dumb, with comedians and SF writers at the bottom, even though they produce some of the most interesting and profound art.

And fuck Margaret Atwood. I'm not prone to calling people elitist, but that bitch can be guillotined any time and I won't mind. (I kid, that's extreme, but if I never hear her speak again it will be a blessing.)

Regarding pop (soda for the philistines), it's death by sugar. Avoid that shit like it's crack. Carbonated water and lemon juice concentrate, just great. Add some tequila or gin and it's even greater.

Yeah, this is an exercise in logic, not a rehashing of the thread.

Why you think "de-platform" and "censor" need to cover the exact same ground. If you wanna get super nitpicky let me first tighten things up (added in green)...

P1: "De-platforming" by social media is a form of censorship
P2: The term Censorship has a generally negative connotation
P3: De-platforming has a neutral or positive connotation by comparison
P4: Choosing to substitute a more positive word/term to avoid negative connotation is a euphemism
P5: This type of euphemism is Orwellian
P6: The presence of this euphemism alone is enough to elevate the usage to be categorized as Orwellian
C: Calling social-media censorship "de-platforming" is Orwellian.

Yep. What's missing?

I'll point out, I did enough to change @VivaRevolution's mind with this method. And I did it acknowledging P1 as a fact, not hiding from the truth of it. :cool:

Hit me up when ready. About a dozen slots left.
Yes, but did you address the fact that not all censorship is "bad" and that therefore its negative connotation is misplaced sans context? In that event, can you concede there may be some who don't see "de-platforming" as "bad" censorship and that therefore a word with less negative connotation may be appropriate?

This is not my position necessarily, but it is a valid argument. Your argument is semantic to the point of ignoring real-world context, IMO.

Regarding pop (soda for the philistines), it's death by sugar. Avoid that shit like it's crack. Carbonated water and lemon juice concentrate, just great. Add some tequila or gin and it's even greater.

Oh, awesome.

I'll let you know how it is when I try it as a dieting housewife in my late 40s.

Oh, awesome.

I'll let you know how it is when I try it as a dieting housewife in my late 40s.
How do you think I keep my (NOT)girlish figure?
Have you ever looked at how much sugar there is in any pop? It's poison.

Fly over states referring to it as pop is nowhere near as bad as the people that call all soda Coke.

It's similar to the yous vs y'all people against that small fraction of yinz people living in Pittsburgh...... @Lead

Yeah, I probably did say that. I actually was a pack a day for my sophomore year of college when I lived in an apartment where you could smoke inside. But I attach that to my level of drinking at that time. When I would drink, or on the occasions that I drink now, I smoke like a chimney. Once I got down to only drinking on the weekends, it declined heavily.
This is the one thing I hate about my bouncer job. Usually end up smoking during/immediately following shifts. So... if I were on cigarettes a whole pack could PROBABLY last me like 2-3 weekends but Monday's are bad cause I'll be coughing like I have pneumonia.

This is the one thing I hate about my bouncer job. Usually end up smoking during/immediately following shifts. So... if I were on cigarettes a whole pack could PROBABLY last me like 2-3 weekends but Monday's are bad cause I'll be coughing like I have pneumonia.

lol @ "on cigarettes."

Good thing you don't do marijuana or else you'd really be in trouble.

lol @ "on cigarettes."

Good thing you don't do marijuana or else you'd really be in trouble.
I usually smoke cigars is why I make that distinction.

But I'd rather pay like $15 for a pack of smokes that I can then pawn off over the night onto patrons that try to bum smokes instead of dropping $25 for a single Cohiba black. Sure, I can smoke it for like an hour or some shit but that means I have to show up to shift an hour early and when we close for the night employees can smoke inside the bar cause we have industrial fans to drive the shit out but only cigarettes.

Yeah, this is an exercise in logic, not a rehashing of the thread.

Why you think "de-platform" and "censor" need to cover the exact same ground. If you wanna get super nitpicky let me first tighten things up (added in green)...

P1: "De-platforming" by social media is a form of censorship
P2: The term Censorship has a generally negative connotation
P3: De-platforming has a neutral or positive connotation by comparison
P4: Choosing to substitute a more positive word/term to avoid negative connotation is a euphemism
P6: The presence of this euphemism alone is enough to elevate the usage to be categorized as Orwellian
C: Calling social-media censorship "de-platforming" is Orwellian.

This is embarrassingly sloppy. P4 defines "euphemism" and then P5 defines "Orwellian" as "this type of euphemism," which is ambiguous but appears to refer to P4 (suggesting that "euphemism" = "Orwellian"). Could also be referring to not calling de-platforming "censorship," which would be circular. P6 is unnecessary. What this all amounts to is, if you redefine "censorship" to mean not suppressing speech but just an individual company declining to publish speech and you redefine "Orwellian" to mean any use of a word that doesn't have a maximally negative connotation, then refusing to call de-platforming "censorship" is "Orwellian." But that leaves the question of whether calling de-platforming "de-platforming" rather than "censorship" is Orwellian in the sense that normal English speakers mean the term completely unaddressed.

P1: Washing your dog is a form of torture
P2: The term "torture" has a generally negative connotation
P3: "Washing your dog" has a neutral or positive connotation by comparison
C: Calling torture "washing your dog" is Orwellian.

It's because some people are simpletons and some people have a vested interest in suggesting their "art" is somehow superior to other "art" by virtue of its form. There's this idea in performing and in writing that there's a hierarchy of quality and it's just plain dumb, with comedians and SF writers at the bottom, even though they produce some of the most interesting and profound art.

And fuck Margaret Atwood. I'm not prone to calling people elitist, but that bitch can be guillotined any time and I won't mind. (I kid, that's extreme, but if I never hear her speak again it will be a blessing.)
Wtf I love @Crazy Diamond now

P1: Washing your dog is a form of torture
P2: The term "torture" has a generally negative connotation
P3: "Washing your dog" has a neutral or positive connotation by comparison
C: Calling torture "washing your dog" is Orwellian.

Or:

P1: Being forced to use your platform in ways you don't want to without compensation is a form of slavery
P2: The term "slavery" has a generally negative connotation
P3: "Stopping censorship" has a neutral or positive connotation by comparison
C: Calling slavery "stopping censorship" is Orwellian

I usually smoke cigars is why I make that distinction.

But I'd rather pay like $15 for a pack of smokes that I can then pawn off over the night onto patrons that try to bum smokes instead of dropping $25 for a single Cohiba black. Sure, I can smoke it for like an hour or some shit but that means I have to show up to shift an hour early and when we close for the night employees can smoke inside the bar cause we have industrial fans to drive the shit out but only cigarettes.
Interestingly enough, I've never had a cigarette, but about a year or so ago I was smoking a cigar like every two or three days. It adds up but it's glorious, especially if you're going through hard times. I was going through probably the shittiest time of my life, I'd get up, work out, go to work, go to school and then sit at home. Have a double shot of Jameson and then go for a walk and light one.

I wrote some of the best and most depressing poetry ever during those times

What in the world?

The War Room was able to turn an interesting topic (de-platforming) that could have had an interesting discussion (for instance on the democratization of media consumption) into an extremely uninteresting squabble-fest over semantics. Some deserve more blame than others, but that's my take.

anigif_original-grid-image-9034-1392738187-4.gif

Or:

P1: Being forced to use your platform in ways you don't want to without compensation is a form of slavery
P2: The term "slavery" has a generally negative connotation
P3: "Stopping censorship" has a neutral or positive connotation by comparison
C: Calling slavery "stopping censorship" is Orwellian

I'm torn between wanting to continue shaming you all for continuing this argument and wanting to praise you for such an excellent post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back