War Room Lounge V38: Edgar Allan Pwn's 'The Cask of a Modillado'

How would Poe say RIP in a day and age such as this, imo?

• Bannabel Lee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Murders in the Blue Morgue

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Mod Note: This thread is for general conversation and any other conversations to avoid derails in regular threads. If you find yourself going off topic in a thread, please quote the person's post, come in here, click insert quote, and continue on in here. This is also still the War Room. Do not expect OT/Bare Knuckles rules in here.

Odd Note:
"
My love, she sleeps! Oh, may her sleep
As it is lasting, so be deep!
Soft may the worms about her creep!
Far in the forest, dim and old,
For her may some tall vault unfold
Some vault that oft has flung its black
And winged panels fluttering back,
Triumphant, o'er the crested palls,
Of her grand family funerals...

"
― Edgar Allan Poe

"Time to go down to the basement for some more hauntingly delicious...poetry is for libs!
― Count Chocula

81667868.gif

giphy-2.gif

things-that-bounce-thursday-17-gifs-29.gif

9BBEB9D92F4FE49DAE720A886C6FDC81D66289A8

Wow, thread transition speed record by Lead, well under a minute, bravo

I mean, I do agree that those are butts. That much has been established, clearly.

Since they built a freeway over part of the graveyard, does that mean the freeway is haunted? I saw Pet Sematary. Building on top of Indian graveyards is very dangerous in terms of supernatural consequences. Perhaps you could research how many car crashes happen on that stretch of freeway and compare it to the national average to determine its level of haunting (controlling for external variables of course). You could probably get a yuge grant for it too.

@Ruprecht, from wiki on Never Let Me Go:

Critics disagree over the genre of the novel. Writing for The New Yorker, Louis Menand describes the novel as 'quasi-science-fiction', saying, 'even after the secrets have been revealed, there are still a lot of holes in the story [...] it's because, apparently, genetic science isn’t what the book is about.'[4] The New York Times book reviewer Sarah Kerr wondered why Ishiguro would write in, what she dubs, the 'pop genre—sci-fi thriller', claiming the novel to 'quietly upend [the genre's] banal conventions.'[5] Horror author Ramsey Campbell labelled it as one of the best horror novels since 2000, a 'classic instance of a story that's horrifying, precisely because the narrator doesn’t think it is.'[6]

Joseph O'Neill from The Atlantic suggested that the novel successfully fits into the coming of age genre. O'Neill wrote that 'Ishiguro's imagining of the children's misshapen little world is profoundly thoughtful, and their hesitant progression into knowledge of their plight is an extreme and heartbreaking version of the exodus of all children from the innocence in which the benevolent but fraudulent adult world conspires to place them.'[7] Theo Tait, in a review for The Telegraph, has a more general perspective of story: 'Gradually, it dawns on the reader that Never Let Me Go is a parable about mortality. The horribly indoctrinated voices of the Hailsham students who tell each other pathetic little stories to ward off the grisly truth about the future – they belong to us; we've been told that we're all going to die, but we've not really understood.

None of those perspectives are without basis, but it does sound like some critics are disrespectful of SF and just don't want to think that Ishiguro just straight up wrote a SF story.

Since they built a freeway over part of the graveyard, does that mean the freeway is haunted? I saw Pet Sematary. Building on top of Indian graveyards is very dangerous in terms of supernatural consequences. Perhaps you could research how many car crashes happen on that stretch of freeway and compare it to the national average to determine its level of haunting (controlling for external variables of course). You could probably get a yuge grant for it too.
A haunted grant, no less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back