War Room Lounge v189: Big-Time Nerd Quarrels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting suckered, concussed, and foot stomped by multiple people while walking away is not karma. That was excessive and bull sit even if he may be an asshole.

He got what he was trying to dole out.

Can't ask me to feel sorry for him.

Yea everything's orchestrated these days, it sucks.

I like the market to decide things and pop culture evolve on it's own.

I don't like them engineering all the marketing before it happens.
We both think the other person is a complete loon and you just agreed with me. What in the actual #fuck2020?

We’ll take your word for it.

Why would I lie about that? What's the angle you perceive? Looking for some "get well" posts?

i'm dying over here. Feel sorry for me, and send me those "get well" posts.

Got the diagnosis already. Rest and meds...rest and meds....*sigh*...

Why would I lie about that? What's the angle you perceive? Looking for some "get well" posts?

I think he just meant that we'll take your word for it about it sucking. It's not like you're claiming to play frisbee golf.

Me: Not really into this map, one more turn though

Civ 5: One hundred more turns

Me: Good point

I’m taking your word for it that it’s similar to sucking a whole lot of dicks ....

Here's the full clip that shows both sides being belligerent, but this dude in particular being antagonistic and even shoving someone down and trying to stomp on their head:

Right wingers starting the fight, again, and whining about the outcome, again.

Hey, @tonni here's a new one,

It wasn't the first time Jim regretted that he had never learned to sew, particularly as his momma had repeatedly and vociferously reminded him of its importance as the key life skill of any bachelor, but as he struggled in vain to repair his spacesuit the precipitous drop in his oxygen supply told him it would be his last.

Hey, @tonni here's a new one,

It wasn't the first time Jim regretted that he had never learned to sew, particularly as his momma had repeatedly and vociferously reminded him of its importance as the key life skill of any bachelor, but as he struggled in vain to repair his spacesuit the precipitous drop in his oxygen supply told him it would be his last.
I don't know what any of this is about but it's good.

Wasn't the argument that you can't really serve millions upon millions of cups of molten hot lava without expecting to injure people? Like sort of a foreseeable misuse type situation?
I know @BAM covered many of the salient points, but here's a really good breakdown of the relevant events,
"Stella Liebeck was a 79 year-old woman living in New Mexico.

stella-liebeck.png

79 year-old Stella Liebeck in court. (Image Source: gruberlawgroup)
One day, she went through a McDonald's drive-through and ordered coffee. She wasn't driving. Her grandson was.

After receiving their order, they pulled into a parking spot to put cream and sugar into the coffee. There were no cup holders in the car, so Stella steadied it between her knees and opened the lid. The coffee gushed out onto her thighs and groin.

She screamed in agony, and her grandson rushed her to the hospital. As it turned out, Stella had suffered – not second degree burns, which would have been painful – but third-degree, full-thickness burns to 16% of her body.

The pictures of her burned thighs are, in a word, horrific.

She required extensive skin grafts and surgery.

Her family asked McDonald's to cover her expensive medical bills – as Stella Liebeck was retired and didn't have much money. McDonald's responded with an offer of $800.

When the family said that amount didn't come close to covering the medical expenses, McDonald's told them to get a lawyer.

The court arranged two mediation meetings, but McDonald's didn't attend either. The corporation clearly wanted a jury trial. Liebeck's lawyer approached McDonald's with a $50K settlement (note the original request for medical costs was about $30K--Andy Capp). McDonald's refused.

In court, it was revealed that McDonald's heated its coffee to 187 degrees F, or 86 C. Most coffee is heated to around 150 degrees F, or 65 degrees C. McDonald's kept it that hot because it made for a longer shelf life. In other words, it was a business decision.

McDonald's lawyers also brought in a chart showing that only 700 people had been scalded by their coffee, which they saw as statistically insignificant considering they serve millions of coffees a day. That tactic would turn out to be a mistake, as the jury found that stat anything but insignificant.

In the end, the jury decided Stella was 25% at fault for spilling her coffee, McDonald's 75% at fault for scalding her with its overheated product.

The jury awarded Stella about $200,000. But the judge wasn't happy with McDonald's, and directed the jury to implement punitive damages. So the jurors ordered McDonald's to give Stella two-days worth of coffee sales – which totaled $2.7 million.

Stella never regained her quality of life after the incident.

All she had wanted was to cover her medical expenses.

It wasn't a frivolous lawsuit.

It was a cautionary tale for corporations."

Getting suckered, concussed, and foot stomped by multiple people while walking away is not karma. That was excessive and bull sit even if he may be an asshole.
it felt really good to watch though. am i going crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back