War Room Lounge v183: I am so fortunate I feel bad that I'm depressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Social Distance Warrior

Regarding Midsommar, I didn't like it very much at all. It's beautifully shot and doubles down on a lot of Aster's elements from Hereditary but I had issues with it that are hard to discuss with spoiling anything. Most people loved it, so you should give it a shot.
Which did you like more? Hereditary had some interesting ideas and elements but overall I thought it was overrated.

Which did you like more? Hereditary had some interesting ideas and elements but overall I thought it was overrated.

I liked Hereditary much much better, and think it stands to multiple viewings far better than Midsommar does. Hereditary was like a snowballl of dread and panic from the very beginning. Midsommar is kind a depressing slog with exhibitionist horror thrown in.

I can't really get a handle on Ari Aster. His short films don't resonate, and it's entirely possible that he tripped and fell into a great film in Hereditary, but copped a lot of the formula to make Midsommar and it was just very "meh" for me, tbh.

Its legal but you're a dick if you go out of your way to specifically target his knees. If you normally throw leg kicks or go for heel hooks and stuff then I don't think you should have to alter your game because of something like this.

But I think every fighter seeks to target his opponent's weakness. Like if your opponent's right eye is shut from strikes, you'd try to go for strikes he does not see coming. So I would think that trying to stress that knee would be an expected move, and if just to bother him.

On the other hand, is it even fair to the opponent? Like a well timed oblique kick probably cripples him and then the world hates his opponent for being a dick?

But I think every fighter seeks to target his opponent's weakness. Like if your opponent's right eye is shut from strikes, you'd try to go for strikes he does not see coming. So I would think that trying to stress that knee would be an expected move, and if just to bother him.

On the other hand, is it even fair to the opponent? Like a well timed oblique kick probably cripples him and then the world hates his opponent for being a dick?
If you're consciously trying to aggravate a knee injury in the fight by going out of your normal style to do so then yeah to me you're a dick.

That's different from someone who is normally a strong leg kicker going to his normal skill set who happens to be fighting a guy with bad knees.

I love that Alabama is about to have a Senator who has zero public office experience and a BS degree in Physical Education.

Worst state in the union.
Mississippi, Kentucky and Kansas would like to have a word.

I liked Hereditary much much better, and think it stands to multiple viewings far better than Midsommar does. Hereditary was like a snowballl of dread and panic from the very beginning. Midsommar is kind a depressing slog with exhibitionist horror thrown in.

I can't really get a handle on Ari Aster. His short films don't resonate, and it's entirely possible that he tripped and fell into a great film in Hereditary, but copped a lot of the formula to make Midsommar and it was just very "meh" for me, tbh.

I liked both

I really enjoyed it. Although @Tycho Brah seemed to indicate he thought it could be tolerated at best.

It is definitely super “unique” and not for everyone. You have to do some thinking, things aren’t really spelled out for you, but I don’t think anyone can deny the performances and filmmaking are good from a technical standpoint.

Yes. Edit: I'm not sure if it's based on this story actually, but:

Thank you gentlemen for the recommendation

I love that Alabama is about to have a Senator who has zero public office experience and a BS degree in Physical Education.

Worst state in the union.

What state are you from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back