• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Volkanovski is an Enigma to Me

Alex is probably the best point fighter in UFC. He is very intelligent in how he fights and can tactically find a way to win very difficult match ups. Alex literally beat Max at his own game, twice.

Wouldn’t surprise if he keeps decisioning people for a while. Want Ortega to win but struggling to see how he pulls it off

Yeah but he's not good/decent everywhere he's elite everywhere.
i don’t agree with that at all. i don’t think he’s elite anywhere. maybe elite TDD? even then i don’t recall many people trying to take him down because his striking isn’t devastating.

If you are a fw and you try to go toe to toe against Max, you will get fucked up. Volk is smart and talented. Beating Max at fw is incredibly difficult, people forget that.

If you are a fw and you try to go toe to toe against Max, you will get fucked up. Volk is smart and talented. Beating Max at fw is incredibly difficult, people forget that.
yeah, he won the only way that was possible for him to win, but i'm not sure why that commands automatic respect.

yeah, he won the only way that was possible for him to win, but i'm not sure why that commands automatic respect.
To each its own, i understand why many guys are not a fan after the 2 Max fights but it was the only way for him to win imo. Prior to those 2 fights Volk had exciting fights. I want to see what version of him will show up against Ortega. Time will tell.

He might be the best point fighter of all time in the UFC. Held Aldo against the cage for 3 rounds in a horrible fight. Leg kicked and feinted Max for a 4-1 UD, came back from.adversity to win in the rematch via timely take downs.

He really just knows how to win, and I don't see anyone beating him at 145 if Max couldn't.
Gsp?

I had no idea he played rugby until I saw him on NRL post show promoting his Ortega fight.
Crazy he wasn't even the best rugby player in his high school, but he quits at 21...and then becomes a UFC champ in his side sport...

If he can defend the title a few more times I’d like to see him have a super fight with a huge name or the champ at LW.

Volk completely dominated the 2nd fight, while being the only one to get knocked on their ass in the 1st and 2nd round? LMAO. Seriously I'm looking for some fire weed to smoke, and you seem to have the best of the best. Hook me up cuz!

Sweet so Max won two rounds. He then let Volk right back in it and ended the fight losing the last 3 rounds. Max takes the first 2 by dropping Volk, that's fine. He then gives away the next 3. Round 3 was closest. Max played patty cake leg kicks and lost what won him the first two rounds. Max took the 3rd off and lost the fight because of it.
Bisping is so bias they make no mention of two flush leg kicks that drop max down to a hand in round 4.
Round 5 is Volk all day. 3 takedowns, equal striking and finishes the round landing ground and pound.
http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/11126/Alexander-Volkanovski-vs-Max-Holloway

Not a finisher, but knows how to win. <Fedor23>

Sweet so Max won two rounds. He then let Volk right back in it and ended the fight losing the last 3 rounds. Max takes the first 2 by dropping Volk, that's fine. He then gives away the next 3. Round 3 was closest. Max played patty cake leg kicks and lost what won him the first two rounds. Max took the 3rd off and lost the fight because of it.
Bisping is so bias they make no mention of two flush leg kicks that drop max down to a hand in round 4.
Round 5 is Volk all day. 3 takedowns, equal striking and finishes the round landing ground and pound.
http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/11126/Alexander-Volkanovski-vs-Max-Holloway

Rewatched r3 right now.

Pretty close but Volk edges it imo.

The commentary is very biased towards Holloway

Also the stats live for round 3 are bullshit
In reality it's
Volk: 25 of 52 - 48%
Max: 15 of 47 - 31%

But the live stats said Max was up 25 to 22.

Last edited:
Yeah not a fan of his staying-busy-move-a-lot-and-punch-air style

Rewathed r 3 right now.

Pretty close but Volk edges it imo.

The commentary is very biased towards Holloway

Also the stats live for round 3 are bullshit
In reality it's
Volk: 25 of 52 - 48%
Max: 15 of 47 - 31%

But the live stats said Max was up 25 to 22.

Yeah it was ridiculous watching the commentary live. Outside of the late knockdowns the first 2 rounds were really close. Max tried to point spar his way to the win after the first two rounds and let Volk back in and Volk was figuring him out and adjusting. Even with the two knockdowns Volk was the one closest to getting a finish later. Volk was starting to overwhelm Max towards the end after making him fight tooth and nail to get back up off the ground. He needs to mix it up more early if they do ever fight again and I reckon Volk takes the 3rd.

Yeah it was ridiculous watching the commentary live. Outside of the late knockdowns the first 2 rounds were really close. Max tried to point spar his way to the win after the first two rounds and let Volk back in and Volk was figuring him out and adjusting. Even with the two knockdowns Volk was the one closest to getting a finish later. Volk was starting to overwhelm Max towards the end after making him fight tooth and nail to get back up off the ground. He needs to mix it up more early if they do ever fight again and I reckon Volk takes the 3rd.

The first two rounds seemed to even be going in Volk's favor if it wasn't for the two flash knockdowns that Volk stood back up from immediately. Max's success in that fight is greatly overblown. Don't get me wrong, it was a very close fight because you need to give max those two rounds, but people act like Max schooled him or something in those first rounds. I've seen people argue that those rounds should be 10-8's because of the knockdowns lol.

One thing I can say pretty certainly, is that if those two fought with no time limit, I'd favor Alex. He was picking up a lot of steam and the takedowns were coming easier.

Last edited:
The first two rounds were probably even going in Volks favor if it wasn't for the two flash knockdowns that Volk stood back up from immediately. Max's success in that fight is greatly overblown. Don't get me wrong, it was a very close fight because you need to give max those two rounds, but people act like Max schooled him or something in those first rounds. I've seen people argue that those rounds should be 10-8's because of the knockdowns lol.

One thing I can say pretty certainly, is that if those two fought with no time limit, I'd favor Alex. He was picking up a lot of steam and the takedowns were coming easier.

That is exactly my opinion. I don't understand it at all. That fight made me realise that Volk has his number. Max usually comes on strong late, but Volk was the one doing that. It makes me think that Max can't keep up at all with him in a 5 rounder.

jon jones at least has freakish physical attributes like unprecedented height and reach. volkanovski is smaller than most of the guys he beats.

He has long reach compared to his height, that's about his only freakish physical attribute, he seems unusually strong as well I suppose.

absolutely ludicrous. most of jj's ufc wins are from finish and he utterly crucified his opponents in those decisions.

I think you missed what I was trying to say, I'm not saying Volk is better than Jones (yet) but a few important attributes can be crucial.

He has long reach compared to his height, that's about his only freakish physical attribute, he seems unusually strong as well I suppose.

I think you missed what I was trying to say, I'm not saying Volk is better than Jones (yet) but a few important attributes can be crucial.
jones’ trips and throws in the clinch are some of the best we’ve ever seen in MMA as well. i get the main point though. jones is not an incredible striker, a jiu-jitsu master, or an insane athlete, by any means.

Holloway is a great fighter but his fans are insufferable. He's going to beat Max a third time before its all said and done, too.

I truly don’t understand how anyone can think that Volk is not an Elite Striker.
he gets hit a lot. like a LOT. he’s not elusive, not insane powerful, and the technique isn’t great. he throws a lot of looping arm punches. just because he can survive on the feet against an elite striker like Aldo or Holloway doesn’t make him an elite striker by default.

Back