Volkanovski is an Enigma to Me

i don’t think he was more agile or explosive than holloway, mendes, or aldo. he has great timing which is a skill you learn with experience. i do think he’s probably really strong, especially for the division, but great athleticism is more than just being strong.
He is clearly more explosive that Max, that should be obvious to anyone that isn't legally blind.

absolutely ludicrous. most of jj's ufc wins are from finish and he utterly crucified his opponents in those decisions.
You watch his last 2 fights? He arguably lost that fight to Reyes and snuck by Santos. Crucified isn't the definition I'd use. I think he's retired.

yeah, he won the only way that was possible for him to win, but i'm not sure why that commands automatic respect.
Outside of Volk when was the last time that Max was challenged at FW? Last loss at FW was back in 2013 to McGregor, Volk beating him twice is impressive. Also got to admit I am greatly amused by the quote in your sig given your boy got lit up on the feet by a BJJ guy. Be interesting to see what you say when Volk beats Ortega.

10-8, 10-9, 10-9, 9-10, 9-10 -- Max.
200w.gif

10-8 in the first? Only person who'd concur with that is a boxing fan.

People don't like Volk = Volk sucks.

Volk isn't that good at anything.. average grappling, striking, small, only leg kicks.

Won 20 fights in a row. Lost 2 rounds in the ufc in 9 fights.
People don't like Volk = Volk sucks.

Volk isn't that good at anything.. average grappling, striking, small, only leg kicks.

Won 20 fights in a row. Lost 2 rounds in the ufc in 9 fights.
He’s a genuine good bloke who works hard at what he does, let there be haters.

You watch his last 2 fights? He arguably lost that fight to Reyes and snuck by Santos. Crucified isn't the definition I'd use. I think he's retired.
yeah, well, i don't define a fighter's entire career by their last two fights. in fact, that seems to be something that happens with Jones more than any other great fighter.

he gets hit a lot. like a LOT. he’s not elusive, not insane powerful, and the technique isn’t great. he throws a lot of looping arm punches. just because he can survive on the feet against an elite striker like Aldo or Holloway doesn’t make him an elite striker by default.
Bro. Except for the fact that Volk does not have “insane power”-although he absolutely has power … Literally, none of that is true. And not only is it not true, it’s the opposite.
He rarely gets hit.
He is extremely elusive.
And his technique is absolutely perfect.

And I’m not just saying that because he was a professional boxer.
Except for maybe Yan, he probably has the crispest boxing in the entire sport.

Last edited:
yeah, well, i don't define a fighter's entire career by their last two fights. in fact, that seems to be something that happens with Jones more than any other great fighter.
You were the one who used the word crucified when describing Jones' decision victories. I wouldn't say he crucified any of Reyes or Santos. Certainly didn't crucify OSP either. Wouldn't say Evans was crucified either.

he gets hit a lot. like a LOT. he’s not elusive, not insane powerful, and the technique isn’t great. he throws a lot of looping arm punches. just because he can survive on the feet against an elite striker like Aldo or Holloway doesn’t make him an elite striker by default.

He's literally 10th in striking differential of all time and weight classes. .. 2.71

Volkanovski strike accuracy = 56%
Volkanovski sig strikes = 6.02
Volkanovski sig absorbed = 3.31
Volkanovski sig strikes defense = 60%
Knock-down ratio 0.44

Holloway strike accuracy = 45%
Holloway sig strikes = 6.66
Holloway sig absorbed = 4.45
Holloway sig strike defence = 62%
Knock-down ratio 0.39

He's literally 10th in striking differential of all time and weight classes. .. 2.71

Volkanovski strike accuracy = 56%
Volkanovski sig strikes = 6.02
Volkanovski sig absorbed = 3.31
Volkanovski sig strikes defense = 60%
Knock-down ratio 0.44

Holloway strike accuracy = 45%
Holloway sig strikes = 6.66
Holloway sig absorbed = 4.45
Holloway sig strike defence = 62%
Knock-down ratio 0.39
that’s common for clinch heavy grapplers. go look at the heavyweight division and all you’ll find on those lists is jon madsen, a journeyman wrestler from TUF.

mixing grappling in with your striking is a skill, i won’t deny that.

that’s common for clinch heavy grapplers. go look at the heavyweight division and all you’ll find on those lists is jon madsen, a journeyman wrestler from TUF.

mixing grappling in with your striking is a skill, i won’t deny that.

Except theres only a 2% differential between Max n volk in shots thrown whilst clinching....

Volkanovski..

SIG. STR. BY POSITION
STANDING 578 (70%)
CLINCH 93 (11%)
GROUND 150 (18%)

Max

STANDING 1733 (84%)
CLINCH 190 (9%)
GROUND 148 (7%)

Try again =)

Except theres only a 2% differential between Max n volk in shots thrown whilst clinching....

Volkanovski..

SIG. STR. BY POSITION
STANDING 578 (70%)
CLINCH 93 (11%)
GROUND 150 (18%)

Max

STANDING 1733 (84%)
CLINCH 190 (9%)
GROUND 148 (7%)

Try again =)
that’s just the amount of strikes they throw from that position, not the amount of time spent in that position.

Just rewatch the fight, its free now on youtube, the second fight must be watched without Rogan's biased commentary, just mute him. If you still don't think that Volkanovski completely dominated the fight, maybe you don't understand the game that much?

"If you disagree with me, you just don't know"
Two really close fights, a lot of people thought Max won. Including many professionals and champions. But they must not know either. Cuz you know, they disagree with you.

High activity, high volume, touches opponents rather than commits to strikes

Would gas in a brawl..?.?.? Probably

Won a championship doing what he's doing.

Nah. He's easy to figure out.

High activity, high volume, touches opponents rather than commits to strikes

Would gas in a brawl..?.?.? Probably

Won a championship doing what he's doing.

Nah. He's easy to figure out. He figures out how to win.

I like him. He's tough and he's very well rounded. Watch his highlights, he strikes well enough to out hit Holloway and uses leg kicks to overcome his lack of reach- smart. He's decent in a grapple and strong as an ox which makes him hard to take down.

I agree he's not "the best" at anything but he's the most complete fighter in FW. He can out hit most guys, outwrestle some guys, outlast (cardio + chin) everyone else and fight smarter than most, so he'll adapt his style and find a way to win.

He's not much of a media blowhard and from a small country so he doesn't have much attention yet but he's excellent. I hope the Ortega fight gets rescheduled soon.

Back