Media Volk vs Islam 1 was a draw

Islam won R1 decisively, even die hard Volk fans concede that he lost R1 and i've never once heard anybody call that round into question.
I think Islam edged it, but it was hardly a blowout. Yeah, he buckled Volk, but he still got lit up a ton.

IDK, I kind of agree with BJM's sentiment here. MMA moves so fast and it kind of has to. Draws would just slow the sport down. You know the UFC would do rematches for draws and if you think people complain about rematches now, just imagine what would have happened if we would have more draws.
The UFC does rematches after violent and one-sided finishes if their preferred fighter doesn't win. John is just suggesting that people toss their hands up and pick someone.

I think Islam edged it, but it was hardly a blowout. Yeah, he buckled Volk, but he still got lit up a ton.
He not only buckled him but he took his back. Buddy, that was a very decisive Islam round. It's ok to admit when you're wrong lol.

He not only buckled him but he took his back. Buddy, that was a very decisive Islam round. It's ok to admit when you're wrong lol.
Don't remember him doing much with the position though. That shouldn't count for much under the current scoring criteria. Stalling doesn't negate getting lit up. He landed the most damaging shot of the round and won it, but otherwise it was fairly even.

I wanted him to do it not you lol
Some folks you just can't teach.
You know what they always say:

You can lead a horse to water but you can't get him to engage in an intelligent debate or post a source for basic internet research.

<Y2JSmirk>
Or something like that.

I came across the "10-10 report" a few years back. I think they look for unusual scores which indicate a likely 10-10 round such as 30-28 or 29-29.

It's a cool little resource though, and shows how extremely rare 10-10s are scored. They go WAY BACK, UFC 20s or 30s, and you can see maybe there's been 25 or so 10-10 rounds EVER scored in the UFC.

That was a significantly different fight. Hominick was getting shit kicked in until Aldo gassed in the fifth.
At no point was Islam beating Volk down like that. There were no decisive rounds with a clear winner, outside of the fifth. Even Islam's most dominant round was spent with him getting hit in the face while holding position and trying to stall out the clock.

volkanovski lost the fight, man. Idk what to tell you. I wanted him to win too.

volkanovski lost the fight, man. Idk what to tell you. I wanted him to win too.
That's the thing, I didn't want him to win. I was honestly rooting for a double-KO with retirements so I didn't have to hear about either of them ever again. Volk didn't win me over until the Yair fight.
I think everyone has just gotten so burnt out on the discussion and rematches that we're refusing to see close decisions as anything but. And that's fine. Fights like this are going to cause disagreements, especially with the scoring criteria update which somehow made it more difficult and ambiguous to score objectively.

Volk won or it was a draw. Volk won 3 and 5 while 2 was close to even. Volk ends the fight in the most dominant sequence where he’s actually on top of Islam for minutes raining down punches. When did Islam ever attempt to score damage while on the ground? For however many minutes that Islam held onto Volks back to play it safe, Volk ended the fight on top of Islam actually scoring damage and busting his face up. He was actually doing something effective on the ground while Islam was never effective on the ground besides pitching a tent on Volks back. He wasn’t getting that choke.

Then tell me by looking at each man’s face after the fight before the decision was made, which man looked more confident in his performance. Let me help you with that. It was not Islam.

May the best man on this Saturday win. Whoever wins this weekend will reap the glory and I will congratulate either of them.

Some folks you just can't teach.
You know what they always say:

You can lead a horse to water but you can't get him to engage in an intelligent debate or post a source for basic internet research.

<Y2JSmirk>
Or something like that.

I came across the "10-10 report" a few years back. I think they look for unusual scores which indicate a likely 10-10 round such as 30-28 or 29-29.

It's a cool little resource though, and shows how extremely rare 10-10s are scored. They go WAY BACK, UFC 20s or 30s, and you can see maybe there's been 25 or so 10-10 rounds EVER scored in the UFC.

Yeah I took a peek, seems like 2016 had an oddly high # of 10-10s haha wonder what that's about

I had it 4-1 Makhachev and whoever scored the fight a draw or Volk is just a fanboy.

charlie-murphy-laugh.gif

Man, people want Volk to have won SO badly that they're just forgetting everything they knew about MMA and scoring. SHEESH...
Volk did NOT beat Islam and Tibau did NOT beat Khabib!!!
Get oooovveerrrr iiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!

Did you have a stroke or something before writing this? Because you are complaining about the set of people who say Volk won, will I specifically made it clear that i belong to the set of people who think ti was a draw.

Did you have a stroke or something before writing this? Because you are complaining about the set of people who say Volk won, will I specifically made it clear that i belong to the set of people who think ti was a draw.
I'm sorry, bud. That wasn't directed AT YOU and your opinion, but rather the people that STILL cling to that shit.
I'd love to go one day on here without people bringing that up.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
<GrassoBless>

I'm sorry, bud. That wasn't directed AT YOU and your opinion, but rather the people that STILL cling to that shit.
I'd love to go one day on here without people bringing that up.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
<GrassoBless>

Ah I see, thank you for the clarification!

White belt sccount barely a month old hoping to make a splash with his hot take.

Color me surprised.

Back