Virgil Van Dijk, Long lost brother of Germaine de Randmire?

As someone who actually played both soccer and football all the way through junior age at a relevant level.

It's pointless to try and compare.
Apples and oranges

That isn't a compromised "let's be friends" kind of answer either. Anybody who claims to know is either bias, never experienced both or trying to get an objective answer by looking at stats etc and that isn't possible

I doubt you really played it, since you think the offside limit limits the speed factor. You can bypass the offside rule if you have the proper tactics and timing. Often on counter attacks, football/soccer players can dash for 80-100 meters with full speed, with or without ball. It is a game that requires a lot of skills, and arguebly is the sport that requires most overview as a playmaker, with NFl perhaps on par. NBA has less physical contact than soccer, i would say. Very different sports, hard to compare.

Max Speed
Paris Saint Germain ace Kylian Mbappe is arguably one of the fastest soccer stars on the planet. His 38kmph max speed against Monaco during the 2018/19 campaign was breath-taking.

In comparison, the quickest max speed recorded in the NFL was by Jacksonville Jaguars running back, Leonard Fournette, at 35.49kmph.

Total Distance Covered
The least comparable of any of the most important metrics is total distance. On average a Premier League player will cover between 9-11 km per game.

In the NFL, a wide receiver or corner back will run on average just over 2 km per game. However, that’s understandable when you consider that the average NFL game includes only 11 minutes of actual playing time.

source: statssports-

One guy is running in an open field with no resistance, the other guy is running with full pads + helmet on through other men and then having to look over his shoulder.

NFL players don't get to run free like a striker in soccer does. Maybe Mbappe is really fast, sure could be. I'd love to see the 40 yard dash time of Mbappe or Ronaldo or Messi or any good soccer strikers. At least we'd have a control there, but we don't have those numbers. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Total distance covered lmao? How is that even relevant. Cool. Let's see total impact numbers that don't exist either, how many soccer players would even last a single game in the NFL without being crippled?

You're posting some cute statistics but they are without context. Again, soccer is largely a non-contact sport. These guys are running free on the pitch with virtually no resistance. If you knew something about max speed and sprinting as well, then what was the wind factor? What if Mbappe had a strong wind at his back while running, that would be a huge factor. They literally void 100m dash times if the wind is too strong for records.

If you think long distance running and cardio = elite athletes then we can go look at weekend warrior middle aged men running triathlons as well. How much of that distance is covered with 100% intensity sprinting, because that's what the NFL is. Soccer players are walking or jogging around more than half the time.

p97032.png
He's far prettier.

Soccer is probably the hardest sport to make it to the top level in, simply due to the insane volume of competition to make it.

Conventional athleticism isn't as important as it is in the major US sports, it's about skill and stamina as well as explosiveness.

I'm glad you brought up table tennis because ping pong is exactly what I was going to use an example

Yes like I have agreed upon, Soccer/Futbol is the most popular sport in the world. It has the largest pool of "potential athletes". However we could go into why that doesn't necessarily mean everyone who likes or plays is part of the athlete pool. Here are the two points:

1. There are tons of poor people who like and play soccer. That's one of the main reasons why it's so popular, because it requires next to nothing to play. A ball. That's it really. But are there really tons of African and Asian soccer players funneled into the sport? I don't think so, despite the concerted effort to scout prospects by clubs. Sure there are some great players from Africa or whatever, but obviously not even close to the reflection of the amount playing in the continent.

2. My main point: Ping Pong.

If the most popular sport in the world was Ping Pong, or let's say Fortnite/Call of Duty/Halo, video games even to take it a step further. The most people in the world play that. So are they the best athletes? Obviously not.

Soccer's rule set isn't based on who the best athlete is. It's a skill sport. The limiting factor is dribbling the ball and being able to kick a ball accurately, to be simplistic here. If anything that limits taller athletes from being successful at ball handling or the term, and the nature of the game favors more "long distance runner" type builds than explosive powerful athletes. The sport isn't geared towards contact, strength is not a limiting factor and isn't that relevant. Height is not a limiting factor or that relevant. Weight is not a limiting factor or that relevant.

You don't need to be the fastest, jump the highest, be the strongest, be the most powerful, to be successful in the sport. Well you kind of have to be that to be the best in basketball or football, it's more or less a prerequisite to being elite.

Most African and Asian countries has soccer as its national sport, or as among the national sport. The worlds fastest athlete outside sprinting within Olympics, is a soccer player, i just highlighted the statistics. But the discussion in this forum is where the best athletes belong to? You are so certain that its within the different leagues and sports in America, and yet the fastest athlete is in soccer, with the endurance seems to be far higher up than what you see in NFL. NFL has more contact, less endurance, less speed as well, so whats your point? Its truly just different sports with different attributes required to make it in that sport. Like mentioned by serveral people, hard to compare, but you cant deny soccer as a real sport, it tops American sports in serveral categories. Now go get your meal kid :)

football players are faster and have much much more stamina than NFL players, it is just to compare both sports. Compare NFL to rugby, and even there, rugby players are better athletes.

lmao

the Euro bias is just fucking bonkers with you on this topic. It's banana land.

Rugby has better athletes than the NFL, yeah it's time to stop talking.

Most African and Asian countries has soccer as its national sport, or as among the national sport. The worlds fastest athlete outside sprinting within Olympics, is a soccer player, i just highlighted the statistics. But the discussion in this forum is where the best athletes belong to? You are so certain that its within the different leagues and sports in America, and yet the fastest athlete is in soccer, with the endurance seems to be far higher up than what you see in NFL. NFL has more contact, less endurance, less speed as well, so whats your point? Its truly just different sports with different attributes required to make it in that sport. Like mentioned by serveral people, hard to compare, but you cant deny soccer as a real sport, it tops American sports in serveral categories. Now go get your meal kid :)

How many asian players are in the EPL?

I don't give a shit if it's a national sport, my point is that there aren't many Chinese/Japanese/Korean/South Asian top tier soccer players in the clubs are there? They aren't exactly doing so hot in world cups and the olympics are they?

No they aren't. And your point is?

You don't know jack shit about the NBA/NFL, if you actually think some rando Asian soccer player who isn't even good enough to play for the shittiest fucking club in an English or Italian soccer league is better than LeBron James or Saquon Barkley athletically, then you're simply a retard.

I will enjoy my meal because I'm not a 138 pound twink who plays a non-contact sport.

lol women are even worse in football ... the best women team ninth world ( USA ) lose to 14 years old boys average team in australia
ha. I like you Monty. Agreed on point spoken

One guy is running in an open field with no resistance, the other guy is running with full pads + helmet on through other men and then having to look over his shoulder.

NFL players don't get to run free like a striker in soccer does. Maybe Mbappe is really fast, sure could be. I'd love to see the 40 yard dash time of Mbappe or Ronaldo or Messi or any good soccer strikers. At least we'd have a control there, but we don't have those numbers. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Total distance covered lmao? How is that even relevant. Cool. Let's see total impact numbers that don't exist either, how many soccer players would even last a single game in the NFL without being crippled?

You're posting some cute statistics but they are without context. Again, soccer is largely a non-contact sport. These guys are running free on the pitch with virtually no resistance. If you knew something about max speed and sprinting as well, then what was the wind factor? What if Mbappe had a strong wind at his back while running, that would be a huge factor. They literally void 100m dash times if the wind is too strong for records.

If you think long distance running and cardio = elite athletes then we can go look at weekend warrior middle aged men running triathlons as well. How much of that distance is covered with 100% intensity sprinting, because that's what the NFL is. Soccer players are walking or jogging around more than half the time.

It takes a lot of strenght to carry yourself as a 9-striker or a center back in soccer, obviously not the same emphasis as NFL, but thats just that attribute they focus on, while soccer has a focus on many other qualities, its a oddly thing to compare, but you can see a mixture of everything in soccer, just like NFL. NFL athletes gets a timeout very 20 seconds and are on vacation half a season. Their endurance is inferior to soccer players,
How many asian players are in the EPL?

I don't give a shit if it's a national sport, my point is that there aren't many Chinese/Japanese/Korean/South Asian top tier soccer players in the clubs are there? They aren't exactly doing so hot in world cups and the olympics are they?

No they aren't. And your point is?

You don't know jack shit about the NBA/NFL, if you actually think some rando Asian soccer player who isn't even good enough to play for the shittiest fucking club in an English or Italian soccer league is better than LeBron James or Saquon Barkley athletically, then you're simply a retard.

I will enjoy my meal because I'm not a 138 pound twink who plays a non-contact sport.

So your comparing the best NBA player to the worst soccer player? I dont quite get it. Like you mentioned earlier, while a lot of athletic attributes are required to make it to the TOP, you also need skills, perhaps the Asians lack both, their tactical skills are inferior to the Europeans, simply because they are behind in development and budgets compared to what we see in Europe. So academies in many countries in Asia are really really behind, it doesnt function the same way as in the USA. Basically we are comparing the whole world within 1 sport, to 1 or a few more countries to 1 sport. I passed my 138 pounds some time ago, and i do boxing, i prefer boxing over soccer. I sure as hell like NFL and NBA as well, i just dont blindly ignore or put down any of the sports, as i can reflect and put some understanding to the requirements of each sport.

Why isn't his picture in the OP since nobody would know who the fook he is

lmao

the Euro bias is just fucking bonkers with you on this topic. It's banana land.

Rugby has better athletes than the NFL, yeah it's time to stop talking.
well rugby players dont wear protection, and they fight for 80 minutes with 1 pause.

It is not an artificial sport created just to show adds of pizzas and burger to an average over weight/obese population.

I'm glad you brought up table tennis because ping pong is exactly what I was going to use an example

Yes like I have agreed upon, Soccer/Futbol is the most popular sport in the world. It has the largest pool of "potential athletes". However we could go into why that doesn't necessarily mean everyone who likes or plays is part of the athlete pool. Here are the two points:

1. There are tons of poor people who like and play soccer. That's one of the main reasons why it's so popular, because it requires next to nothing to play. A ball. That's it really. But are there really tons of African and Asian soccer players funneled into the sport? I don't think so, despite the concerted effort to scout prospects by clubs. Sure there are some great players from Africa or whatever, but obviously not even close to the reflection of the amount playing in the continent.

2. My main point: Ping Pong.

If the most popular sport in the world was Ping Pong, or let's say Fortnite/Call of Duty/Halo, video games even to take it a step further. The most people in the world play that. So are they the best athletes? Obviously not.

Soccer's rule set isn't based on who the best athlete is. It's a skill sport. The limiting factor is dribbling the ball and being able to kick a ball accurately, to be simplistic here. If anything that limits taller athletes from being successful at ball handling or the term, and the nature of the game favors more "long distance runner" type builds than explosive powerful athletes. The sport isn't geared towards contact, strength is not a limiting factor and isn't that relevant. Height is not a limiting factor or that relevant. Weight is not a limiting factor or that relevant.

You don't need to be the fastest, jump the highest, be the strongest, be the most powerful, to be successful in the sport. Well you kind of have to be that to be the best in basketball or football, it's more or less a prerequisite to being elite.
Hmm, I realky do not agree. The reason soccer is so popular is (besides that its cheap like basketball), is because it suits every type of athletic build. Virgil van Dijk is a 6.4 muscular defender that would without a doubt be able to make his money in the NFL. Lionell Messi is a very flegmatic, technical wizzard that is very unique and extremly skilled. You can (off course) debate wheter soccer is for the most athletic type of people. It depends on what u consider athletic. I a marathon runner athletic,or do you need to look like Usain Bolt? Imo, a person that excells in soccer is an athlete. And since soccer is the biggest sport in the world, its by defenition the most dificult sport to be the best in.

It takes a lot of strenght to carry yourself as a 9-striker or a center back in soccer, obviously not the same emphasis as NFL, but thats just that attribute they focus on, while soccer has a focus on many other qualities, its a oddly thing to compare, but you can see a mixture of everything in soccer, just like NFL. NFL athletes gets a timeout very 20 seconds and are on vacation half a season. Their endurance is inferior to soccer players,

So your comparing the best NBA player to the worst soccer player? I dont quite get it. Like you mentioned earlier, while a lot of athletic attributes are required to make it to the TOP, you also need skills, perhaps the Asians lack both, their tactical skills are inferior to the Europeans, simply because they are behind in development and budgets compared to what we see in Europe. So academies in many countries in Asia are really really behind, it doesnt function the same way as in the USA. Basically we are comparing the whole world within 1 sport, to 1 or a few more countries to 1 sport. I passed my 138 pounds some time ago, and i do boxing, i prefer boxing over soccer. I sure as hell like NFL and NBA as well, i just dont blindly ignore or put down any of the sports, as i can reflect and put some understanding to the requirements of each sport.

It's okay Wongzen, clearly there is no point in talking to you because we are not going to agree.

No, my point was tying into my first response where I said that there is a massive pool of soccer fans and players, but not all of that "big number" are going to compete in the sport or even have a chance to become top tier.

Asian countries, and the vast majority of African players...from you know Africa. That was my point. Then you said it was the national sport. Okay, well how many asian players are there in the EPL right now? Ever?

From what I could find there's like 5 notable players all of Korean and Japanese descent only. Maybe there's some more guys, but my point is it's not like out of the billions of people who mostly follow soccer as their primary sport in Asia and south Asia, tons are playing in the top clubs of the sport. Am I wrong? I'm not a huge fan of soccer but like I said I do follow it somewhat and used to follow it a lot more, whether you want to believe that or not.

That was my point. You rationalizing or even legitimately giving reasons as to why doesn't really matter, because it just supports my initial point.

Maybe you do like the NFL and NBA, but I doubt you understand the sports of the level of athleticism required then. Messi is one of the best soccer players in the world, he had to take growth hormone due to a disorder apparently to even reach 5'6. He's probably very fast and athletic compared to an average man, but compared to an NFL or NBA skill player? He's probably below average I'd easily bet. Combine that with size and strength - which are an important part of athleticism and then we see that the top soccer player in the world can be there despite not being even close to the best athlete.

That is my point. Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, surely you know them. Tom Brady is the best football player ever. Would I ever call him one of the best athletes in the sport in terms of pure athleticism? No fucking chance. He's a mediocre athlete by "sport" standards and an awful athlete by NFL/NBA standards. He simply plays a position that is about 75-99% skill based and requires arm talent. He's big and has big hands, that's part of it and counts, he's obviously a good athlete compared to normal people.

Soccer is a skill sport. I'm not saying everyone is a bum or a Tom Brady either, it has some legit stud athletes and speedsters, sure. But it's not a requirement. It is a requirement in the NBA or NFL, otherwise you're pretty much never making it. That is my entire point...and my final one because clearly no one is going to be convinced either way.

Last edited:
if they didnt dive like school girls i'd watch it for sure. the fact every soccer players dont care about it makes me disgusted with the whole thing. its like WWE

You have Brad Marchand on your team and you talk about diving ? <mma3>

football players are faster and have much much more stamina than NFL players, it is just to compare both sports. Compare NFL to rugby, and even there, rugby players are better athletes.

I mean this isn't true. Some of those NFL receivers aren't too far off Olympic standard sprinters.

ahhhh, a soccer player...

I don't like girl sport tbh.
Not really.
MMA is a great choice for a girl to pursue career-wise(on the strict condition that you'll be great at it). Look how famous Ronda and nunez and tate, and holme got...

As someone who grew up in a country where the main sport is soccer, and literally everyone of all ages play soccer, I cannot name any female soccer player, nor do I think any of them are famous or even that wealthy. nobody follows when's the female world cup either, shit I didn't even know there was one until recently lol. thus its a shit career choice for a girl.

Hmm, I realky do not agree. The reason soccer is so popular is (besides that its cheap like basketball), is because it suits every type of athletic build. Virgil van Dijk is a 6.4 muscular defender that would without a doubt be able to make his money in the NFL. Lionell Messi is a very flegmatic, technical wizzard that is very unique and extremly skilled. You can (off course) debate wheter soccer is for the most athletic type of people. It depends on what u consider athletic. I a marathon runner athletic,or do you need to look like Usain Bolt? Imo, a person that excells in soccer is an athlete. And since soccer is the biggest sport in the world, its by defenition the most dificult sport to be the best in.

Ok, my last post here on soccer.

What is athleticism?

Again, I think it's a combination of strength, power, speed, coordination. Running fast, jumping high, changing directions i.e. agility, acceleration. It can be trained but there are natural levels to this based on genetics.

Past that it's learning and applying skill, and intangible mental aspects (less athleticism. That would be the basis of a raw athlete to mold from clay.

So when you ask me the question of a Marathon runner or an Olympic sprinter, yes I would easily consider the latter to be more accurate of athleticism. Sure the previous thing at the top tiers requires someone who's genetically built for it and trains to excel. But it can be achieved by just about anyone. That is the issue. That makes it a skill or will based exercise.

Can you "will" your way to dunking a basketball? No matter how hard you train you might not be able to. Lionel Messi will never dunk a basketball for example. He's 5'6. Can you run a 4.4 - 40 yard dash? Some people will never be able to even with steroids and training. Can you have elite footwork and handspeed like a Floyd Mayweather (or a few levels down)? Some people will never be able to.

^ That is what I consider athleticism. Because if we categorize it as "oh William Englishman Soccer Player" traveled 10 km on the pitch mate, well that's something anyone can do. You can condition yourself enough to walk-jog-run-sprint that, pretty much everyone can do that. That doesn't not require special genetic-athletic talent. But doing what Ronaldo or the top tier speedy strikers do, obviously that does require some level of athleticism.

Back