Vinny tweets and I agree: Overeem and Werdum with a legit shot at beating Cain

cardio doesn't matter if the fight lasts a minute. Cain would have the advantage in the later rounds, but Overeem is the better striker and can't be bullied against the cage like JDS because he is really strong in the clinch and has devastating knees. he also has a good guillotine.

I think Cain would mess Werdum up. His boxing is stellar, and I don't think he would attempt to take it down. That's a bad idea. Cain also took Brock down without struggling too hard, and non

imo cain outstrikes werdum fairly easily, and werdum can not bring him to the ground.

overeem is the more dangerous matchup, but cain still wins the same way he beat JDS. relentless pace.

Or he gets knocked out like he did in JDS 1 or almost did in Kongo and JDS 3.

I think we are all a year+
late to this thread

Exactly. I'm not sure why Sherdog seems to think that Overeem is unbeatable. He has always had good striking but his cardio has never been that great. If Cain pushes the pace on the Reem like he did to Dos Santos last night, he would have a similar result.

The only difference is that Reem's sub defense isn't as good as JDS's.

I agree.......and IMHO Reem's chin is very suspect.....and with Cain's power......Reem will sleep!!

Reem can't keep up with Cain's pace. Reem spends the first two rounds on his back. And then gets TKO'd in the third. Sorry Reem fans - but your boy can't beat Browne or even Silva (yes, he was winning that fight, right up until he got KTFO). He isn't beating Cain.

Werdum? He has a chance off his back. Not a great chance though.

cain just uses his pillow fists against the cage and does what he did to jds, boring fight.

I agree.......and IMHO Reem's chin is very suspect.....and with Cain's power......Reem will sleep!!

You could make the exact same argument the other way. Cain gets dropped easy, and Overeem has more power than Cain.

In all likelihood though, Cain would take him down and pound him into the mat.

cardio doesn't matter if the fight lasts a minute. Cain would have the advantage in the later rounds, but Overeem is the better striker and can't be bullied against the cage like JDS because he is really strong in the clinch and has devastating knees. he also has a good guillotine.

What about Overeems glass jaw. hes been knocked the hell out in his last two fights. Its pointless even entertaining a title fight with Overeem against anyone. Shit i dont even know if he can beat mir. lol

What about Overeems glass jaw. hes been knocked the hell out in his last two fights. Its pointless even entertaining a title fight with Overeem against anyone. Shit i dont even know if he can beat mir. lol

Glass jaw? Bigfoot Silva is a beast and hit overeem with several flush shots. Browne caught overeem with a flush front kick.

Reem has been knocked out 7 or 8 times in his carrer

Yea, by the hardest hitters the sports ever seen. Sergei, chuck, shogun, etc. And that's only after gassing horribly. I don't think overeems chin is bad, only his cardio. He ever gets his cardio up he'll be a damn monster.

Yea, by the hardest hitters the sports ever seen. Sergei, chuck, shogun, etc. And that's only after gassing horribly. I don't think overeems chin is bad, only his cardio. He ever gets his cardio up he'll be a damn monster.

So why does Rashad get called for glass chin by getting rocked by Rampage, Machida, Hendo, and Thiago?

Wut?

Cain gassed pretty damn hard. So much for limitless cardio

yup
he was tired as hell and he fought a dead man jds
someone with more durability would finish cain in the later rounds imo

Overeem was very tired after his fight with Werdum in Strikeforce because he had to defend the takedowns of Werdum. I like Overeem, but I think that Velasquez is a bad match up for him. Velasquez will pressure him and go for takedown after takedown. If he doesn't get him down, he will tire him out so much that he can beat him up standing as wel.

The only change Overeem has is to land a powerfull punch or knee early and rock him, like JDS did in their first fight.

That first minute against Overeem is tough for anybody.

I saw both Reem and WERDUM gassed before, this is a no no if they are to fight with Cain pace. Reem would own in the clinch and standup but I'm optimistic if he can fend a Cain TD. Werdum got solid BJJ but I doubt he can submit Cain

Did you just call Verdoom's BJJ.... solid???

Yup. People, especially those who don't train, don't realize just how much cardio plays a factor in many TKOs.

It's hard to recover from getting rocked if you have no energy to recover with.

Yup. People, especially those who don't train, don't realize just how much cardio plays a factor in many TKOs.

It's hard to recover from getting rocked if you have no energy to recover with.

I don't really think it's all cardio either, Reem bros are just both frontrunners, always had been.

Alistair less so, since he's the one that took this whole martial arts way more seriously in general, but still.

I don't think he's going to drastically change his mindset after all those years.

Back