Vinny tweets and I agree: Overeem and Werdum with a legit shot at beating Cain

MMABr

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I just saw Vinny answered a twitter question regarding Cain's next opponent:

'Vinny Magalhaes ‏@VinnyMMA

@BigMarley3 likely not overeem. I think Overeem would clean the floor with him. And I'd risk saying that Werdum would likely beat him too. '

I think Cain is a beast and actually predicted him to win the rematch if he survived the first round but, IMO, both Overeem and specially Werdum match up quite well with him.

- Overeem seems to have solid TDD and would be the stronger man in the clinch. Better, more technical and also more powerful striker (just overall a way better kickboxer than Cain) and, to add, great ground game if he eventually finds himself on his back at some point in the fight. While Cain's cardio and pace would be tough to deal with, Overeem has enough tools to finish it within at least the first 2 rounds IMO.

- Werdum's standup is still underrated and overlooked by many people. His muay thai is legit and I don't really think, at all, Cain would have a big advantage in that area (maybe just a slight one). Another characteristic of him that is sometimes overlooked is his strength. Even if Werdum isn't known for outmuscling fighters, he is a very big, strong HW that does a lot of damage in clinch exchanges and knows perfectly how to take advantage of those situations to work specially his knee strikes. Cain's main strength is still his wrestling, accompanied by his fast pace and aggressive style, but if the fight hits the ground he would, again, be in a lot of trouble. Werdum has one of the best guards in MMA, his BJJ is by far the best in the division, and a submission win would be VERY likely. Fabricio just needs a couple of seconds to take hold of his neck, arm or legs. Cain would be in constant danger being in his preferred position, that also has an important mental effect.

Thoughts? I just hope we get to see one of these fights before the JDS rematch. Cigano should fight somebody else before getting another shot considering the beatdown.

imo cain outstrikes werdum fairly easily, and werdum can not bring him to the ground.

overeem is the more dangerous matchup, but cain still wins the same way he beat JDS. relentless pace.

I saw both Reem and WERDUM gassed before, this is a no no if they are to fight with Cain pace. Reem would own in the clinch and standup but I'm optimistic if he can fend a Cain TD. Werdum got solid BJJ but I doubt he can submit Cain

Werdums striking is better than people give him credit for and he doesn't have to worry about the takedown.
I think he'd be one of cains harder match ups

If Cain brought JDS down, I'm fairly sure he can get Overeem down. Not saying it would be easy, but I still believe JDS has some of the best TDD in the division, if not the best.

If Cain brought JDS down, I'm fairly sure he can get Overeem down. Not saying it would be easy, but I still believe JDS has some of the best TDD in the division, if not the best.

He was out on his feet the entire fight pretty much. In the beginning, before that right hand, Cain couldn't even get close. He was running and falling over almost.

i think a werdum match would look like cain vs nog

overeem however is appealing

Exactly. I'm not sure why Sherdog seems to think that Overeem is unbeatable. He has always had good striking but his cardio has never been that great. If Cain pushes the pace on the Reem like he did to Dos Santos last night, he would have a similar result.

The only difference is that Reem's sub defense isn't as good as JDS's.

Cain gassed a helluva lot last night as well. Overeem would try and do what Cain did last night, bull rush and try for a quick finish - if he hit him he'd win, but if not he'd definitely gas out epically and probably get finished in the second or third at the latest.

Werdum is probably the bigger threat because you don't want to go to the ground with him so it will be a stand-up fight and Werdum will be bigger with more weapons standing.

I saw both Reem and WERDUM gassed before, this is a no no if they are to fight with Cain pace. Reem would own in the clinch and standup but I'm optimistic if he can fend a Cain TD. Werdum got solid BJJ but I doubt he can submit Cain

Cain's cardio is probably the best among the heavyweights but don't tell me he didn't look gassed or at least considerably tired after the first two rounds. And, no, Werdum can submit ANYONE in the roster! We are not talking about a guy with a 'solid BJJ', he's one of the best in the world, two time gold medalist in ADCC in case you didn't know.

Go away Vinny. This guy is quoted more than anyone else. Worry about bringing yourself into relevance.

imo cain outstrikes werdum fairly easily, and werdum can not bring him to the ground.

overeem is the more dangerous matchup, but cain still wins the same way he beat JDS. relentless pace.

Thanks van.

I'm not gonna bother watching the fights now that I know the outcome.

I really expect Overeem to out muscle Cain and pulverize him.

Even when Junior was beyond zombie and near death, he was able to muscle Cain away and run away from his TD's.

I dont think Werdum beats Cain. Werdum cant get it to the floor IMO and wont submit him. Cain turns his head into a speedball en route to a dominating decision or late stoppage imo.

Go away Vinny. This guy is quoted more than anyone else. Worry about bringing yourself into relevance.

Wow, he only answered a fan's question and gave his opinion. I quoted him because I do agree both matchups against Cain would be very intriguing and thought it was interesting.

as of right now im assuming cain beats every fighter out there.

The could beat him but I doubt they would. Cain just has too goodof cardio and too well rounded to be the underdog to either.

i personally think werdum has a great chance - he fights smart and has a very well rounded skill set - and i think he has a pretty damn good chin too - overeem, im not sure if his cardio acn hold up with cain - if it can, then he has a chance - i doubt he'll clean ko cain esp the way cain used good head movement and pressed forward last night - wouldnt surprise me if overeem got ko'd if cain mixes it up well like last night

Back