Video Games Are Getting Expensive

It all started with expansion, then comes dlc, and then micro transaction. Chopping up content into smaller and smaller bits and nickle and dime players. And now with live service bs.

It got so bad that when AAA game publisher does not have predatory pricing for their game its actually brag worthy for them.

The only game I am willing to spend that much for and more would be Half-Life 3 if that ever gets made which at this point I doubt it ever will

Lol wtf, video games are cheap as hell considering what you're getting.

100 hours for 60 dollars vs 10-15 dollars for a 2 hour movie.

Games have barely gone up in price since I started gaming in the early 90's. If anything video games are not expensive enough which is why we see a ton of micro transactions and DLC. Production costs have gone way up but the cost has only increased 10-20 dollars in the last couple decades.

There are scant few games that offer 100 hours of content.

The only time I pre-ordered was to get a free older game unavailable any other way. Actually I may have done that twice.

Was checking out some new games.

Since when have new releases been $79?

80 bucks for a game?

giphy.gif

And that's not all. A lot of them try to rob you with micro-transactions.

So you pay $80 bucks for a new game, and you can't even access all the content without needing to shed even more money from your wallet.
Couple that with the fact that they don't even finish games any longer. they give you an unfinished game and then they fix it later.

And they send out an email or tweet apologizing about it, rinse and repeat.

And since no one it's going to stop buying video games, it will continue to happen and get worse. I'm personally angry at anyone that went to the store and bought Fallout 76. I knew that was going to be a steaming pile of shit the moment it was introduced and yet idiots bail Bethesda out by purchasing it in droves.

I'm only moderately satisfied to know that they all got burned and made to look stupid.

i bought a cib nes game off ebay some years ago and it had the original receipt in it. it was from San Jose and was either $59 or $69 and it was vagas dream if i remember correctly... kinda trash, very common game from mid/late 80's... factor in inflation and thats like $125 or more...

I think I paid like 50$ for the Simpsons on NES 25 years ago. Adjusted for in flation they're not that bad
And that game sucked balls. If anything, they can't suck that bad any longer and you get more bang for your buck.

Some games were 50-60 dollars, 20+ years ago. I remember as a kid, I went to Toys R Us with my pop’s and he bought me Final Fantasy XII for around that much.

Game was pretty awesome for its time.

Paid 100$ for Megaman Soccer on snes few months ago...

And that game is pretty bad.
Lol I used to have that game in the 90s. I think I traded it to my buddy for his pokemon yellow gameboy game

How can someone be so ignorant? Games in the 90's were 50 fucking dollars, N64 had plenty of games go for 70. The average PS4/XB1/Switch game costs 60 dollars

Games in the 90s on average took a few million dollars to produce, we are talking like 1-8 million dollars. Now we have games coming out annually that cost 50+ million plus some even hitting 200+ million dollars. And people like you bitch when we are paying a measly 10 bucks more? Like seriously how entitled are you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

Notice the dates? Final Fantasy VII is the only game from the 90s that even makes the list. Most are 2010 and beyond
how the f did MW2 have a 200 mil marketing cost? That's more than the total cost of most of the games on this list.

Killer Instinct on the SNES cost me $70... Not counting sub fees, expansions, or special circumstances (Rock Band) I've never paid that much for a game since the mid 90's.

Even AAA titles can be found at a slightly discounted rate if you're not impatient.

I'm constantly disappointed by video games this gen or maybe I'm just getting old.

Games come out at such a high rate that you can literally be 3 yrs behind and buy all your games for 20 bucks used and self sustain.

For 80 bucks, it's probably the deluxe edition.

I didn't have a console for ten years and only bought an Xbox One S a month ago.

Forza Horizon 4 came with it and I bought Monster Hunter: World for £24.99, GTAV for £14.99 and the Borderlands: Handsome Collection for £10.99.

That is hundreds of hours worth of content right there.

Base games have gone up by £5, but the deluxe editions are really where you will find the price hike. Games have gone a long way from just plopping a disk, cartridge or cassette in.

Game Pass seems to be well worth it at £7.99 a month, depending on how many hours you like to put into games.

what i really hate is when they lock content on the disc and you pay more to unlock it, thats dishonest in my book.

Tbh proportionally price did'nt risen much in decades

When i was kid in the early 90s Genesis/Super Nintendo games used to cost in italian "lire" around 50-60 euro

Btw vg became low expensive to me, the lack of good jap games lowered a lot my year buys

Back