Video Games Are Getting Expensive

Actually, you're right. Just researched it. I didn't realize that games in 1990 cost $50 on average.

Mortal Kombat 11. I was reading reviews and a bunch of people were complaining about micro-transactions.

I'm sure there are plenty others. Micro-transactions seem to be the thing these days. That and the always online model are ruining videogames.
You can get MK11 for 60 unless you aren't in the US. I bought it on the PSN store, although it did default to the Deluxe Edition page.

Isn't that just Canadian prices, with American prices being about $10 cheaper?

But yeah, I agree. I haven't bought a brand new game in the longest time. I just wait for sales. With digital, there's really no point to go all in on Day 1. Wait a few months, and you'll get whatever you want for a song. Likely with all the DLC as well. You're almost punished for being an early adopter these days. It's just not worth it, and the only thing driving people is impulse. Just wait it out. It's worth it.
That's what I usually do.

I have just purchased a handful of games that I paid full price. They are games I was anticipating and that were worth it.

Although for online based games, waiting a year could mean not as many players online and having a hard time finding people to play.

I would never pay full price for a game that relies on online play. It needs to have a solid single player mode.

You can get MK11 for 60 unless you aren't in the US. I bought it on the PSN store, although it did default to the Deluxe Edition page.
Here in Canada they are $80. They used to be $60 for a long time. But I guess the prices increased because of our dollar value.

You could literally buy some of the best games ever made for super cheap. Buying new games, unless youve been really anticipating/interested in them, its just best to play other games till they get cheaper.

Some of them even come free with PS plus etc.

Just cut back on the number of PPVs you're buying. ;)

Although for online based games, waiting a year could mean not as many players online and having a hard time finding people to play.

The way I look at that is, if it's truly a good game, there will be a community whenever you pick it up. If not, it sucked. I picked up "Borderlands 2" for the PS3 a year or so ago. There were still players, and I could find a party with no problem. If a game can't even sustain six months or a year of activity, it likely sucked balls.

A new game is typically $60. That's not bad at all in 2019 considering inflation.

Actually, you're right. Just researched it. I didn't realize that games in 1990 cost $50 on average.

Mortal Kombat 11. I was reading reviews and a bunch of people were complaining about micro-transactions.

I'm sure there are plenty others. Micro-transactions seem to be the thing these days. That and the always online model are ruining videogames.

I mean, the micro-transactions are really unimportant for MK. It's like if you want to unlock stuff for singleplayer or cosmetics and don't want to actually play the game to earn what unlocks it.

It's a fighting game - they're not selling something that gives you an advantage over your opponent (that would be asinine), so I really don't see what the uproar is about - it seems like people just want to flail at any form of microtransaction.

N64 games were at least $70 for awhile. NES games were between $50 and $60 in the early 90s.

If you're paying $60+ for a new game, you're an impatient idiot.

Game prices drop very quickly. The remake of Doom from 2016 was $60 when released in Spring, and $20 by Christmas of that year. Last year's Tomb Raider was $30 within two months.

And if you're waiting around for a new game to release all the DLC to make all the dough you spent on the season pass worth it, it'll be a fraction of the price you bought it when it was new.

For those who spend $60+ for the new Mortal Kombat game, you could have just bought the previous game, with ALL of the DLC characters included, for a third of the price you spent on the new MK, which DLC characters are months away from being released. Good luck with MK11 having a sweet lineup comparable to this crew.

MKxl.jpg

Oh, and forgot to mention - if you buy microtransactions or lootboxes, you're a fool with your money.

Paid 100$ for Megaman Soccer on snes few months ago...

And that game is pretty bad.

Lol wtf, video games are cheap as hell considering what you're getting.

100 hours for 60 dollars vs 10-15 dollars for a 2 hour movie.

Games have barely gone up in price since I started gaming in the early 90's. If anything video games are not expensive enough which is why we see a ton of micro transactions and DLC. Production costs have gone way up but the cost has only increased 10-20 dollars in the last couple decades.

That's bullshit. These games are all made using middleware. Unreal Engine, etc. It's easier than ever to make AAA video games.

That's bullshit. These games are all made using middleware. Unreal Engine, etc. It's easier than ever to make AAA video games.

How can someone be so ignorant? Games in the 90's were 50 fucking dollars, N64 had plenty of games go for 70. The average PS4/XB1/Switch game costs 60 dollars

Games in the 90s on average took a few million dollars to produce, we are talking like 1-8 million dollars. Now we have games coming out annually that cost 50+ million plus some even hitting 200+ million dollars. And people like you bitch when we are paying a measly 10 bucks more? Like seriously how entitled are you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

Notice the dates? Final Fantasy VII is the only game from the 90s that even makes the list. Most are 2010 and beyond

Lol wtf, video games are cheap as hell considering what you're getting.

100 hours for 60 dollars vs 10-15 dollars for a 2 hour movie.

Games have barely gone up in price since I started gaming in the early 90's. If anything video games are not expensive enough which is why we see a ton of micro transactions and DLC. Production costs have gone way up but the cost has only increased 10-20 dollars in the last couple decades.

Pretty much this. Game content is better than ever before by a wide margin but game prices probably haven't even kept up with inflation.

A lot of publishers are dickheads with DLC though. Day 1 DLC packs are pure bullshit.

How can someone be so ignorant? Games in the 90's were 50 fucking dollars, N64 had plenty of games go for 70. The average PS4/XB1/Switch game costs 60 dollars

Games in the 90s on average took a few million dollars to produce, we are talking like 1-8 million dollars. Now we have games coming out annually that cost 50+ million plus some even hitting 200+ million dollars. And people like you bitch when we are paying a measly 10 bucks more? Like seriously how entitled are you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

Notice the dates?

Where am I complaining about pricing?

It doesn't help your argument to make things up.

I said it's easier than ever to make AAA games and it is. The engines are already made.

There were no engines in the 90's things had to be hand coded. And there was no patching games after the fact, they had to get the bugs ironed out before they were released. Nowadays they ship half broken games that they (sometimes) fix with patches.

Back