Video Games Are Getting Expensive

I never seen a $80 game, unless you are talking about a collectors/limited edition.

All new games, standard games(no collectors), are worth $60 new...all of em, except the indie games, sometimes they cost $40 or less.

But I agree overall they cost more when u factor in DLC bullshit.

I dont really play games and have a few bought on steam but i know there are thousands of games on torrent sites where you can download the game with full dlcs etc for free.

Cartridge-based video games, 16-bit era, were selling for £40 back in the early 90s. That's around the $65-70 USD mark, 30 years ago. Going by inflation alone, that would correspond to more like $170 in 2019.

LOL @ the winners in here factoring in duration of enjoyment derived as if lifespan is an infinite.

"You should pay more because you're wasting more of the time you're going to be alive."

{<jordan}

Every game has different value. For instance GTA5 imo was well worth $80 at launch since you'll get hundreds of hours out of it between SP/MP. I tend to buy very few games at launch except Rockstar games, Madden, and a few others.

If you're patient and can wait a few years, at least on PC you can get killer deals. I just picked up The Witcher 3 since I wasn't sure if I would like it as the control in TW2 was frustrating. Paid $20 for the GOTY edition and 60 hours in I genuinely feel like I owe CD Projekt Red some money.

Last edited:
I didn't have a console for ten years and only bought an Xbox One S a month ago.

Forza Horizon 4 came with it and I bought Monster Hunter: World for £24.99, GTAV for £14.99 and the Borderlands: Handsome Collection for £10.99.

That is hundreds of hours worth of content right there.

Base games have gone up by £5, but the deluxe editions are really where you will find the price hike. Games have gone a long way from just plopping a disk, cartridge or cassette in.

Game Pass seems to be well worth it at £7.99 a month, depending on how many hours you like to put into games.
Right now is literally the hest time in gaming history, and it's not really debatable. Anyone that says otherwise has nostalgia goggles on. A thriving, ultra competitive console market. Almost unlimited options for very little money on pc. Game prices haven't really gone up in 30 years. A surging indie/retro market for old school fans.

Cartridge-based video games, 16-bit era, were selling for £40 back in the early 90s. That's around the $65-70 USD mark, 30 years ago. Going by inflation alone, that would correspond to more like $170 in 2019.
In fact SNES games in the early 90s were 69.99. A lot of people seem to forget that. Gaming in the 80s and 90s was really fucking expensive. The SNES was 200 bucks in 1990. I bought a ps4 for 200 bucks WITH a triple a game last year.

The industry is basically immune to inflation and still people complain.

In fact SNES games in the early 90s were 69.99. A lot of people seem to forget that. Gaming in thw 80s and 90s was really fucking expensive. The SNES was 200 bucks in 1990. I bought a ps4 for 200 bucks WITH a triple a game last year.

I was going to mention that, the cost of memory ment that carts were always quite expensive and it was only in the mid/late 90's that moving to CD's dropped costs. Part of the reason the PSX did so well vs say the N64 dispite being inferior tech.

I remember lusting after a Neo geo system were carts would be $200-300 each although in retrospect it would actually have been a decent investment as they've gone up even more on the collectors market.

I was going to mention that, the cost of memory ment that carts were always quite expensive and it was only in the mid/late 90's that moving to CD's dropped costs. Part of the reason the PSX did so well vs say the N64 dispite being inferior tech.

I remember lusting after a Neo geo system were carts would be $200-300 each although in retrospect it would actually have been a decent investment as they've gone up even more on the collectors market.
Yeah younger gamers don't remember, but gaming was a goddamn expensive hobby through the 80s and 90s. As a poor kid, getting a brand new game was a super special occasion. Now I sometimes buy 10 games at once on steam, for less than 70 bucks. If you had told little kid me that I would be buying games with HUNDREDS of hours of gameplay for like 5 bucks, I would have thought damn the future is gonna be fucking sweet!

And I'm an old school gamer, and even I have tons of rpgs and turn based strategy games to play. Pixel art shooters, rogue likes etc. No matter what genre you like, there literally isn't enough time to play all the great games coming out.

It's pretty sweet imo.

Video games are actually a very cheap source of entertainment if you aren't stupid about it.

A console will set you back $300 or so, but the games themselves aren't much if you don't buy them at release or mess around with microtransactions. A typical AAA game that is maybe a year old can be bought for like $30 and if you really like it you'd be dumping in countless hours into the game. The occasional guilt purchase of a new title for $60 or so would be a bit pricier, but gaming doesn't need to be an expensive hobby at all.
But xbox and Sony require mostly subscriptions just to be able to use their consoles. That over a hundred bucks a year. Just to be able to save your game

But xbox and Sony require mostly subscriptions just to be able to use their consoles. That over a hundred bucks a year. Just to be able to save your game
Only if you play online.

For most games, playing online is a choice, not a requirement.

Only if you play online.

For most games, playing online is a choice, not a requirement.
No, for xbox , if you want to save your game at all, you need to be subscribed to xbox live.

No, for xbox , if you want to save your game at all, you need to be subscribed to xbox live.
What game are you talking about?

I've never had that issue ever on the 360 or XBone

I usually buy games at release.. they set me back $50-60 or so, it usually isn't that much to me. My job has pretty good pay as well as getting a scholarship from my uni and my parents' support. So, I have it easy right now, lol.

But, I am not looking forward to see how much the PS5 games will be.

What game are you talking about?

I've never had that issue ever on the 360 or XBone
I've tried several, border lands, jade empire , KOTOR, everything is saved on xbox live it seems for me. So I basically don't play console games at all anymore

I often wonder what alien pod people came down and replaced the human youth that all of a sudden everyone became anti-piracy.

Like "What?! I can play almost any game I want to play at absolutely no cost AND it probably works better than if I had bought a legit copy?? Well this is clearly a bad thing that is just AWFUL!!"

Fuckin' clown world we live in now.

In fact SNES games in the early 90s were 69.99. A lot of people seem to forget that. Gaming in the 80s and 90s was really fucking expensive. The SNES was 200 bucks in 1990. I bought a ps4 for 200 bucks WITH a triple a game last year.

And TV’s.... just bought a 70” flat screen for $750... lol

Crazy.... bought a 42” DLP in 2002 for $1,500 and I thought I got a great deal on it then. It weighed a fucking ton and had a separate base.

When I was a kid and I wanted it all right away I ponied up the full price of games. These days? I put them on my wishlist and wait until they go on a significant sale. I have at least a half dozen games backlogged that I bought at 1/3 price or some such so I'm hardly in a rush for each individual game.

It's a good way to do it. I'd recommend a little bit of patience for all of you out there. With the way gaming market is these days you only get the real finished product a few months after release anyway.

<Huh2>

I think your PC gamer friends have been telling you some scary fiction about the evil console monsters.

Back