Usman fighting for money and not legacy

I have rated Usman for a while, he worked and fought hard to get to where he is. But it seems with the news coming in that Ali and him are possibly looking at Diaz over Colby is an absolute joke. Clearly he trying to make as much money as he can, and avoid any tough competition.
Leon who is in line for the title fight, just beat the man they want to fight. Clearly they are ducking Leon, ducking Dolby, and hoping Burns deals with WB, and they get a big pay day fighting Nate.

Great legacy Usman is building..
If he wanted to build a legacy and be remembered as a great WW champ, he would sign to fight Colby in the coming months, then if WB beats Burns he can fight WB or Leon in any order.
Luque and Chiesa are fighting soon as well, so he could even fight them if he beats the above 3.

I started to get annoyed with him, when he gave Masvidal an unnecessary title shot. Either Masvidal is on some Conor level where he can demand an instant rematch (which we know he is not) or Usman is looking to pad his title defences and avoid tough competetion. Usman fought Burns in between so its technically not an instant rematch for Usman, but what did Masvidal do? It was an instant rematch for him.

Colby Covington
I know Colby gets a lot of hate, and I can understand why. When he did the whole Trump shtick, and going into the Usman fight, he was annoying and everyone wanted to see Usman shut him up.
But the fight was very close and Colby was even up, and the stoppage was not great, lets face it.
Now Colby has dropped a lot of his Trump talk, and now just name calling everyone and exposing them, I am finding him more entertaining, regardless, people say he doesn't deserve a rematch after beating T Wood? But he deserves it more than Masvidal who did nothing.

I think the Colby fight made Usman realise he can be beaten, and with Burns rocking him early, he knows fighting either Leon, CC 2 or WB, one will likely end in an upset for Usman. Hence why he fought Masvidal twice and is now looking at Nate

Leon Edwards
Poor Leon, boring as hell for a lot of us, but you have to respect his way of winning fights. Since loosing to Usman he has gone undefeated in 9 fights, 10 if you include the no contest.
He has not fought the greatest of fighters, but neither has anyone in the top 5 really as they are all ducking each other in the hope of a title shot. He is also not the most exciting of fighter both in and outside the cage.
Regardless, he has done enough in the WW division to fight Usman over Masvidal's rematch, some may argue not ahead of WB or CC, but he is still due a title shot.

Usman has 3 current top fighters ready to challenge him, and a 4th if you include Luque and Chiesa, you also have Chimaev who maybe a hype job or a real threat, and in the time of the above fights, we will see if Chimaev is worthy.
He can build a great legacy if he beats them all, like Izzy has done cleaning out the MW division. But for some reason Usman seems to not want to face them, and clean out the WW division.

Khabib Nurmagomedov
Khabib is a great example of a fighter who chose legacy over money, he had Conor desperate for the rematch. He had a red panty night begging him, any other fighter would have jumped at it, Khabib told him to go and win some fights then lets see. Say all you want about Khabib, but that shows you what legacy is. Idiots will say he was ducking, but no one would duck a red panty night unless you cared nothing about money and only about legacy and refused to fight someone straight after you beat them.

TLDR

Usman has become a joke and possibly wants to fight Diaz now
He is clearly ducking Colby, Leon and hoping Burns takes WB's head off so he can avoid WB too
He just wants easy money fights that pad his title defences
He has no honour
He does not care about legacy and beating the top WW fighters and cleaning out the division like Izzy in MW
He does not want to face anyone and everyone, as past great legacy fighters like GSP, SIlva, Jones etc have.
Legacy and honor is great if you already have money, but if you are a prize fighter like most are, then you are fighting for that bag.
Last I checked you can't pay your mortgage or put your kids through school with honor and a cool legacy.

No but I am sure he makes more than enough to feed her, without the need to duck top contenders that would still earn him more than enough money.

You don't know his financial obligations, so saying he'll earn "more than enough money" is ignorant.

Usman's and Khabib's situations are different. Khabib made enough money and has a gazillion followers, will keep earning. Usman hasn't made that kind of money/status yet, so he has to campaign for it. Same with Poirier and Conor.

But I believe the money comes with merit. Usman will get paid more if he beats top contenders, and that way gets the legacy as well, if that's important to him. Nate Diaz counts as much of a title defense as Ngannou going back in time and winning the Super Hulk. And I liked that tourney.
Yeah I can see why, but as you and I said, he could possibly make as much beating top contenders. If he fights Nate then we ight as well just say Nate beat Leon by wobbling him and Usman beating him wont count as a title defence.

It makes you wonder, did they plan for Nate and Leon in the hope Nate would beat Leon then fight Usman? It failed but they are still trying to go through with it?

Reactions: MCS
Well I guess he knows he will never be on GSP's level, so might as well just sell out and take easy fights and be remembered as the guy who retired and never fought Leon, WB and other top contenders who deserved it.
Even assuming that everything you say here is true and not massively speculative, I'm curious what would make you think that he gives a shit about any of this

why did he took the Burns if he fights for money and almost get knocked out?

Agree, watch the GSP haters hype up Usman as already the WW Goat and conviniently ignore Usman's glaringly obvious attempts to cherry pick easy title defenses though
Usman will never be on any level near GSP, ever, even if he were to beat all the names mentioned here already. I think he knows that, so rather than do the best he can and at least try, A la Izzy/Silva, he would rather take mook fights.

People always encourage and don’t mind fighters going for money fights until it’s a fighter they don’t like than they hold it against them

Okay lets get one thing clear: this is a business, not a sport. "Legacy" means what exactly? something impressive to you as a FAN? What does legacy really mean to the fighters: earning money to provide for their family, their kids, eventually their grandkids and so on. THAT is legacy, earning money IS legacy for the fighters, why would he fight guys like Leon Scott instead of Nate when one fight stands to earn him millions more? Sorry to burst the bubble but that's the facts, this is a business, not a sport.

Agreed and well put, and do you think those 1.3M PPV buys were becuase it was Usman fighting? Or because it was Jorge?

And you just brought up another valid point, lets be real, I am sure he wants to fight Diaz cause Diaz will move the needle for him, giving him more than 1.3M PPV buys.
What happens if he fights boring Leon, WB or Colby? Will he still do 1.3M? Or is he afraid to show he is not the real needle mover?

I was a big fan of Usman, and this nonsense with Diaz is too much, Masvidal 2 didn't really bother me so much at the time, but now its becoming clear what he is doing.
If he fights Colby, Leon and WB, and the others that follow I will still rate him, but if he is gonna fight a guy who just got beat by a ranked number WW then I wont be supporting. Not that my support has an affect on his success, but its sad to see a potential GOAT get near to GSP's domination a defences of the WW division.
I think the numbers were because it was a loaded card, covid stopping all sports and it was a nice 'beef' they could sell. The second one didn't do as good despite loading up the card again.

Usman has gone full diva. Just look at the way he carries himself now. He's p4p male fighter only by default. Khabib's not here, Jones hasn't fought and Izzy lost. I still felt Izzy fought better guys than him and is the better overall fighter but I understand why he lost his ranking.

I also think with khabib gone, he's trying to move into slot#2 behind Conor or something. It's not going to happen.

I'm not mad at him getting his money. His fight career has an expiration date but him trying to portray himself one way then openly prostitutes himself for money fights when he's the champion and not the Challenger makes me a little sick

Depends on how you want to be seen in the future, a duck or a great. The likes of Tyson, GSP, Silva, Jones never shied away from a challenge

From what I've seen on this site it wont matter. GSP gets accused of ducking all the time. Leaving right after USADA was implemented. I've seen Tyson called a rapist on national TV. Jones gets called so much shit it's weird that you even brought him up. He's hated. Silva also called a cheat.

Like I said you can't win with people online. It's best to focus on yourself and family because those are the people who really matter.

From what I've seen on this site it wont matter. GSP gets accused of ducking all the time. Leaving right after USADA was implemented. I've seen Tyson called a rapist on national TV. Jones gets called so much shit it's weird that you even brought him up. He's hated. Silva also called a cheat.

Like I said you can't win with people online. It's best to focus on yourself and family because those are the people who really matter.
True, and I even say GSP ducked out on Bigg Rigg and USADA, but he still did everything else before that. When you compare to Usman, GSP you cannot, as its currently not even comparable, unless Usman starts to do what needs to be done to reach that level or near. Maybe he just doest care.

Even assuming that everything you say here is true and not massively speculative, I'm curious what would make you think that he gives a shit about any of this
Well that the thing, I really think he doesn't. If he did care, he wouldn't even entertain fighting Masvidal again, regardless of Dana wanting it or not. Dana wanted Khabib and Conor to rematch, and said it would be the biggest PPV they ever had, but Khabib didnt want it, and it never happened. Usman could have done the same, if he cared and wanted to challenge a better opponent, as opposed to getting an easy padded win for his defence number. And Nate, if he is really entertaining that idea then its obvious he gives zeros fucks.

True, and I even say GSP ducked out on Bigg Rigg and USADA, but he still did everything else before that. When you compare to Usman, GSP you cannot, as its currently not even comparable, unless Usman starts to do what needs to be done to reach that level or near. Maybe he just doest care.

He probably doesn't care. He has kids and is a father. Legacy is great but it doesn't mean anything when you can't provide the sort of things your family wants\needs in life. On top of the fact that we don't even know what's going on with him personally. He's an older guy and he might not have much time left. All the other guys you mentioned started much earlier in life and had more time to build up their fortune.

why did he took the Burns if he fights for money and almost get knocked out?
Fair point, so he should have no issue taking the WB, Leon and CC 2 fights then. And we can forget about all this, and him entertaining the idea of fighting Nate Diaz.
Just remember they were training partners, I am not syaing this is the case, but if Usman was always the better man in training, then its a done deal really isn't it.
Maybe having a tough fight with Colby and almost getting KO'd by burns was enough for him to realise Leon, CC 2 or WB could end it, so better to take the money before I cannot.
This is just assumptions by the way, but could easily be true

Fair point, so he should have no issue taking the WB, Leon and CC 2 fights then. And we can forget about all this, and him entertaining the idea of fighting Nate Diaz.
Just remember they were training partners, I am not syaing this is the case, but if Usman was always the better man in training, then its a done deal really isn't it.
Maybe having a tough fight with Colby and almost getting KO'd by burns was enough for him to realise Leon, CC 2 or WB could end it, so better to take the money before I cannot.
This is just assumptions by the way, but could easily be true

could be. but i think Marty has reached a level where its ok for him to fight for money.
Leon couldnt finish Nate, Colby has nothing new for him and WB is almost 40
with broken bones.

Simply being a champion doesn't guarantee the payday that sherdog insists that these guys aren't getting from the UFC.
No I mean you can't just pursue money fights as a champion. You have less freedom in my opinion.

All these coming from a self admitted Usman hater. Just wondering, what's your motive for hating on Usman?
h2tux.jpg
I don't like Usman but I respect his skills. I don't use him as a proxy to go after religious, racial or political group he belongs to.

could be. but i think Marty has reached a level where its ok for him to fight for money.
Leon couldnt finish Nate, Colby has nothing new for him and WB is almost 40
with broken bones.
Maybe but there is also that guy by the name of Israel Adesanya who is willing to fight Whittaker in October. He too is running lab in the division like Usman.

Back