Usman fighting for money and not legacy

I didn't read all of that but I can agree with some sentiments. That's what annoyed me about Usman is after he got the 1.3 million ppv buys, he acts as if he's made it. When he knocked out masvidal, I think in his head he solidified that he's made it. He acts like a larger than life superstar but I. My opinion has a subpar resume. Has a few good names but let's be honest it pails in comparison to other great p4p fighters even currently.

Part of this he can't help. You fight who's in front of you. But at the same time, it just annoying that you're knocking out journeymen and acting like you're a megastar now.

I'm still a fan though but man is it annoying. I get it though he's not khabib. He's not Conor. He won't always make big money fights. He's not going to sell out shows and ppvs. He has to capitalize and if he knocks out Nate, it would being in more casuals but still not aa great look
Agreed and well put, and do you think those 1.3M PPV buys were becuase it was Usman fighting? Or because it was Jorge?

And you just brought up another valid point, lets be real, I am sure he wants to fight Diaz cause Diaz will move the needle for him, giving him more than 1.3M PPV buys.
What happens if he fights boring Leon, WB or Colby? Will he still do 1.3M? Or is he afraid to show he is not the real needle mover?

I was a big fan of Usman, and this nonsense with Diaz is too much, Masvidal 2 didn't really bother me so much at the time, but now its becoming clear what he is doing.
If he fights Colby, Leon and WB, and the others that follow I will still rate him, but if he is gonna fight a guy who just got beat by a ranked number WW then I wont be supporting. Not that my support has an affect on his success, but its sad to see a potential GOAT get near to GSP's domination a defences of the WW division.

The Khabib part makes no sense. If Khabib cared about his legacy he would've moved up and fought Usman, not force GSP to cut to 155 then quit the sport. I guarantee you if Conor somehow becomes champ Khabib will return.

Anyway, Usman said he wants to fight Colby, Leon & Whittaker. All of this you see on social media is just negotiation tactics by Ali, don't overthink it, it's not that big of a deal.
Yes and no, if Khabib wanted red panty night 2 he could have easily had it, he chose to fight true LW contenders who deserved a title, and not hold up the division for another huge payday and easy win. Khabib is retired, regardless if Conor comes back, beats Dustin and Oliveira to become champ again (we know thats highly unlikely) he wont be coming back.

I hope its just Ali talking crap as usual, on his and Usman's account, didn't Usman not mention something about Diaz as well?
Either way, Usman not signing to fight Colby, fighting Masvidal twice is not a good look when Diaz gets brought up in the mix. I hope he defends againts the WW's who deserve it, and not Nate, who I am a massive fan of, just coming off a loss against Leon. Its just WWE/Paul Bros crap

I have rated Usman for a while, he worked and fought hard to get to where he is. But it seems with the news coming in that Ali and him are possibly looking at Diaz over Colby is an absolute joke. Clearly he trying to make as much money as he can, and avoid any tough competition.
Leon who is in line for the title fight, just beat the man they want to fight. Clearly they are ducking Leon, ducking Dolby, and hoping Burns deals with WB, and they get a big pay day fighting Nate.

Great legacy Usman is building..
If he wanted to build a legacy and be remembered as a great WW champ, he would sign to fight Colby in the coming months, then if WB beats Burns he can fight WB or Leon in any order.
Luque and Chiesa are fighting soon as well, so he could even fight them if he beats the above 3.

I started to get annoyed with him, when he gave Masvidal an unnecessary title shot. Either Masvidal is on some Conor level where he can demand an instant rematch (which we know he is not) or Usman is looking to pad his title defences and avoid tough competetion. Usman fought Burns in between so its technically not an instant rematch for Usman, but what did Masvidal do? It was an instant rematch for him.

Colby Covington
I know Colby gets a lot of hate, and I can understand why. When he did the whole Trump shtick, and going into the Usman fight, he was annoying and everyone wanted to see Usman shut him up.
But the fight was very close and Colby was even up, and the stoppage was not great, lets face it.
Now Colby has dropped a lot of his Trump talk, and now just name calling everyone and exposing them, I am finding him more entertaining, regardless, people say he doesn't deserve a rematch after beating T Wood? But he deserves it more than Masvidal who did nothing.

I think the Colby fight made Usman realise he can be beaten, and with Burns rocking him early, he knows fighting either Leon, CC 2 or WB, one will likely end in an upset for Usman. Hence why he fought Masvidal twice and is now looking at Nate

Leon Edwards
Poor Leon, boring as hell for a lot of us, but you have to respect his way of winning fights. Since loosing to Usman he has gone undefeated in 9 fights, 10 if you include the no contest.
He has not fought the greatest of fighters, but neither has anyone in the top 5 really as they are all ducking each other in the hope of a title shot. He is also not the most exciting of fighter both in and outside the cage.
Regardless, he has done enough in the WW division to fight Usman over Masvidal's rematch, some may argue not ahead of WB or CC, but he is still due a title shot.

Usman has 3 current top fighters ready to challenge him, and a 4th if you include Luque and Chiesa, you also have Chimaev who maybe a hype job or a real threat, and in the time of the above fights, we will see if Chimaev is worthy.
He can build a great legacy if he beats them all, like Izzy has done cleaning out the MW division. But for some reason Usman seems to not want to face them, and clean out the WW division.

Khabib Nurmagomedov
Khabib is a great example of a fighter who chose legacy over money, he had Conor desperate for the rematch. He had a red panty night begging him, any other fighter would have jumped at it, Khabib told him to go and win some fights then lets see. Say all you want about Khabib, but that shows you what legacy is. Idiots will say he was ducking, but no one would duck a red panty night unless you cared nothing about money and only about legacy and refused to fight someone straight after you beat them.

TLDR

Usman has become a joke and possibly wants to fight Diaz now
He is clearly ducking Colby, Leon and hoping Burns takes WB's head off so he can avoid WB too
He just wants easy money fights that pad his title defences
He has no honour
He does not care about legacy and beating the top WW fighters and cleaning out the division like Izzy in MW
He does not want to face anyone and everyone, as past great legacy fighters like GSP, SIlva, Jones etc have.
Why does everyone keep blaming fighters for shit that Dana does? If you think giving Masvidal the title shot was Usman's idea you're delusional. Dana wanted Mas, it's all about the $$.

the problem is in mma most guys have to pick one or the other, if they're lucky enough to even be in that position at all. I'd take the money too if it was a choice between that and moving up two spots on some nobody's list of welterweight GOATs

I think he deserves off the basis of having a very close fight with Usman, where the stoppage was unnecessary, and he beat T Wood. I do not need to defend my opinion, and my point is aimed at Usman ducking top contenders and choosing easy money fights over them. Maybe I should gone into more detail on why the top 5 WW's deserve it over Diaz, as opposed to going into detail on why Usman seems to be avoiding them. From what I see, they all want that Usman fight, but he apparently wants to give it to Diaz.

Sorry, but you should have to defend why a guy who LOST to him in a very decisive fashion 2 years ago and someone who was coming of 2 bad losses deserves a title shot.
Someone who fights once a year and only remains relevant by talking some cringy and offensive about other fighters.

It surprises me that you boldly claim Usman is afraid/ducking.
First of all, it was Ali who made the comment, and it is obvious that, if he only got unworthy fighters for a title shot, then fighting the most popular, the one who he can make most money off of makes perfect sense.

But that's besides the point, isn't it? You need to explain why you are so tough on everyone else, but Colby for some reason gets a pass.
<Fedor23><{hughesimpress}><36>

You know, if the UFC paid you based on talent and title rather than your mouth on twitter, maybe Usman would fight for legacy instead of paychecks.

Redirect your blame.

You have a picture of Trump's face made of dirt or shit as your profile picture. It's pretty clear you are being passive aggressive by discrediting Colby who is a known Trump supporter. I feel sorry for you honestly at this point. So insecure.

All these coming from a self admitted Usman hater. Just wondering, what's your motive for hating on Usman?
h2tux.jpg

Why does everyone keep blaming fighters for shit that Dana does? If you think giving Masvidal the title shot was Usman's idea you're delusional. Dana wanted Mas, it's all about the $$.
Maybe, but going from Ali, they want Diaz. Dana said he wants Colby

Technically, Usman has beaten both Colby and Leon already. The Leon fight though was a long time ago and both have improved even though I’d still favor Usman.

But Colby isn’t deserving of a rematch just yet. He got dropped twice in the first fight and Usman literally broke his face. He’s only beaten a past prime Woodley since then while Usman has beaten far tougher competition.

Considering how active Usman has been this year, I’d give him the Nate fight as a token of appreciation followed by Leon.

The only other fighter in the division Usman hasn’t fought is Wonderboy. Given his age, I’d like to see that fight happen sooner rather than later.
Active yes, 2 fights this year. 1 in Burns and 1 in Masvidal, would hardly say that warrants a money with Diaz who just got beat by a ranked 3 waiting in line contender. As much as I cant stand Leon and love Nate, that would be the biggest BS move on the whole division. Usman must think no one is worthy of fighting him, hence with his tweets "Show me something" Clearly doesn't want to defend like a real champ like Izzy.

This legacy talk is one of the most laughable topics ever mentioned.

MMA fans have such a short attention span that they think you’re terrible if you lose two fights.

Oh I’m going to fight for peanuts so some internet nerds talk about me for an extra month instead of making generational money for my family.

I'm sure he's proud of the path he's choosing and has chosen.

We need to reach a consesus on Sherdog:

If fighters don't make enough money, they shouldn't be bashed for going for the money fights.

Honor doesn't feed that man's daughter.
No but I am sure he makes more than enough to feed her, without the need to duck top contenders that would still earn him more than enough money.

Usman's and Khabib's situations are different. Khabib made enough money and has a gazillion followers, will keep earning. Usman hasn't made that kind of money/status yet, so he has to campaign for it. Same with Poirier and Conor.

But I believe the money comes with merit. Usman will get paid more if he beats top contenders, and that way gets the legacy as well, if that's important to him. Nate Diaz counts as much of a title defense as Ngannou going back in time and winning the Super Hulk. It's more funny than anything.

Last edited:
It's his life and he wants to make money. Lifes to short to be worried about what random people on the internet think of you.
Depends on how you want to be seen in the future, a duck or a great. The likes of Tyson, GSP, Silva, Jones never shied away from a challenge

the problem is in mma most guys have to pick one or the other, if they're lucky enough to even be in that position at all. I'd take the money too if it was a choice between that and moving up two spots on some nobody's list of welterweight GOATs
Well I guess he knows he will never be on GSP's level, so might as well just sell out and take easy fights and be remembered as the guy who retired and never fought Leon, WB and other top contenders who deserved it.

Agree, watch the GSP haters hype up Usman as already the WW Goat and conviniently ignore Usman's glaringly obvious attempts to cherry pick easy title defenses though

Who? Colby which was a bad stoppage and Colby was probably up on the score card, Masvidal, Burns, and who was the last? Oh yeah Masvidal again. Great, clearly the WW GOAT, makes GSP look amateur.

Well I have to hand it to you. You sure know how to discredit a guy! Correct me if i'm wrong but he beat them all no? 4 title defenses...yeah, Usman is terrible. LOL

Colby was done bro. In the end Usman had all the power. You saying it doesn't make it true.

Wait, Colby, is this you? You almost fooled me!<[analyzed}>

Sorry, but you should have to defend why a guy who LOST to him in a very decisive fashion 2 years ago and someone who was coming of 2 bad losses deserves a title shot.
Someone who fights once a year and only remains relevant by talking some cringy and offensive about other fighters.

It surprises me that you boldly claim Usman is afraid/ducking.
First of all, it was Ali who made the comment, and it is obvious that, if he only got unworthy fighters for a title shot, then fighting the most popular, the one who he can make most money off of makes perfect sense.

But that's besides the point, isn't it? You need to explain why you are so tough on everyone else, but Colby for some reason gets a pass.
<Fedor23><{hughesimpress}><36>
Clearly you hate Colby, lets not go there. Colby wants to fight Usman, as does Leon and WB if he gets past Burns. Usman does not want to fight them, my point was about Usman not wanting to face them, Not about me needing to prove why Colby deserves the next shot. I didn't make the thread "Colby Deserves the next shot" did I. Colby's is in this beuase Dana said Colby is, so we all assume Colby is next.

And Usman also made the comment "Show me something" like no one is worthy to fight him. And didn't Usman mention Diaz as well?

Anyway its irrelevant at this time as nothing is confirmed, it might just be Ali strring shit and trolling, no wonder why Usman wants a new manger.

You know, if the UFC paid you based on talent and title rather than your mouth on twitter, maybe Usman would fight for legacy instead of paychecks.

Redirect your blame.
Usman is champ, and earns enough. Les not put him on some pre lim level pay here. That's just a BS excuse, he earns enough but is greedy and wants more. And will choose money over proving himself as the real champ

Back