Movies UNCUT GEMS Starring Adam Sandler (First Trailer Released)

If you dislike this film because it was unrelatable, stressful or confusing it's because it is not cookie cutter hollywood garbage. It didn't leave you dreaming of becoming a jewelry dealer or gambler (or mobster, trafficker, arms dealer, vigilante). It shouldn't. Those people live short, violent, tragic lives. As someone who has lived on the periphery of this life I don't think it could be portrayed any more truthfully. I wish there was far more of this in cinema.

I didnt like it because it feels like style over substance, and the style is not my type, that urban rapid fire editing and telephoto lenses thing

The bad guy enforcers are all classic cardboard cutout henchmen

The two female characters are bitchy wife and hot slutty girlfriend

There is not a single moment of insight or revelation

In fact there is nothing clever that happens at all, just one scene after another of Sandler being a human trainwreck and the inevitable conclusion

The movie itself is very much an Uncut Gem ie. not fully realized imo with lots of spotty acting, rough takes, weird reaction shots etc.

I’m just hearing about this now and that’s only cause someone bumped this thread. Looks like I got a movie to watch tonight. Sweet.

Pic ????

(lazy basterd....)

EnlightenedSparklingEnglishsetter-size_restricted.gif

JULIA_FOX_.gif

Pretty sure Sandler found some inspiration in his immediate family.
Well he is an NYC Jew himself, but he doesn't really have the stereotypical mannerisms. For this movie though he cranked it up to 11.

I didnt like it because it feels like style over substance, and the style is not my type, that urban rapid fire editing and telephoto lenses thing

In fact there is nothing clever that happens at all, just one scene after another of Sandler being a human trainwreck and the inevitable conclusion

The movie itself is very much an Uncut Gem ie. not fully realized imo with lots of spotty acting, rough takes, weird reaction shots etc.

Generally agree though I didn't hate it and understand why others liked it but I thought it had a lot of issues which would would keep me from ever watching it again. The movie took itself serious but infused with over the top caricatures and the lead could have been replaced with Ernest goes to Camp/Jewelry store...etc for the level of stupidity that was being portrayed.

Ernest_P._Worrell.jpg

I felt like there was an excellent movie hidden at it's core but a drama mixed with Benny Hill level stupidity was hurting this movie.

Style and substance went gorgeously hand in hand throughout the movie as Uncut Gems was not about introspection or revelation but a giddy downspiral thrill ride.

Freaking loved it, my wife on the other hand did not. I'm guessing that is exactly how this movie will be remembered, polarizing.

Well he is an NYC Jew himself, but he doesn't really have the stereotypical mannerisms. For this movie though he cranked it up to 11.
He moved to Manchester, New Hampshire when he was 5. The way he talks is a lot more like someone from New Hampshire/New England than Brooklyn/New York. There aren't a lot of Jews in that area overall, mostly French and Irish, although Sarah Silverman grew up in that area too (also Seth Meyers who's 1/4 Jewish).

I enjoyed this movie. I would give it a 7.5/10. I understand why some would not like it but I feel like they hit their marks and it had the feel/style they were really gunning for. I found the movie very frustrating and kinda stressful. I don't know if I will ever watch it again but its worth checking out.

I am trying to figure out what to compare it to? High Paced NYC Jewish version of Lost in Translation?

Style and substance went gorgeously hand in hand throughout the movie as Uncut Gems was not about introspection or revelation but a giddy downspiral thrill ride.
Uncut Gems was like California Split but w/ that special brand of NYC kinetic energy that the Safdie’s have honed & perfected

I am trying to figure out what to compare it to? High Paced NYC Jewish version of Lost in Translation?
see above

This has to be the most uncomfortable to watch, anxiety ridden movie ever made.

this just hit netflix for all the scumbags who didn't pay to see it in theaters

I have to say this movie is good but not great like the hype made it seem to be. I just watched it on Netflix. I Definitely enjoyed it but it didn’t meet the hype imo.

Back