Media UFC Tried To Book Jamahal Hill Against Unranked Opponent For UFC 283

So we should all become complacent with rank squatting and any conversation over it should cease?

Here's the thing we're all hardcore fans here. We understanding the issues with rankings. We hate rank squatting. And we have discussed many times for many years. We have beat this conversation like a dead horse. It's become super repetitive. Bringing it up again isn't gonna change anything. It's best just to move on

Rankings are still indicative of where someone is in the division.

Hill has earned his spot. He beat Santos, Walker, Crute. All good fighters.

Meanwhile, Jailton's best win is . . . Parker Porter lol.

Why should Hill fight someone so far below him right now when he wants to get closer to the title. A win over Jailton would get him nowhere.

He'd very likely lose it too.

Santos 1-4 going into the Hill fight

Walker 1-4 going into the Hill fight

Crute coming off a TKO loss going into Hill fight

We can both play down each guys wins. When it’s put into context, a win over Almeida would be much more impressive than any one of those guys… we both know that. Like you said it’s the UFC politics.

I would take Almeida, so I can see why he would decline. To be fair to Hill he is in a position where he should be fighting up the rankings but a win over Almeida would get him a really big fight without a doubt.

I honestly think Almeida would run through hill. Smart move

Santos 1-4 going into the Hill fight

Walker 1-4 going into the Hill fight

Crute coming off a TKO loss going into Hill fight

We can both play down each guys wins. When it’s put into context, a win over Almeida would be much more impressive than any one of those guys… we both know that. Like you said it’s the UFC politics.

All of those guys may have had losses lately, but they're all to better opponents than Jailton has faced, which is sorta my point. Porter isn't in his division what all those guys above are in theirs no matter how it's downplayed.

Jailton just needs that big win. A fight against Hill is just a tad too much right now.

Oh, and mate, don't think I'm implying that Jailton wouldn't beat those guys above either. I'm big on Jailton. He just needs to fight someone a little better than those he's been feasting on so far.

All of those guys may have had losses lately, but they're all to better opponents than Jailton has faced, which is sorta my point. Porter isn't in his division what all those guys above are in theirs no matter how it's downplayed.

Jailton just needs that big win. A fight against Hill is just a tad too much right now.

Oh, and mate, don't think I'm implying that Jailton wouldn't beat those guys above either. I'm big on Jailton. He just needs to fight someone a little better than those he's been feasting on so far.

I get your point bud, I get we’re on the same page for the most part. Almeida does have to prove himself before getting high profile fights, but at the same time I don’t want him getting stuck on undercards for years because nobody wants to fight him(like Khabib and Mak when they were coming up).

Just some side notes:

- The only reason he fought Parker Porter is because Maxim Grishin pulled out last minute, and nobody at LHW wanted to step up so Almeida agreed to fight at HW.

- His very next fight with Anton Turkalj was also because his opponent pulled out at the last minute. It was supposed to be against Abdurakhimov.

Almeida is trying to get the tough fights, there’s just nobody reciprocating. I think we both agree that he shouldn’t be penalized for this.

He's right to decline it. He has almost nothing to gain by it given his current position at LHW.
Makes no sense to take that fight

it makes perfect sense if you're confident you can beat him and you think he's going to be a good fighter.

the pros outweigh the cons here. the cons are all connected to losing to him. so sure, it makes perfect sense to not take the fight if you think he'll beat you. but if you think you can beat him and you look at his potential trajectory, you should definitely fight him now. why? because if you beat him now and he ends up being a top guy the win looks great for you. fighting him now is better than waiting until he gets better. beating him now will also keep him out of your lane for a while.

i wouldn't be surprised if Almeida surpasses Hill in a year in the rankings and then what? Hill is going to ask to fight him? and Almeida will just say you had your chance.

i hope you guys don't whine about rank squatting from other fighters if this is what you really think Hill should do.

I can’t wait to see how Almeida’s career turns out. He seems to be gifted and can fight in two weight classes. Two of the thinner weight classes as well so the sky really is the limit.
Dude can't fight at two weight classes, are you kidding me? Almeida seems vastly overrated. Dude either needs to fight at LHW or HW, fuck all this catchweight bullshit. Either lose the weight, or fight with the big bois.

I don't think he is that good but the division is mainly strikers. Jailton isn't a good matchup for him. Jailton is a risky fight and not worth it

This is why some things were better when there were no UFC rankings

You knew who the best fighters were. Just because someone is unranked now, doesn't mean they're worse than anyone who is ranked.

Dude can't fight at two weight classes, are you kidding me? Almeida seems vastly overrated. Dude either needs to fight at LHW or HW, fuck all this catchweight bullshit. Either lose the weight, or fight with the big bois.
His catch weight fights were vs LHWs...

Def smarter move to fight Smith in a main event.

I do think Jailton needs to go back to LHW.

I get your point bud, I get we’re on the same page for the most part. Almeida does have to prove himself before getting high profile fights, but at the same time I don’t want him getting stuck on undercards for years because nobody wants to fight him(like Khabib and Mak when they were coming up).

Just some side notes:

- The only reason he fought Parker Porter is because Maxim Grishin pulled out last minute, and nobody at LHW wanted to step up so Almeida agreed to fight at HW.

- His very next fight with Anton Turkalj was also because his opponent pulled out at the last minute. It was supposed to be against Abdurakhimov.

Almeida is trying to get the tough fights, there’s just nobody reciprocating. I think we both agree that he shouldn’t be penalized for this.

Yeh, I think it's a double-edged sword what he's been doing. It's awesome that he gives no fucks and will take the short notice fights at LHW or HW. The only issue is that while he does deserve some reward for that (as do his opponents who stepped in as well of course), he just doesn't have the resume to actually nab anyone decent yet.

I wouldn't worry about him getting stuck on undercards for too long. The UFC like this guy. He's also 31. They're not going to let him languish low in the rankings for too long.

At some point soon, and I think it'll be after his next fight against Shamil, the UFC are going to force him up through the rankings, provided he wins (he should lol). He might not get Hill, but I think it's certain he gets someone people know.

He’s made 205 in the UFC, and his next fight is at HW. I don’t get your problem. How is he overrated? He’s 3-0 and has barely been hit. How could he possibly have started his UFC career better than that?

Back