Ufc sabotages lower weight class ppvs

Conor's like 5'8" and he's the biggest draw...

Smart in some areas, dumb in others. His career choices have been very stupid if he was ever looking to be a draw, and that is not on the UFC. I don't think that's all that debatable.

Maybe... it's not like he's messed his career up or anything, he's just left some money on the table by playing it too safe.

All of this is moot anyway if they end up booking him vs TJ or Cody which I think will eventually happen

When it comes to casual fans, I don't even think most of them care about the undercard. Probably a lot of them order the fights but don't even tune in until the co-main. I say this because this is what I do for boxing fights.

Countless boxers would tell you otherwise. Controversy is what sells. A good story artfully told also sells. Greatness sells but someone has to be pounding the pulpit. Relegating some of your finest fighters to mediocre cards just because they don’t sell themselves with idiotic antics is just plain dumb. And having a myriad of commercials on shitty networks isn’t helping especially when those networks are the same ones that carry free UFC fights (more or less free). I do get that a fighter like MM will never draw unless the UFC pulls out all the stops and gets more creative.

People gravitate toward the higher weight classes. Why? Because this is fighting, and we inherently want to know who the baddest fighters are.

Any heavyweight (or WW for that matter) on the UFC roster would use MM for a toilet brush if he wanted to.

Generally speaking, people just are not as interested in what looks like 12 year olds fighting, not matter how talented they are.

In every business, you basically get paid based upon your worth to the company. The UFC makes very little on MM. The smaller divisions only exist because they wanted to have a lot more shows during the year. The days of one PPV per month and that being it are long gone. They needed some content for the free tv shows.

MM had the chance for the biggest payday of his career and comes off looking like a cowardly duck.

There were attempts of heavy promotion of DJ and putting him in stacked main card but all fell short and numbers were relatively the same throughout. So go cry me a river, DJ is a bore as a character and can't draw. He should be happy getting what he does as there, in the bigger weight classes, is much bigger risks of health and bigger pool of people that enter mma competition than his.

People gravitate toward the higher weight classes. Why? Because this is fighting, and we inherently want to know who the baddest fighters are.

Any heavyweight (or WW for that matter) on the UFC roster would use MM for a toilet brush if he wanted to.

Generally speaking, people just are not as interested in what looks like 12 year olds fighting, not matter how talented they are.

In every business, you basically get paid based upon your worth to the company. The UFC makes very little on MM. The smaller divisions only exist because they wanted to have a lot more shows during the year. The days of one PPV per month and that being it are long gone. They needed some content for the free tv shows.

MM had the chance for the biggest payday of his career and comes off looking like a cowardly duck.
You seen prertty sure that the UFC makes very little on MM fights. How do you know that? What does very little mean? My assumption is that it’s relative. What does the UFC spend on promoting him? The cost benefit may be pretty good. The net won’t be nearly as high as the top draws but it may be just fine in relative terms. Is there economic justification for a $million? I don’t imagine so, but that may be more a product of the seeming disparity in fighter pay and UFC net income. I’m not sure of any of this.

You seen prertty sure that the UFC makes very little on MM fights. How do you know that? What does very little mean? My assumption is that it’s relative. What does the UFC spend on promoting him? The cost benefit may be pretty good. The net won’t be nearly as high as the top draws but it may be just fine in relative terms. Is there economic justification for a $million? I don’t imagine so, but that may be more a product of the seeming disparity in fighter pay and UFC net income. I’m not sure of any of this.

I can only say the UFC has always been pretty clear about paying the people that bring in the revenue.

And MM is the one saying he should get millions per fight. Right off the bat you agree that there is no justification for even 1 million.

Plus, we can see the low viewership of his Fox events, and the shockingly low PPV buys he gets.

But, going back to the title of this thread - the idea that the UFC sabatoges lower weight class PPV is just ridiculous. The Fertitis, Dana and WME would literally do anything to make more money.

I can only say the UFC has always been pretty clear about paying the people that bring in the revenue.

And MM is the one saying he should get millions per fight. Right off the bat you agree that there is no justification for even 1 million.

Plus, we can see the low viewership of his Fox events, and the shockingly low PPV buys he gets.

But, going back to the title of this thread - the idea that the UFC sabatoges lower weight class PPV is just ridiculous. The Fertitis, Dana and WME would literally do anything to make more money.
So we should ignore Dana’s notoriously and historically inaccurate/dishonest rhetoric and comments about fights, injuries, conversations, polls, and fighters worth? This time he MUST be telling the truth. Why because it fits some contrived narrative about manlets? Most of the events have flopped in comparison to the “good ole days”. Very few fighters are immune to that phenomenon, perhaps only Conor, Jon, and Brock. Maybe GSP too but even his last outing underperformed. Not a flop but it underperformed. My comment about $million dollars doesn’t prove an point other than DJ is quite possibly not worth that payout on a typical night. How many fighters on the UFC roster are? A couple perhaps, at least that what’s were led to believe.

So we should ignore Dana’s notoriously and historically inaccurate/dishonest rhetoric and comments about fights, injuries, conversations, polls, and fighters worth? This time he MUST be telling the truth. Why because it fits some contrived narrative about manlets? Most of the events have flopped in comparison to the “good ole days”. Very few fighters are immune to that phenomenon, perhaps only Conor, Jon, and Brock. Maybe GSP too but even his last outing underperformed. Not a flop but it underperformed. My comment about $million dollars doesn’t prove an point other than DJ is quite possibly not worth that payout on a typical night. How many fighters on the UFC roster are? A couple perhaps, at least that what’s were led to believe.

I'll just point out my own habits. I don't buy PPV with anyone under 145 headlining. I don't know many people who get that excited about 135 and nobody that gets excited about 125.

Do I believe that the Fertitas, White and now WME shortchanges the fighters, generally, and pays them less than they should? Yes. I'd like to see every fighter get a raise. Every. Single. One.

That being said, I just don't see MM being worth even 1 million a fight (and he wants 2 million) when I see what other champions are getting. I think he knows he won't get this. I'm not saying he is "scared" of TJ, just that he prefers to play it safe at 125 and is in fact, ducking.

Of course I don't know full revenue numbers for the UFC. But I do know that I'm not interested in buying MM PPV, and neither are the majority of PPV buyers.

I'll just point out my own habits. I don't buy PPV with anyone under 145 headlining. I don't know many people who get that excited about 135 and nobody that gets excited about 125.

Do I believe that the Fertitas, White and now WME shortchanges the fighters, generally, and pays them less than they should? Yes. I'd like to see every fighter get a raise. Every. Single. One.

That being said, I just don't see MM being worth even 1 million a fight (and he wants 2 million) when I see what other champions are getting. I think he knows he won't get this. I'm not saying he is "scared" of TJ, just that he prefers to play it safe at 125 and is in fact, ducking.

Of course I don't know full revenue numbers for the UFC. But I do know that I'm not interested in buying MM PPV, and neither are the majority of PPV buyers.

They are worth what they sign for, nothing more.

There are too many entitled people already. If they want more, they can go start their own org and pay themselves whatever they want. Easy right?

I like the UFC less and less everyday. I think it is garbage compared to what it was in early 2000's. I also think Dana White is an asshole. However, I'm not going to cry when someone gets paid what they've agreed to.

Also, UFC 227 is an absolutely terrible card. I wouldn't pay $5 to watch it.

I get shit whenever I say this but as much as I appreciate DJ's skills, I can't really get too emotionally invested in watching a fight between guys who are the size I was in like 4th grade... literally...

No hate or anything, I like DJ personally. Seems like one of the few actually smart guys in MMA.
I think moreso than the size is the speed. These guys move so erratically there’s not nearly the same sense of drama as the heavier weight classes.

what exactly are you suggesting he's lying about in this context?? dj is measured as a draw against his peers, and he just doesn't bring the interest.

The majority of PPV buyers aren’t interested in buying any of the UFC offerings. With a couple of exceptions, that’s been the running story for the past two years. On MM worth: I haven’t said MM is worth $million payout, I said I didn’t imagine he was. MM is not huge draw on his own, no doubt. That doesn’t mean he’s not making the UFC decent money. However he apparently isn’t making them what they want, especially out of a belt holder. We can pontificate all they want about scared, playing safe, no one cares...the truth we really don’t know what’s going on there and Dana’s history is oriented towards obfuscation.

I think moreso than the size is the speed. These guys move so erratically there’s not nearly the same sense of drama as the heavier weight classes.

Yeah this also isn't said enough. I think sherdoggers watch the lower weight classes and can see what is happening, and don't realize that to a casual fan some of these fights at lower weight classes must just look like an incomprehensible blur of movement, especially when they're grappling

I remember when I first watched WEC and it took me a few fights to get the speed of it.

Last edited:
Yeah this also isn't said enough. I think sherdoggers watch the lower weight classes and can see what is happening, and don't realize that to a casual fan some of these fights at lower weight classes must just look like an incomprehensible blur of movement
Yeah. It’s exacerbated by their short ranges of motions, too. Their hooks travel like 6 inches, so even to an experienced eye it can be tiring to watch. Coupled with a relative inability to hurt each other, the fights just don’t have appeal. I appreciate the skill, I like watching the highlights, but watching a 5 rounder at flyweight is exhausting.

I don’t think it’s the UFC’s fault that this card lacks big names. I’m sure they wanted big fights on a PPV main card with those two title bouts, but fighters are becoming more diva-like by the day, and now will only fight on THEIR terms when it comes to time, money, and opponent.

Not that I’m necessarily hating on that, these people are trying to make what they see as a good living.

Ridiculous.
As much as I want to see the main event, I'm not paying $69 for one fight I'm interested in.

I don't think the UFC sabotaging anything. How would that make any sense? The UFC is gonna sabotage their own business interests knowing that it'll affect profit margins?? That makes zero sense.

The fact of the matter is that MOST fans of the sport, even the hardcore ones, are not exactly enticed by the prospect of watching 125-135 pound "men" fight each other. It's not interesting to a lot of people, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I personally like bantamweight, but flyweight is fuckin useless and everyone with a brain knows it. My opinion? UFC needs to give DJ an ultimatum: Be a fuckin man and defend your 125lb title against the BW champ, move up to fight the BW champ for the 135 title, or relinquish your belt and the flyweight division will be permanently shut down. Fuck 'em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back