UFC on ESPN+ 27 Benavidez vs Figueiredo

Damn alot of power from Joey

The way the current odds are going i am getting very tempted by the benevidez line. DF has a hard time against wrestlers, i dont think benebidez TDs are the best, but he should have a decent speed advantage too, but DF is one scary MF.

At a glance I've got to say Joey B with the decision or possibly ko in the ME.
Also seems odd Dawson is back so soon after being USADAed off a card. Wonder how Minners grappling is?
Nothing here but after Grant was pulled off that last card he posted a video grappling against two girls at once.
Can't speak to his skill level but at least the man is having fun.

Not sure which chick was in the purple Wagman I assume. Dig the enthusiasm but I'd gladly bet against her.

Haha that was some funny shit

Grant Dawson will beat this journey man

Last edited:
The way the current odds are going i am getting very tempted by the benevidez line. DF has a hard time against wrestlers, i dont think benebidez TDs are the best, but he should have a decent speed advantage too, but DF is one scary MF.
Haven't gotten to brushing up on DF yet but Joey's kicks impressed me. Sounds lot a bat landing and he had JF hurt badly before with body kicks before he even moved in for the kill.

How much do tickets usually go for these things? About a 7 hour drive but I'm really tempted to go and get a cheap seat in the nose bleeds

How much do tickets usually go for these things? About a 7 hour drive but I'm really tempted to go and get a cheap seat in the nose bleeds
It's a terrible card I'm sure you will get great prices on seats better than nosebleeds as they get desperate to sell tickets.

Interesting thing to look at with Benavidez. Look at how many grapplers he has faced recently. It's pretty insane to think about. In his last 10, I'd argue that every single one of them are primarily grapplers with the exception of Sergio and arguably Moraga. We know Benavidez has insane grappling ability and you can argue that he had the striking advantages due to these other fighters mainly being grapplers. As Mighty Mouse pointed out, Benavidez has a lot of major flaws striking. I think this is potentially a horrible matchup for him if he doesn't hit the takedowns. I'm not so sure his takedown ability is that great either - I think a lot of the fighters that he's faced welcomed the grappling.

It's a terrible card I'm sure you will get great prices on seats better than nosebleeds as they get desperate to sell tickets.
Sweet I've never been to one live.
Probably no barn burners like last week's main but I want to see some of the prospect here. Ismail, Allen, and a few more might be good.

Ion vs Magomed

I will start by saying the line is off but I do favour Magomed to win the fight, maybe you just want to stop here..

Ion is obviously dangerous in particular areas and I do feel we are seeing a fighter grow and evolve in front us but he comes with easy to identify draw backs.

Essentially a power punching brawler he does have a greco Roman background and he will implement it at times.

Looking like Canelo Alvarez who drank the super juice he's an imposing figure, heavily muscled and clearly tough. Never losing by strikes he's loses come where his weaknesses lie - Fights that go long and fights that wear down his gas tank with heavy grappling.

Ion has a very fast and explosive first round and I have no doubt he can put anyone in the division out with his power hooks. Early in his UFC career we saw him essentially go for broke and if the initial onslaught failed so did his gas tank.

His wrestling is there and can be effective but due to the Greco background we see most of his takedowns come against the cage with body locks and occasionally trips, he rarely shoots or goes below the hips.

Magomed has proven to be very strong here, he will reverse in the clinch, uses trips himself and is good at using momentum in takedowns and scrambles to end up on top or escape.

In the UFC we have only seen Magomed take on one person with a similar physical build and power to Ion and that's Dalcha. Ion is better everywhere than Dalcha in my opinion, so the comparison really does end there, or par athletically but not technically.

Magomed paces himself well, takes his time and selects his shots carefully, nothing is throw just to throw. He faints and tests continuously through out the fight and picks his shots carefully. Often he will catch opponents as they come in, he has beautiful short uppercuts and fights very well in the pocket for someone with long limbs.

He tests with long punches and kicks but can fire on a hair trigger, head and body kicks come from no where and with snappy speed. A down side to this is he is fairly low out put and tends to wait too much.

Ion has no wait in him, he will attack fast and often early pushing forward looking to overwhelm his opponent. He wings big punches and big kicks to the body, little of this is set up, more of a bull in the china shop approach, Hulk smash...

Both men are effective on top when they can find a good position to attack, both favour ground and pound, elbows in particular, over searching for submissions. Magomed does a better job of maintaining position and keeping his opponent on the ground once he has them there, with or without landing damage get will hold and do enough to take time off the clock.

Ion does slow, but he also stays in the fight. After a round out put and explosion are less of a threat and he will spend more time in the clich and when he does strike it's more single shots. His striking defence is bad, he eats a lot of punches, he takes them well and wears damage well but he gets hit almost as much as he thrown.

On the other hand Magomed is rarely hit and is excellent at avoiding strikes while landing his own, this is also reflected in the stats.

Something that has to be noted is completion level. Ion entered the UFC fighting Misha, shortly after he gets Cannonier and later fights Glover. To this point Magomed's best opponent is Paul Craig. A tricky debut but not a fighter on the level of those Ion has faced.

Both fighters are coming off of their career best performances and we saw a change in approach from Ion in his fight against Bangkok Ready. He attacked with wrestling early and often, went for take downs below the hips, ducked a big hook and dived on the hips for a lovely clean takedown and basically overwhelmed everywhere from the get go.

Both men have had their chins tested at times and both have shown to take punches well but there is no denying both men have been stunned at times.

A measured and more calculated Ion could be a very dangerous fighter and I feel that is what we will see in this fight. The best version of Ion yet, but, I don't feel it will be enough yet for someone as balanced and reserved as Magomed. His game is one of tactics and a slow but steady dismantling. I feel he will be prepared for the early onslaught, or at least expecting it. If he survives he will go on to make reads and carefully dismantle.

Magomed is a round winner who has moments of surprising speed and precision.

Ion is a power blitzer who wants to crush whatever is in front of him.

There is an early storm to weather and Magomed will need to keep his wits about him through out but I favour him to win a calculated and tactical decision.

I would reccomend anyone who has bet Magomed to hedge with an Ion round 1 KO. Have to note that Ion has one decision win in 19 pro fights and Magomed is unlikely to be number two.

As straight picks the lines are dead, but a Magomed decision play may hold some value still. As much as Magomed can control from top he has no submission wins and I feel it would take a lot of damage to get Ion out of there.

No props are available but if I choose to play this fight I would be looking at Magomed by decision or fight goes the distance.

Interesting thing to look at with Benavidez. Look at how many grapplers he has faced recently. It's pretty insane to think about. In his last 10, I'd argue that every single one of them are primarily grapplers with the exception of Sergio and arguably Moraga. We know Benavidez has insane grappling ability and you can argue that he had the striking advantages due to these other fighters mainly being grapplers. As Mighty Mouse pointed out, Benavidez has a lot of major flaws striking. I think this is potentially a horrible matchup for him if he doesn't hit the takedowns. I'm not so sure his takedown ability is that great either - I think a lot of the fighters that he's faced welcomed the grappling.
Yeah I'd have to agree. Joe B can be anxious standing, flinches, closes his eyes. His offensive grappling has always been below his defensive. Might be enough to best Fig in grappling exchanges tho seeing how Fig uses like 80% physicality to get up. That said though pretty sure Fig and baby Pettis have similar defensive grappling ability. Fig doesn't throw a boat load of strikes but neither does Joe B and Joe B is far less accurate. Fig more likely to land and much harder. Joe B a million years ol for a FLW. Not gonna spit the narrative that Joe B is slowing down but maybe he is a tad.

Yeah I'd have to agree. Joe B can be anxious standing, flinches, closes his eyes. His offensive grappling has always been below his defensive. Might be enough to best Fig in grappling exchanges tho seeing how Fig uses like 80% physicality to get up. That said though pretty sure Fig and baby Pettis have similar defensive grappling ability. Fig doesn't throw a boat load of strikes but neither does Joe B and Joe B is far less accurate. Fig more likely to land and much harder. Joe B a million years ol for a FLW. Not gonna spit the narrative that Joe B is slowing down but maybe he is a tad.

The other thing about Joe's grappling is that it isn't really based on control. He loves scrambles. I'm thinking he needs a club and sub, a slick guillotine that Fig doesn't see coming, or a very close decision. I can definitely see Fig getting a KO, but I can also see him taking a clear decision. I'm capping Fig in the upper -100s approaching -200. I'd probably cap it even higher if it wasn't for Joe being such a veteran and his finishing ability. I'd be very surprised to see him easily win rounds.

I'm on Figueiredo too. Happy to get him at plus money. Pantoja isn't exactly the best comparison to Benavidez, but I can see the fight playing out similar to that one.

Joey B is only 2 years older than Fig.. And those are Brazilian years so Fig is probably closer to 45

Undefeated Ankalaev is the right side against Ion,,only dangereous inr1" Cutelaba

Can anybody find a single recent Spike Carlyle fight? I can find a highlight of his recent spinning backfist KO and a bunch of amateur fights, but not a single one of his pro performances.

Can anybody find a single recent Spike Carlyle fight? I can find a highlight of his recent spinning backfist KO and a bunch of amateur fights, but not a single one of his pro performances.

Vs Rosario

Vs Rodriguez

Vs Wells

Vs Highland

Pretty impressed with Gabriel Silvas grappling against borg, held his own and even won the first half of the fight.

Pretty impressed with Gabriel Silvas grappling against borg, held his own and even won the first half of the fight.

I've only made a couple plays so far and he is one of them. Kyler is tough to read though, and he may be an underachiever.

Back