UFC must bring back knees to a grounded opponant!!!

It’s not their call, you yahoo.

And if you think mainstream will ever allow that, you’re an idiot. Smarten up, grow up. And quit making shit threads up.

Grounded knees yeah, I don't want stomps and soccer kicks.

Yeah I know Pride and others had it and nothing bad happened, but it would honestly be just a matter of time.

Imagine Ngannou stomping Overeem or soccer kicking semi-folded Stipe....

great post!!! the absolute Terror of elbows when Muay Thai first made its debut in America was extremely palpable... heck they wouldn't even allow you to knee to the Head and don't get me started on American kickboxing and it's Terror campaign against Muay Thai

People were so crazy they were even suggesting that Thais had a special racial advantage that allow their bodies to tolerate elbows better than Caucasians blacks and other types of Asians

Even my beloved K1 Nerfed down the Muay Thai rules in order to make the sport more culturally acceptable and here we are today in MMA where athletes are throwing hard core spinning elbows to each others face

it's entirely cultural and makes us look like a bunch of Nancy sissies because we're afraid of a technique the rest of the world considers standard

There's literally thousands of years of data associated with Muay Thai and overall it's proven to be safer than Victorian boxing!!!!

There's absolutely no difference in the concussive impact of a kick or a knee just because an athlete has got their hand or knee on the ground

The wrestlers and BJJ guys aren't terribly keen on it, that's for sure

Thousands of years of data say that this not a fucking UFC decision, yellow belt.

Now don’t start a thread about rules who you don’t know makes.

Grounded knees yeah, I don't want stomps and soccer kicks.

Yeah I know Pride and others had it and nothing bad happened, but it would honestly be just a matter of time.

Imagine Ngannou stomping Overeem or soccer kicking semi-folded Stipe....
there's absolutely no difference in the concussive impact of a strike in relation to the height its thrown

I remember when I joined Sherdog this was one of the hottest topics and I probably saw it twice a week for a couple of years.
I think it's getting much more pertinent again because of what happened recently with yan versus Sterling and DJ's fate in one

nobody's head was getting stomped in back in the nhb days

There's absolutely no difference in the concussive impact of a strike whether you have your knee or hand on the ground or not
Stomped on, not in. I just personally don't find a fighter laying on the ground with their head being stomped entertaining or necessary.

Caved in is in reference to knees, and that has happened.

I do think the hand on the mat rule is stupid and shouldn't be considered being grounded, but a fighter that's actually on the ground should not be getting kneed in the head.

You do realize that the NHB days are what held MMA back from being widely accepted for so long, right? In many countries, not just the US. Do you know that there are still countries that MMA is banned in, but you don't seem to have an issue with any of them?

UFC was founded and took place mostly in the US in the NHB days, be grateful that you can even still watch UFC at all.

If the rules hadn't been changed, UFC would no longer exist.

Stomps would be a difficult sell but I think the kick could really bring the game up a notch. Not having to worry about whether or not an opponent is grounded before you let a kick fly will really increase the effectiveness of this important tool. I think it's painfully obvious that American MMA promotions wanted fake wrestlers like Brock Lesnar to be champion and that's why they did everything they could to keep that style of fighting protected from the classicly Asian techniques that threatened them so much.

They pretty much freaked out when Mike Van Arsdale almost got decapitated by the axe murderer LOL
They weren't banned to give Americans an advantage. That's ridiculous. They were banned to give MMA wider acceptance. You keep talking about "Americans this, Americans that". Do you even know how many countries are in America?

They weren't banned to give Americans an advantage. That's ridiculous. They were banned to give MMA wider acceptance. You keep talking about "Americans this, Americans that". Do you even know how many countries are in America?
So you think American fighters were really good with their kicks and knees back then?

In American version MMA you can curl up in the turtle position and there's really not much your opponant can do to you whereas in real MMA it's curtains

everybody knows BJJ and American wrestlers were the primary gyms of American mixed martial arts and both these groups passionately hated Soccer Kicks and knees to a downed opponent for obvious reasons.

the American wrestler wanted to be able to dig at his takedowns with complete impunity and the BJJ stylist wanted to scoot around on his tushy and get you to come down and play buttscootfujutsu

Naturally both these characters would get eaten alive in today's soccer kick MMA and I couldn't be happier to see Asian style MMA becoming more and more popular in the United States

Last edited:
So you think American fighters were really good with their kicks and knees back then?
The fact that they were banned to gain wider acceptance has nothing to do with anyone's skills. And you don't even know who's American, so the point you're trying to make is moot.

It's ridiculous to try to conflate head-butting fish hooking eye gouging and groin strikes with the same exact technique made illegal only because you have a knee on the ground
Harder to defend a knee to the head in a compromising position like being grounded. Thats the argument.

In American version MMA you can curl up in the turtle position and there's really not much your opponant can do to you whereas in real MMA it's curtains

everybody knows BJJ and American wrestlers were the primary gyms of American mixed martial arts and both these groups passionately hated Soccer Kicks and knees to a downed opponent for obvious reasons.

the American wrestler wanted to be able to dig at his takedowns with complete impunity and the BJJ stylist wanted to scoot around on his tushy and get you to come down and play buttscootfujutsu

Naturally both these characters would get eaten alive in today's soccer kick MMA and I couldn't be happier to see Asian style MMA becoming more and more popular in the United States

Most of the fan base will cling to the unified rules as if they were the word of god or some bullshit.

I think knees to the head of a downed opponent and kicks to the body of a downed opponent and the 12-6 elbows and up kicks should all be allowed.

The way the rules are now punish strikers with good takedowns.

Thats the best you can come up with?

Why make this thread when you're obviously not interested in any discussion?

I very much enjoy having an intelligent discussion about the difference between A knee that's landed from a standing position or a kneeling position

I just haven't talked about it in a while and haven't heard so much fear quite some time

Back