UFC must bring back knees to a grounded opponant!!!

KingGuerrilla

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been trying to explain to people why American MMA won't allow a knee to a grounded opponents head for many years and it just makes the us look like a bunch of mincy sissys. After the abortion that occurred with Yan vs Sterling I think we can all agree that it's time to take the training wheels off American MMA and put your big boy gloves on. Honestly I would love to see Soccer Kicks come back but I can understand why sphincters tighten over the valle tudo stomp!!!

Back in the nhb days we used to train and fight with the flying double Stomp and ax kick to a buttscootfujutsu guy and no one ever got hurt (bad) but I can see why this looks so scary to the American Insurance Corporation...most of the time it was just a way to wow the crowd and get a couple points before the end of a round because quite often you would miss and wind up skipping across your ass like a pebble but if you land it no matter what happened the rest of the fight people would think you were a god

ahhh, the good ol days

But for real at least bring back knees to the head on a grounded opponent... you can't tell me they hit any harder than a jumping knee anyway so what's the damn point?

Brock Lesnars not coming back guys...give it up!

"I've been trying to explain to people why American MMA won't allow a knee to a grounded opponents head for many years and it just makes the us look like a bunch of mincy sissys."

I couldn't care less either way, but just how does it make mma fighters look like sissies? In boxing and kickboxing all you have to do is turn your back to your opponent, and the ref runs in to stop the action. Floyd Mayweather made use of that bitch move against Conor. Probably the main reason those strikes to a downed opponent aren't allowed is state athletic commissions. Good luck getting them to agree, state by state, to what you propose. download (1).jpeg

Before they even bother with the knees or soccer kicks how about fix the scoring system. Those two moves won't change much but the scoring system is horrible.

Before they even bother with the knees or soccer kicks how about fix the scoring system. Those two moves won't change much but the scoring system is horrible.
Yeah the 10/9 is an abortion

I would totally go with a numeric wrestling style scoring system

Anytime you touch the fence you should lose one point though

Yeah the 10/9 is an abortion

I would totally go with a numeric wrestling style scoring system

Anytime you touch the fence you should lose one point though
I should be a zero point system. If you just move around and do nothing you get no points. Takendown point, submission attempt point, striking point point point....
You should have to earn the points.

Not really up to the UFC except for the occasional show in Macau or some other place not governed by a commission.

Banning knees to the head of a grounded opponent was baked into the Unified Rules from the very beginning (thanks, Gan McGee). It would take a lot to change it, but I agree it would make the sport better for the most part. So would removing the ban on 12-6 elbows, and defining exactly what is meant by "the back of the head."

I've been trying to explain to people why American MMA won't allow a knee to a grounded opponents head for many years and it just makes the us look like a bunch of mincy sissys. After the abortion that occurred with Yan vs Sterling I think we can all agree that it's time to take the training wheels off American MMA and put your big boy gloves on. Honestly I would love to see Soccer Kicks come back but I can understand why sphincters tighten over the valle tudo stomp!!!

Back in the nhb days we used to train and fight with the flying double Stomp and ax kick to a buttscootfujutsu guy and no one ever got hurt (bad) but I can see why this looks so scary to the American Insurance Corporation...most of the time it was just a way to wow the crowd and get a couple points before the end of a round because quite often you would miss and wind up skipping across your ass like a pebble but if you land it no matter what happened the rest of the fight people would think you were a god

ahhh, the good ol days

But for real at least bring back knees to the head on a grounded opponent... you can't tell me they hit any harder than a jumping knee anyway so what's the damn point?

Brock Lesnars not coming back guys...give it up!
A what now?

Not really up to the UFC except for the occasional show in Macau or some other place not governed by a commission.

Banning knees to the head of a grounded opponent was baked into the Unified Rules from the very beginning (thanks, Gan McGee). It would take a lot to change it, but I agree it would make the sport better for the most part. So would removing the ban on 12-6 elbows, and defining exactly what is meant by "the back of the head."
this post is an abortion

knees to downed opponent, soccer kicks, foot stomps. i want it all and i want it now. everything but eye pokes, groin shots, and shots to the back of the head goes.

That's why the early days of MMA were so much fun, and a little scary. There was no rules except no eye gouging and fish hooking. PRIDE didnt allow elbows, anything else, go crazy! I for one though like most of the rules now in place, except for the no kneeing to a grounded fighter rule. If a guy is flat on his back or stomach, I don't need the knees, but anytime else I am for Knees.

knees to downed opponent, soccer kicks, foot stomps. i want it all and i want it now. everything but eye pokes, groin shots, and shots to the back of the head goes.
Knees to a grounded opponent are such an integral part of the ground scramble that it actually changes the game in a profound way. Especially in a front headlock or cage pin situation it makes the escapes very different.

There's nothing on Earth that would convince me that knees from a clinch are any more dangerous then a standing head kick and they're so tactically important it's a crime not to include them

That's why the early days of MMA were so much fun, and a little scary. There was no rules except no eye gouging and fish hooking. PRIDE didnt allow elbows, anything else, go crazy! I for one though like most of the rules now in place, except for the no kneeing to a grounded fighter rule. If a guy is flat on his back or stomach, I don't need the knees, but anytime else I am for Knees.
Why not be able to knee a guy to the Head whos flat on his back or stomach?

"I've been trying to explain to people why American MMA won't allow a knee to a grounded opponents head for many years and it just makes the us look like a bunch of mincy sissys."

I couldn't care less either way, but just how does it make mma fighters look like sissies? In boxing and kickboxing all you have to do is turn your back to your opponent, and the ref runs in to stop the action. Floyd Mayweather made use of that bitch move against Conor. Probably the main reason those strikes to a downed opponent aren't allowed is state athletic commissions. Good luck getting them to agree, state by state, to what you propose. View attachment 852553
They definitely sweat the clinch too much in the sport of boxing and allow holding even though it's technically illegal

I remember the Evander Holyfield Mike Tyson fights where holding became such a problem mike got pissed and tried to bite Evander ear Off

My kickboxing coach was a super heavyweight world champion and he always said that you could be disqualified after you hold three times in the sport of boxing yet no one ever enforces it!

I don’t think we’ll ever see that happen. Knees on the ground and soccer kicks are some of the most devastating strikes one can throw. It was a struggle to get mma legalized and legitimized in the states. This was one of the compromises made to do so. I think it’s a pipe dream at this point.

I don’t think we’ll ever see that happen. Knees on the ground and soccer kicks are some of the most devastating strikes one can throw. It was a struggle to get mma legalized and legitimized in the states. This was one of the compromises made to do so. I think it’s a pipe dream at this point.

I was involved with mixed martial arts from the very beginning and suffered greatly in my career and personal life because of my association with that awful "cage fighting"
Even though I was a lifelong and classically trained martial artist (first black belt in Judo when I was a child) people just viewed me as a big strong guy who liked to fight so I can very much appreciate all the difficulty the sport had in gaining acceptance but I don't believe ground knees were banned for safety...
do you really believe it was a safety regulation and not designed to give a certain group of athletes a competitive advantage?

The UFC was desperate for American champions and it was clear that they were terrible at throwing and dealing with knees, complicate this by the only Americans being capable in the octagon coming from American scholastic wrestling programs and I can see why they didn't want anybody being able to knee Brock Lesnar in the dome as he fumbled for a takedown

Now that we're well past the days of acceptance I think we can allow the knee to the grounded opponent and we have a great history in UFC pride and one clearly showing the technique is no more dangerous than any other knee and its absence radically changes the game into this weird sissy version of MMA where a guy can get down on his hands and knees and be relatively safe

The gloves need Improvement but beyond that the sport would be perfect once we allowed knees and Soccer Kicks again... I wouldn't be averse to a high-quality type of shin InStep protector that reduced the emotions associated with the soccer kick

Last edited:
Back