Media UFC knockout of the year nominations exclude Josh Emmett

You've got a good point about the fan-friendliness of convulsions, but I think KO of the year should and traditionally does definitely include the significance and rankings. It's certianly more impressive when a fighter manages to KO someone who is highly ranked. We see more porous defence in the lower ranks, and we see less performance pressure.

All things being equal, it simply is more impressive to knock out a champion than a journeyman.
While I respect that opinion, I think that's an odd factor to consider. Shouldn't the person knocking out the champion at least be somewhat on par with the champion? It's not like a number 12 went in there and handed the champ his ass. One of the P4P greats landed a good shot in a come from behind victory. Makes a great case for comeback of the year, if not even fight or win of the year. But if you took a snip of the Izzy knockout, and a snip of the Emmett knockout and looked at them objectively, without the pomp and circumstance... which is the better KO?

Herb Dean wins with the peoples elbow.

Why is OMalley on there, it wasn't a KO, let alone a contender for KOTY. Same for Machachev.

Back