Media UFC knockout of the year nominations exclude Josh Emmett

The gravity of the fights stakes seems to be factored into their choices. The Emmet fight wasn't really super significant to the divisions landscape. Neither guy was in the title discussion before it, neither are they after. Not saying that takes away from how brutal the KO was, because yes on just the KO itself only type consideration Emmet probably takes it. But clearly ESPN is in cahoots with UFC to push the promotional narrative into the equation so they can prop up their center pieces, instead of an aging mid card guy ending up with the shine.

After watching a couple of these videos from the UFC I quickly came to the conclusion every choice is either gonna be Islam/Volkanovski 2, Pereira/Adesanya 2, Jones/Gane, or Schevchenko/Grasso 1. I feel like I watched the same video multiple times because those are the only fights it seems that they promote.

After watching a couple of these videos from the UFC I quickly came to the conclusion every choice is either gonna be Islam/Volkanovski 2, Pereira/Adesanya 2, Jones/Gane, or Schevchenko/Grasso 1. I feel like I watched the same video multiple times because those are the only fights it seems that they promote.

They had Jon Jones on the submissions of the year for that weak choke on Gane lol.

Tbf Edson was upcomming prospect and looked to be very marketable. Same could be said for Bonfim but he doesnt bring the same level of attention.
Both Josh Emmett and Bryce have a much higher profile than Edson Barboza did at the time. They are both top 10 fighters for starters. Barboza had 2 UFC fights and neither of them ended in finishes. He was a prelim level fighter. No one cared about being "marketable" back then. He got an awesome KO and that's what mattered. That's all that should matter.

Damn!

Justin is such a head-hunter. His follow-up shot was laser guided precise when shown in real time

Islam vs Justin in early 2024 has to happen

Both with KO of the year head-kick finishes for the sell too

Edit: would love to see Porier/Volk

Both Josh Emmett and Bryce have a much higher profile than Edson Barboza did at the time. They are both top 10 fighters for starters. Barboza had 2 UFC fights and neither of them ended in finishes. He was a prelim level fighter. No one cared about being "marketable" back then. He got an awesome KO and that's what mattered. That's all that should matter.
Im pretty sure they cared about being marketable. I md say of 2003 its been pretty damn important to them.

Just trying to think of reasons here. I agree it should be on the list.

guys, stop treating ESPN as some source that understands MMA or knows MMA. they know jack shit. we do not care, we are better than that. sherdog should open up their own polls and then we roll with that forever.

Wow. I thought a knock out had to be out cold. Don’t think Islams and especially omalleys should even count as a knockout

So dumb.
Emmet probably had KO of the year but Izzy’s was nice also

Number one bullshit.

k1lCaQz.gif

For some the significance of the KO plays a role in grading "KO of the year". The Emmett and Bonfim KOs are of low significance in regards to the upper tier of their divisions.

Especially the Bonfim one. Was cool stylistically sure but McKinney drops off a cliff every fight after round 1 and has been finished multiple times, much less impressive factoring that in.

I dunno, man. I hear you on the rankings significance aspect, but I think Emmet's KO of Mitchell has enough significance in that realm to be considered a KO of the year.

It was one of the nastiest, cleanest power punches we've seen in many years, let alone this year. It derailed the hypetrain behind Mitchell, and it definitely has serious ramifications for the top 5 of the FW rankings.

It's the clear KO of the year to me, but if not that, it's AT LEAST in the running. The fact the UFC doesn't acknowledge it has more to do with the fact that they recognize that Emmet is an unlikely factor in the near-term FW elite due to his age, and that it was one of their promotional darlings in Bryce who was on the receiving end of it.

Yet more promotion-first bullshit from the UFC.

I dunno, man. I hear you on the rankings significance aspect, but I think Emmet's KO of Mitchell has enough significance in that realm to be considered a KO of the year.

It was one of the nastiest, cleanest power punches we've seen in many years, let alone this year. It derailed the hypetrain behind Mitchell, and it definitely has serious ramifications for the top 5 of the FW rankings.

It's the clear KO of the year to me, but if not that, it's AT LEAST in the running. The fact the UFC doesn't acknowledge it has more to do with the fact that they recognize that Emmet is an unlikely factor in the near-term FW elite due to his age, and that it was one of their promotional darlings in Bryce who was on the receiving end of it.

Yet more promotion-first bullshit from the UFC.
I'm pretty sure this was an ESPN call. Welcome to the world of mainstream MMA. In the early 2000's, they'd use that seizure clip in every highlight reel, ever. But it's a bad look to garnering new, disney-friendly fans.

All that said, significance in weight class or title fight really shouldn't matter. KO of the year should be the best knockout. Not the most 'meaningful'.

I'm pretty sure this was an ESPN call. Welcome to the world of mainstream MMA. In the early 2000's, they'd use that seizure clip in every highlight reel, ever. But it's a bad look to garnering new, disney-friendly fans.

All that said, significance in weight class or title fight really shouldn't matter. KO of the year should be the best knockout. Not the most 'meaningful'.

You've got a good point about the fan-friendliness of convulsions, but I think KO of the year should and traditionally does definitely include the significance and rankings. It's certianly more impressive when a fighter manages to KO someone who is highly ranked. We see more porous defence in the lower ranks, and we see less performance pressure.

All things being equal, it simply is more impressive to knock out a champion than a journeyman.

Back