Media UFC knockout of the year nominations exclude Josh Emmett

Doesn't really explain why a TKO was nominated. Only reason I can think of is they were trying to appeal to zoomers on social media.
Probably they're trying to raise O'Malley's profile so that he can bring in more PPV $$$

That's ridiculous. The Emmett KO was one of the best one punch KOs ever.

No it wasn't. For one, his opponent trains to get hit and is D-tier level at best. Secondly, the KO happened in the manlet division, if that little goblin threw that punch at WW or MW, the opponent wouldn't even close their eye and just brush it off <Lmaoo>

Laughing at O'Malley's KO... come on... it was a good TKO, but that's it

Gaethje wins, imo.
It was cleaner than Islam's
Israel's had that celebration, but the KO wasn't something special
Emmett should have been on that list

No it wasn't. For one, his opponent trains to get hit and is D-tier level at best. Secondly, the KO happened in the manlet division, if that little goblin threw that punch at WW or MW, the opponent wouldn't even close their eye and just brush it off <Lmaoo>
Number 6, the hardest hitter at 145 ever seen, flatlined the number 10 guy. I would say that has relevance in the division.

Probably didn't wanna show off the short notice replacement KTFO that ended in major neurological damage and a full grand mal seizure lol

Bad optics

With DC and Rogan sort of weirdly gloating that the guy was shaking. Assholes sounded like Joe Pesci for a moment there. Frankie was he shaking!?

They’re using it as a tool to hype one of their PPV draws. They’re not actually going off popular demand or which is actually correct, which would be Josh Emmett. They could care less about Josh Emmett nowadays.

UFC can’t do anything without using it as a business opportunity.

This shouldn't matter considering Edson Barboza v Terry Etim was the consensus knockout of the year in 2012 and neither of them were even ranked. There are other examples as well. Doesn't really explain why a TKO was nominated. Only reason I can think of is they were trying to appeal to zoomers on social media.
Tbf Edson was upcomming prospect and looked to be very marketable. Same could be said for Bonfim but he doesnt bring the same level of attention.

This shouldn't matter considering Edson Barboza v Terry Etim was the consensus knockout of the year in 2012 and neither of them were even ranked. There are other examples as well. Doesn't really explain why a TKO was nominated. Only reason I can think of is they were trying to appeal to zoomers on social media.
I agree that it shouldn't matter much. It should be what breaks a tie when two KO's are close in quality or rarity.

For example, last years big debate came down between leon and chandler. I have to go with chandler personally, because in terms of match up level they are close (title fight compared to a top 10 fight) Leons kick IMO pretty run of the mill head kick technique wise. Well executed simple attack, where as Chandlers was a special front kick you're not going to see a kick like that often. Same reason why Edsons KO of etim was so special. We RARELY see kicks of that speed and velocity that score knock outs. Even Gaethje was able to score a similar KO to leons head kick and Thats the first time i can even recall him ever throwing a head kick.

I only recall that happening one other time, at UFC 6? The fight with Tank Abbot vs. the Hawaiian Bone breaker. Tank was mocking him.
When he knocked out Steve Nelmark..he mocked him to. Tank had some crazy power and lead in those fists.

So is it KO of the year or is it "KO of the year among perceived popular fighters"?

WTF is O'malley over Sterling doing there?

Time to look forward to 2024’s award that’s gonna go to Vera’s massive knock out of OMalley.
In case it wasn’t obvious by the fact they snuck in an early stoppage TKO among all these other stone cold KOs… no they won’t do that. OMalley is the marketing favorite meaning he gets on the list for winning but won’t be for losing

Tbf Edson was upcomming prospect and looked to be very marketable. Same could be said for Bonfim but he doesnt bring the same level of attention.
OK? Still doesn't explain this garbage decision.

For some the significance of the KO plays a role in grading "KO of the year". The Emmett and Bonfim KOs are of low significance in regards to the upper tier of their divisions.

Especially the Bonfim one. Was cool stylistically sure but McKinney drops off a cliff every fight after round 1 and has been finished multiple times, much less impressive factoring that in.
In football there's the Puskas award for the best goal of the year. It's a flat out BEST goal of the year, and altho I've disagreed with some of the decisions at times, it pretty regularly goes to non-elite tier players in lower leagues.

By the same measure, in no way is the O'Malley/Aljo KO BETTER than Emmett/Mitchell. More significant obviously, but in no way better.

OK? Still doesn't explain this garbage decision.
"Money changes everything"
Basically like everyone else said already. Edson, O'Malley = money = extra promoting.
Josh Emmet = they dont believe he will make them money=no promotion.

It's how the business runs. If I were them Id make video longer and include Josh. It's a great KO.

Back