PBP UFC Fight Night 237 - Moreno vs. Royval 2 Official PBP Discussion: Sat. 2/24 at 7pm ET

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
107471-3929422.png

So close... I should have known one of the favorites would shit the bed.

I saw Moreno not move much, but guard a lot. I saw trading advantage with shots being thrown back and forth, with Royval taking the volume easy, but putting no real damage on since he mostly attacked that guard, while Moreno hit fewer but harder shots and had Royval backing up with pretty much every push forward. I also cited all 3 judges giving Moreno round 5, as well as Bloody Elbow, MMA Mania, MMA Junkie, Ryan Frederick, Scott Fontana, & Sean Sheehan out of the media members that actual give round by round instead of full fight scores, as well as a 60-40 spread on that round by fan votes, so "getting tuned up" and scoring that round as an "easy" victory are, again, categorically wrong

I feel you may be wrong on this one bro. Perhaps a bit emotionally involved. But zero derogatory stuff coming from me, as you are generally fair, and I appreciate you. May we meet in the middle for many more war debates. 🙏

For what it's worth, I saw the same thing. I had it 48-47 Moreno with him taking the first two rounds and the fifth. That said, I think Round 5 was the swing round that legitimately could have gone either way depending on what one was seeing and valuing. To me, however, it looked like a lot of what Royval was putting out there was "empty" volume that got absorbed by Moreno's guard and even what got through was relatively light/grazing jabs. Meanwhile, Moreno would counter on in the in-betweens with heavy calf kicks and punches which looked more impactful and cleaner than anything Raw Dawg landed across the five minutes. That was just enough for Moreno to edge it on my card watching it live... but again, very close and I can see the arguments for Royval taking it. I don't consider it a robbery by any means.

Not really sure I can be considered to be "emotionally invested" as I couldn't care less about either of these fighters in regards to the current title picture and I couldn't get hyped about this rematch at all. I personally lost all interest after Albazi fell out.

Last edited:
I dont think I'm there. I just finished the Skypiea Arc and now Luffy and the gang have descended back to Earth but landed in the Marine stronghold Lake. Everyone is scattered and hiding so they can't be found and captured. It's pretty funny so far after an intense battle that played out for about 40+ episodes with the god eneru up on cloud island. I am eagerly anticipating another arc on the horizon where Luffy and gang get into another epic battle.

Thanks man, glad I bring some positive energy to you.
Always good finding another likeminded individual.
Cheers!

*Maybe you know about my username then? Byakuya is my favorite character in all of anime lol*
the eneru arc was goood for sure. my favorite part before that was the final crocodile battle, complete with the town crumbling, and that epic classical music it was all sync'd too. perfectly. i won't say anything, except that its getting great again and what a good story.

cheers bro! i haven't checked out too much bleach, but i know its another top dog. i need to check it out. so many to watch and catch up on. currently finishing vinland saga while juggling fist of the north star and countless others. ossssss

I saw Moreno not move much, but guard a lot. I saw trading advantage with shots being thrown back and forth, with Royval taking the volume easy, but putting no real damage on since he mostly attacked that guard, while Moreno hit fewer but harder shots and had Royval backing up with pretty much every push forward. I also cited all 3 judges giving Moreno round 5, as well as Bloody Elbow, MMA Mania, MMA Junkie, Ryan Frederick, Scott Fontana, & Sean Sheehan out of the media members that actual give round by round instead of full fight scores, as well as a 60-40 spread on that round by fan votes, so "getting tuned up" and scoring that round as an "easy" victory are, again, categorically wrong

i thought the 5th was the easiest round to score.. Moreno hit him with the harder shots and dictated where the fight took place... he had octagon control. I thought it was a clear 3-2 victory.. I also thought 28% was very generous, i would say it was closer to 15%. Out of the 40 hardest shots landed, 38 of them was by moreno... Not surprised though by the decision

Thought Moreno took the 5th. Plenty of close rounds though depending on if you value more strikes or harder strikes. Could've gone either way imo.

The UFC’s return to Mexico was a largely positive event, but a brawl in the crowd during Saturday’s card briefly took attention away from those proceedings. However, White considers that to be an occurrence unique to this particular locale.

“That never happens. That literally never happens. It happened here in Mexico City,” White said. “The crazy thing about that fight, it felt like it kept going forever, so I ran over there and I was watching it. Nobody stopped it. I was waiting for security to come in…they just let them go til it was over.

“That’s one of the craziest things I’ve ever seen. I don’t think it’s a bad look for the UFC. It happened, and that was the end of that. I think after everybody else saw that s—t, nobody else wanted to try that again. No security. The fight just went on until the fight was over. I’ve never seen any s—t like that in my life.”

Fight Facts is a breakdown of all of the interesting information and Octagon oddities on every card, with some puns, references and portmanteaus to keep things fun. These deep stat dives delve into the numbers, providing historical context and telling the stories behind those numbers.

TOTAL NUMBER OF UFC FIGHTS: 7,539
TOTAL NUMBER OF UFC EVENTS: 680

The Ultimate Fighting Championship touched down in Mexico City for the first time in ages, bringing with it a full slate of Mexican-born competitors against foreign adversaries. Although it was close, the local fighters beat their distant counterparts six wins to four at night’s end. UFC Fight Night 237 featured a rare main encounter between two men sharing a name, a comeback submission in the record books and a flyweight whose career lows keep getting lower.

Viva Mexico Again: This event in the Mexico City Arena marked the first jaunt to the nation south of the border since September 2019’s UFC Fight Night 159 card, where Yair Rodriguez, Brandon Moreno and Claudio Puelles all competed as well. At that time, six of the 24 fighters on this card were on the UFC roster.

Brand on Brandon Violence 2: Electric Boogaloo: UFC Fight Night 237 with Brandon Moreno vs. Brandon Royval is the fourth show in company history where the headliners shared the same given name. UFC Fight Night 25 in 2011 featured Jake Shields vs. Jake Ellenberger, UFC Fight Night 96 in 2016 featured John Lineker vs. John Dodson and UFC on ESPN 39 in 2022 featured Rafael Fiziev vs. Rafael dos Anjos.

Something Seemed Amiss: After the card, four results came in as split decisions. This tally is one shy of the record held by UFC Fight Night 79 as well as UFC 222 and UFC 274.

Easy Job for Matchmakers: Three bouts on the lineup came as rematches: Royval vs. Moreno 2, Brian Ortega vs. Rodriguez 2 and Edgar Chairez vs. Daniel da Silva 2. Of the two previous fights with victors, the other fighters exacted revenge at this event.

As Wild and Crazy as Ever: Royval outlasted Moreno throughout five rounds to pick up the split call. The win via decision is the third of his career, and his finish rate sits at 81% as a result.

He Likes It Raw: After 25 minutes of combat, Royval officially threw 510 significant strikes, landing 145. “Raw Dawg” clocks in with the fourth-highest attempted sig. strike total of any single UFC fight, but well behind leader Max Holloway’s 744 against Calvin Kattar in 2021.

Time for Max vs. Ortega 2: In the third round, Ortega pulled off the upset and landed an arm-triangle choke on Rodriguez. “T-City” now celebrates five victories in Round 3 as a UFC fighter, which puts him two behind Max Holloway for the most of any competitor below 155 pounds.

A Record in Reach: The submission was Ortega’s fourth on the roster, and he is tied for the second-most with multiple other featherweights. Charles Oliveira’s six stand above the pack.

Max in His Way Again: Ortega has recorded seven stoppages as a 145-pounder in the UFC. Holloway also holds that record, with 11, but Ortega is tied with Ricardo Lamas for the second-highest total in the division.

Gold Plated: Throwing down for three rounds, Daniel Zellhuber outslugged Francisco Prado to pick up the decision and “Fight of the Night” honors. “Golden Boy” pushed Prado to the scorecards for the second time in the latter’s career.

Manuel Read the Manual: Manuel Torres wrangled Chris Duncan with a rear-naked choke to boost his finish rate to 93% as a pro. The Chihuahua, Mexico, native holds an equal number of knockouts to submissions, and they have all taken place in the first round.

He’s Saying ‘Boocao’: Dropping a split decision to Jesus Santos Aguilar, Mateus Mendonca suffered his third straight defeat. “Bocao” came to the Octagon at 10-0 with seven finishes in the first round, only to fall short in the UFC on a trio of occasions.

Hit Him with a Chair: Chairez strangled da Silva with a first-round triangle choke to keep his 100% finish rate intact. Eight of his 11 victories have taken place in the first round.

Bad Looks: For the fifth time in UFC history, a match has taken place where both fighters missed weight. Chairez came in five pounds heavy, while da Silva missed the flyweight cap by a pound. Unlike the previous four occasions, Chairez weighed significantly more than his foe and prevailed.

Noodles All the Way Down: After six walks to the Octagon, da Silva has still not prevailed. His 0-5 record with a no contest ties “Miojo” with Pat Healy and Jesse Ronson for the most appearances without winning in the UFC—John Alessio also lost five times without ever earning a win in his UFC tenure.

Competition Up, Finishes Down: From 2014 to 2019, Fares Ziam worked his way to the UFC by recording 10 wins with nine finishes. Since getting signed, all five of his wins in the promotion have come by decision following his split call over Puelles.

Always Close: Via split decision, Felipe dos Santos edged Victor Altamirano. The former has gone to decision in his last four fights, while “El Magnifico” has heard the final bell in six of his last seven.

Brittle Evening: To start the evening, Erik Silva succumbed to a leg injury 44 seconds into his encounter with Muhammadjon Naimov. While the sixth overall for a curtain jerker, Silva’s injury is the first to a fighter’s leg to start a UFC event.

Never Say Never Again: Coming into UFC Fight Night 237, five different competitors had never dropped consecutive bouts (Rodriguez, Cristian Quinonez, Puelles, Altamirano and Silva), Duncan had never been submitted (12 fights) and Sam Hughes had never competed outside the U.S. (13 fights).

Nothing Wrong with Winning Over the Fans: While Royval has picked “Shimmy Shimmy Ya” by Ol’ Dirty Bastard as his walkout tune on seven previous occasions, he threw red meat to the hostile crowd by first opening with “El Ray” by Mexican icon Vicente Fernandez before ODB played. Royval prevailed.

No More Ballads: Two fighters selected songs with “El Corrido” in the title: Moreno and Rodriguez. Moreno chose his standard of “El Corrido del Bebe Asesino” by Ariel Macias, while Rodriguez went with his usual “El Corrido Del Chihuahua” by Los Rieleros Del Norte. Both men fell short at night’s end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back