PBP UFC Fight Night 237 - Moreno vs. Royval 2 Official PBP Discussion: Sat. 2/24 at 7pm ET

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bro how'd they sit him on such a tiny chair LMAO
ESPN app doesn't allow screenshot, that should be illegal.

Interesting the judges only unanimously agreed on the last 2 rounds. 4 for Royval, 5 for Moreno. 4th isn’t being argued but a lot of people gave Royval the decision based off the 5th.

All the salty people.... someone should write a sad song about them
It's not salt. It's eyes.

I had Royval winning and really impressing. And I noted Morenos poorer showing in another post. So the bias isn't on this side of the fence

But I can also look at the action and be like "I actually know what I'm seeing." Try it some time.

damn im at the part in onepiece where luffy and the gang are getting the navy called on them. at that island with the giants. its really good shit too. fo sho bro, i always see your AV and it brings a smile to my face.
I dont think I'm there. I just finished the Skypiea Arc and now Luffy and the gang have descended back to Earth but landed in the Marine stronghold Lake. Everyone is scattered and hiding so they can't be found and captured. It's pretty funny so far after an intense battle that played out for about 40+ episodes with the god eneru up on cloud island. I am eagerly anticipating another arc on the horizon where Luffy and gang get into another epic battle.

Thanks man, glad I bring some positive energy to you.
Always good finding another likeminded individual.
Cheers!

*Maybe you know about my username then? Byakuya is my favorite character in all of anime lol*

It's not salt. It's eyes.

I had Royval winning and really impressing. And I noted Morenos poorer showing in another post. So the bias isn't on this side of the fence

But I can also look at the action and be like "I actually know what I'm seeing." Try it some time.
Yeah? What'd you see?

Like, what are you talking about?

Brandon Royval now has a signature victory to which he can point in the Ultimate Fighting Championship flyweight division.

Rapid-fire combinations and sheer volume carried the Factory X export to a split decision over two-time champion Brandon Moreno, as their rematch headlined UFC Fight Night 237 on Saturday at Arena CDMX on Saturday in Mexico City. Judge Junichiro Kamijo saw it 49-46 for Moreno, while Michael Bell and Chris Lee scored it 48-47 for Royval.

A tepid first round gave way to a series of momentum shifts over the ensuing 20 minutes. Moreno (21-8-2, 9-5-2 UFC) connected with the more impactful blows—he punctuated many of his combinations with thudding leg kicks—but too often settled for one shot at a time. A short-notice substitution for Amir Albazi, Royval (16-7, 6-3 UFC) slowly but surely made his case, throwing three, four and sometimes five punches at a time. More often than not, he kept Moreno at bay with a pesky jab and multiple strikes behind hit. Moreno engaged the ex-Legacy Fighting Alliance champion in the clinch in the fifth round but failed to stay active enough to avoid restarts from referee Herb Dean. With that, his undoing was complete.

Royval, who evened his head-to-head series with “The Assassin Baby” at 1-1, has won four of his last five fights.

Meanwhile, former Resurrection Fighting Alliance champion Brian Ortega put away “The Ultimate Fighter Latin America” Season 1 winner Yair Rodriguez with an arm-triangle choke in the third round of their featherweight co-main event rematch. In his first appearance since a shoulder injury resulted in a technical knockout loss to “El Pantera” at UFC on ABC in July 2022, Ortega (16-3, 8-3 UFC) slammed the door 58 seconds into Round 3.

Related » UFC Mexico Round-by-Round Scoring

Rodriguez (19-5, 10-4 UFC) nearly finished it on multiple occasions in the first round, where he sat down the Rener Gracie protégé with a left hook, followed up with punches and assaulted him with ferocious ground-and-pound. Ortega withstood the attack and even managed to mount his counterpart near the end of the period. He further turned the tide in his favor in Round 2, where he executed a takedown and opened a cut under Rodriguez’s right eye with an elbow strike from the top. Ortega never again took his foot off the gas. He bulled his way into the clinch in the third round, secured a trip takedown, climbed to mount and framed the arm-triangle choke. For Rodriguez, there was no escape.

The submission was Ortega’s first since he dispatched Cub Swanson with a guillotine choke at UFC Fight Night 123 on Dec. 9, 2017.

Further down the card, Xtreme Couture’s Daniel Zellhuber outstruck former Samurai Fight House champion Francisco Prado to a unanimous verdict in their three-round lightweight attraction. Zellhuber (15-1, 3-1 UFC) swept the scorecards with 29-28, 29-28 and 30-27 marks from the cageside judges.

Prado (12-2, 1-2 UFC) crashed forward with hooks from both hands and heavy leg kicks in the first round but could not consistently navigate the eight-inch reach disadvantage with which he was presented. Zellhuber turned to his jab in the middle stanza, resulting in significant damage to his adversary’s nose and right eye. By the start of Round 3, vision had become an issue for Prado. Zellhuber continued to mark his territory with the jab, all while mixing in a front kick to the face, a few check hooks and an uppercut that nearly lifted the 21-year-old Argentinian off his feet.

Zellhuber, 24, has rattled off three straight victories.

Elsewhere, Entram Gym prospect Yazmin Jauregui rebounded from a 20-second technical knockout loss to Denise Gomes at UFC 290 in July with a one-sided unanimous decision over Sam Hughes in a three-round women’s strawweight feature. All three members of the cageside judiciary struck 30-27 scorecards for Jauregui (11-1, 3-1 UFC).

Related » UFC Fight Night 237 Prelims: Barcelos Choke Stuns Quinonez

Hughes (8-6, 3-5 UFC) was simply outgunned. Jauregui blasted the Fortis MMA rep with crisp combinations, a persistent jab and effective leg kicks. All the while, airtight takedown defense kept her upright and added to Hughes’ frustration. Jauregui circled on the outside, found the mark with two-, three- and four-punch combinations and piled up points as time ticked way. A cut across the bridge of Hughes’ provided the physical evidence of her opponent’s dominance.

The 31-year-old Hughes has lost two of her past three bouts.

Finally, explosive Dana White’s Contender Series graduate Manuel Torres disposed of American Top Team’s Chris Duncan with a rear-naked choke in the first round of their lightweight appetizer. Torres (15-2, 3-0 UFC) drew the curtain 1:46 into Round 1, extending his run of consecutive victories to six.

Duncan (11-2, 2-1 UFC) wobbled “El Loco” with a counter right hand during their opening exchange but chose to close the distance in pursuit of a takedown. Torres regained his bearings, threatened with a guillotine choke and eventually grounded the Scotsman twice. From there, he progressed to the back, snaked his arms in place for the choke and let his vice-like squeeze do the rest.

It was the 14th first-round finish of Torres’ career.

Continue Reading » UFC Fight Night 237 Prelims: Chairez Triangle Stops Da Silva

Yeah? What'd you see?

Like, what are you talking about?
I saw Moreno not move much, but guard a lot. I saw trading advantage with shots being thrown back and forth, with Royval taking the volume easy, but putting no real damage on since he mostly attacked that guard, while Moreno hit fewer but harder shots and had Royval backing up with pretty much every push forward. I also cited all 3 judges giving Moreno round 5, as well as Bloody Elbow, MMA Mania, MMA Junkie, Ryan Frederick, Scott Fontana, & Sean Sheehan out of the media members that actual give round by round instead of full fight scores, as well as a 60-40 spread on that round by fan votes, so "getting tuned up" and scoring that round as an "easy" victory are, again, categorically wrong

I saw Moreno not move much, but guard a lot. I saw trading advantage with shots being thrown back and forth, with Royval taking the volume easy, but putting no real damage on since he mostly attacked that guard, while Moreno hit fewer but harder shots and had Royval backing up with pretty much every push forward. I also cited all 3 judges giving Moreno round 5, as well as Bloody Elbow, MMA Mania, MMA Junkie, Ryan Frederick, Scott Fontana, & Sean Sheehan out of the media members that actual give round by round instead of full fight scores, as well as a 60-40 spread on that round by fan votes, so "getting tuned up" and scoring that round as an "easy" victory are, again, categorically wrong
I feel you may be wrong on this one bro. Perhaps a bit emotionally involved. But zero derogatory stuff coming from me, as you are generally fair, and I appreciate you. May we meet in the middle for many more war debates. 🙏

I feel you may be wrong on this one bro. Perhaps a bit emotionally involved. But zero derogatory stuff coming from me, as you are generally fair, and I appreciate you. May we meet in the middle for many more war debates. 🙏
Haha You're too good for us, Arm. You ought to unload both barrels on this kid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back