UFC Asked Nicco Montano to Dress Like Pocahontas to Highlight Her Native American Heritage

Wow, so original UFC

Jessica-Andrade.png
I get where youre coming from but shes brazilian...not the same thing

watch-out-we-got-a-bad-ass-over-here.jpg

Lol who the hell is even offended?
sounds like she is to some extent as well as a few of the SJW around here

Nicco Montaño is Navajo. Traditional dress for a Navajo woman is way different than buckskin and warpaint — more like velvet and turquoise:

View attachment 432381
while yes the navajo did learn to weave thread before most other native american tribes....they certainly werent cranking out dresses like that with collars and such lol ((before european influence))

the Apache women were known to have worn buckskin dresses, the Apache and Navajo were close neighbouring tribes, its not out of the question that navajo women could also have worn buckskin....what they are asking isnt some completely off the hook thing, she could dress up like "pocahontas" and still give it a navajo flavour, IF she wanted to lol

Is she actually native, or is she like Elizabeth Warren native?

UFC are just trying to help Nicco make millions. If she wants to leave that money on the table because of this thing you earthlings call 'pride' then that's up to her.

If she knew better though she'd defeat Shevchenko then go full T.Hawk in the postfight interview.

(I would have said Valentina would make the perfect villain there due to her accent, but actually it'd be better if she reeinacted that scene with Dana 'It's good to be' White as Bison).

What a great idea by the ufc. Wow

They should make her adopt the nickname, Stands With A Fist

Doesn't she do that anyway, what's the big deal

Cejudo used to come dressed as a Mayan witch doctor or something, Mayhem came as dressed as a slipknot member, Tatanka from WWF dressed as an Indian all the time

UFC probably couldn't find any buckskin with the Reebok logo on it; that's why they gave up on the idea.

Displaying the traditional garb of her tribe is completely Montano's decision. If she doesn't want to do it, the UFC should fuck off. I know that when she won the title, her tribe held a parade/celebration....but the UFC didn't really report on it. So, I wonder why they're so interested in her heritage now?

Jarl

Nicco is far too authentic to fall for some PR man's version of indigenous culture

It's actually really good and exactly what UFC should be doing. People always complain that the UFC doesn't market/promote them, and this is a clear example of UFC trying to promote Nicco.

All the biggest stars are unique and have an angle and identity. You can summarize them in a couple words. The best identity is raw/real, but you can always amplify/play up who you are.

GSP - Came out fighting in his karate GI, Canadian hero
BJ - Hawaii
Lesnar - Physical freak
Rampage - Chains / Howl / Ghetto
Conor - Irish + Untouchable Aura
Khabib - Afro, Crazy Russian, Unbeatable

etc etc

LOL!! Lesnar - physical freak

Is that an ethnic identity?

Marketing geniuses at WME are so ahead of the curve. It only seems lazy and ignorant, it’s really groundbreaking.

P.S. This is #1 bullsh:t

Kinda silly card to play honestly. I guess it may have some impact to a small segment of fans but I don't really see it.

Back