UFC Asked Nicco Montano to Dress Like Pocahontas to Highlight Her Native American Heritage

It's actually really good and exactly what UFC should be doing. People always complain that the UFC doesn't market/promote them, and this is a clear example of UFC trying to promote Nicco.

All the biggest stars are unique and have an angle and identity. You can summarize them in a couple words. The best identity is raw/real, but you can always amplify/play up who you are.

GSP - Came out fighting in his karate GI, Canadian hero
BJ - Hawaii
Lesnar - Physical freak
Rampage - Chains / Howl / Ghetto
Conor - Irish + Untouchable Aura
Khabib - Afro, Crazy Russian, Unbeatable

etc etc

Nicco Montaño is Navajo. Traditional dress for a Navajo woman is way different than buckskin and warpaint — more like velvet and turquoise:

reid_1.jpg

Nicco Montaño is Navajo. Traditional dress for a Navajo woman is way different than buckskin and warpaint — more like velvet and turquoise:

View attachment 432381

Yeah, that's why I said keep it raw/real to her identity. Instead of saying "fuck off UFC", she should work with them to create her angle and identity.

I always said Stipe could have been a huge star if he even worked the tiniest bit with the UFC. No need to create a fake persona or be someone you are not. Just need to build your real identity out. He should have come out in his firefighting gear to fights and played up the "down to earth midwest american man" angle. Similar to a Randy Couture.

Big deal. They made Cain Velasquez learn Spanish.

Did they actually use those words? Did she say they used those words or is article author articulating it that way? I bet it's more along the lines that they asked her to hilight her NA heritage.

I for one think it'd be cool. But if they said it in those words it's pretty shitty. I'm thinking either she just put it that way or more likely a click bait title by douche trying to get more clicks.

Yeah, that's why I said keep it raw/real to her identity. Instead of saying "fuck off UFC", she should work with them to create her angle and identity.

I always said Stipe could have been a huge star if he even worked the tiniest bit with the UFC. No need to create a fake persona or be someone you are not. Just need to build your real identity out. He should have come out in his firefighting gear to fights and played up the "down to earth midwest american man" angle. Similar to a Randy Couture.
Truth. UFC heavy weight and firefighter? People would flock to him in droves if he helped push that. People respect a man with working class ideals.

Didn't Bellator do something like this with Nam Phan even though he was born in the US?

she'll get more attention if she wears a pushup bra and a tight pants

method=get&s=cody-mckenzie-12-06-10-11-43-14-524.jpg

Didn't Bellator do something like this with Nam Phan even though he was born in the US?
Haha yep, even put subtitles on him when he speaks perfect english. Such a wanker move on their part..

There is high possibility she gonna lose, so maybe not good idea to do it before fight, but after why not.

If they want fighters to show individuality and possibly rep their heritage, they shouldn't have gotten those retarded Reebok kits.

Truth. UFC heavy weight and firefighter? People would flock to him in droves if he helped push that. People respect a man with working class ideals.

Yep. It is also why so many fighters are failing to have promotional success. They look at Conor who is the biggest star and just try to copy him. It comes off as insincere and doesn't resonate with anyone.

Much like comedy, identities are best when rooted in truth. Fighters need to find their angle based on their own attributes. Nationalism has always been the easiest one for fighting. Think of Bisping/UK, Hunt/AUS, Conor/IRELAND, GSP/CANADA, etc etc

There is so much more you can do though. If I was running the UFC, or promoting fighters, I would be heavily investing in building out a fighters identity angle, along with how they approach media and do interviews. There is literally nothing worse than winning a big fight and having all eyes on you in the cage on the mic and then you say "i love god, I'll fight whoever is next"

Even worse is when fighters put zero effort into promoting themselves and then complain about how much they get paid.

I've read a lot of articles and heard a lot of his interviews—and trust me, him being a firefighter and a Midwest boy is usually put front and center.

But I'm not sure that the UFC is all that interested in that angle. Schaub and others have claimed that Dana in particular doesn't like notable fighters to have other jobs. And the UFC's current preferred flavor seems to be for brash trashtalking badboys, not salt-of-the-earth. (Unless you're really absurdly muscled or pretty, then you can get away with being sweet as pie.)

thats some StreetFighter 2 level shit .highly approve

GSP - Came out fighting in his karate GI, Canadian hero
BJ - Hawaii
Lesnar - Physical freak
Rampage - Chains / Howl / Ghetto
Conor - Irish + Untouchable Aura
Khabib - Afro, Crazy Russian, Unbeatable

etc etc

for her to dress up like pocahontas is more like -

gsp -

georges and firas dress as terence and philip

south-park-s12e04c06-im-not-your-friend-guy-16x9.jpg

bj -

hawaiian skirt, eating a human arm as he walks out

fiji-cooking-pot1.jpg

brock -

charges out in a rage, slamming bottles of test

The-Real-Cycles-of-Bodybuilders.jpg

conor -

fooken leprechaun drinking guinness and claiming welfare

wpid-screenshot_2015-03-13-11-32-59-1.png

khabib -

mankini

gallery-1511277358-borat-mankini-sacah-baron-cohen.jpg

How soon before Colby Covington is dressed like this?

70307-Plus-Size-Pilgrim-Man-Costume-large.jpg

for her to dress up like pocahontas is more like -

gsp -

georges and firas dress as terence and philip

south-park-s12e04c06-im-not-your-friend-guy-16x9.jpg

bj -

hawaiian skirt, eating a human arm as he walks out

fiji-cooking-pot1.jpg

brock -

charges out in a rage, slamming bottles of test

The-Real-Cycles-of-Bodybuilders.jpg

conor -

fooken leprechaun drinking guinness and claiming welfare

wpid-screenshot_2015-03-13-11-32-59-1.png

khabib -

mankini

gallery-1511277358-borat-mankini-sacah-baron-cohen.jpg

Yeah. That is why I said it should be real/raw. Find the angle based on your real identity and then augment it to resonate with the target market.

Conor comes out with the Irish flag and Irish music and has a strong Irish accent etc. He doesn't pretend to be a caricature. Same way Nicco needs to approach it. She needs to find the angle and find ways to implement it.

It is an identity, not a costume. This is why all the Conor copycats are failing to resonate with fans.

Back