• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PBP UFC 303 Pereira vs. Prochazka 2 Main Card PBP Discussion: Sat. 6/29 at 10pm ET

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@Jackonfire I know you are a MMA vet and have seen it all, but that must have been your favorite in-octagon staredown ever in UFC.. thats my favorite, never seen one last so long like that inside the octagon.

Alex has such intense eyes, no emotion in his eyes. I would love to see a long staredown with Pereira and Cro Cop or Alexander Emelianenko.. that would be must watch. We'd probably get a couple of hours without a single blink lol :D
Poatan's stare down is so intense and ice cold I would probably tap out before Buffer could yell my name.

Poatan's stare down is so intense and ice cold I would probably tap out before Buffer could yell my name.
Hahaha same :D :D . I was saying earlier that no one has landed an eye poke on him yet.. I really want to see what happens if someone lands an eye poke on him lol, his eyes are stone. We've seen the nut shot from Hill land on Alex and he didn't care, wanted the ref to get out of the way lol

A lot went into the making of the eventual matchup for the co-main event at UFC 303.

Khalil Rountree and Jamahal Hill were the originally scheduled co-main event for UFC 303 at the T-Mobile Arena on Saturday before Rountree was forced out due to a failed drug test. Carlos Ulberg stepped in to replace Rountree but that matchup was eventually scrapped entirely when both Hill and Ulberg withdrew from the card. Eventually, Diego Lopes vs. Brian Ortega was booked as the featherweight co-main event. However, Lopes agreed to lightweight matchup against Ortega when he learned that “T-City” wouldn’t be able make the weight cut.

However, it was announced during the UFC 303 broadcast that the card was to have a new co-main event, as a fever forced Ortega out of the fight. Dan Ige, who trains in Las Vegas at Xtreme Couture, stepped in to replace Ortega on a few hours’ notice. And Lopes accepted the fight at a 165-pound catchweight.

Jeff Mullen, executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, explained how the last-minute booking was put together. Ige was also medically cleared to fight in Nevada from his first-round knockout win over Andre Fili at the Apex in Las Vegas in February. “50K” was also in fighting shape as he was preparing for a scheduled UFC Fight Night co-headliner clash against Jose Mariscal on July 20.

Brian Ortega was medically unable to compete today. So, they immediately started looking for opponents and fortunately Dan Ige, who the 14th-ranked contender, is right here in town,” Mullen told ESPN. “He was already licensed, he fought here in February, won by first round knockout. So, we already had all of his medicals, all of his requirements completed. So, he was available, they made the fight where he’s ranked 14th and Diego is ranked 15th, so it’s a perfect matchup. Perfectly approvable matchup.

“And again, we had everything. I checked with our attorneys, make sure everything’s in order. He weighed in [Saturday]. He’s gonna have a pre-fight physical today. And everything is in order. Plus, he was already training for a fight on July 20. So, he was prepared and ready to go. First thing I did when they proposed this was, I talked to his trainer Eric Nicksick, and I said, ‘Is he ready?’ And he [Nicksick] said, ‘Yeah sure, he is ready to fight tonight.’”

Mullen also noted that this wasn’t completely unprecedented in the promotion’s history. Junior Tafa had replaced his brother Justin Tafa on one day’s notice against Marcos Rogerio de Lima at UFC 298 in Anaheim, California, this past February.

“There was a similar situation in Anaheim, California,” he said. “One of the Tafa brothers stepped in for the other one on the day of the fight when there was an injury.”

Lopes survived a third round scare from Ige to earn a grueling unanimous decision win. Despite the loss, Ige is glad to have forever etched his name in the history books by stepping up under the conditions that he did.

“It doesn’t matter: eight weeks, six weeks, four weeks, four hours. It doesn’t matter,” Ige said during his post-fight interview. “This is what I live for, this is my dream. I get to wake up and do what I love, I was literally getting a massage and I had a call from Hunter [Campbell], Ali [Abdelaziz] and a bunch of people. They said, ‘Hey do you want to fight tonight?’ And I was like, ‘Man this is an opportunity to become a legend. This is the story I want to tell my grandkids.’ I love fighting at the Apex, don’t get me wrong, but to show up on four hours’ notice on International Fight Week, on one of the biggest cards of the year, on the co-main event, man I couldn’t be happier with my performance.”

does anyone have a video they can quote me on... I'll delete this if I find one I'm going through the pages now.

Fili vs Swanson - fotn
Payton Talbot - potn
Joe Pyfer - potn
Macy Chiasson - potn
Alex Pereira - potn

Pereira is must watch. We are entering the Poatan era
Absolutely must watch. If Pereira does move up to Heavyweight and becomes champ at the weight class- the argument could be made that he is the GOAT. To become a Champ in Three Different UFC Weight Classes will be a feat that nobody can ever possibly match. Incredible performance against a tough guy like Jiri.

Jiri Prochazka’s second opportunity against Alex Pereira didn’t bring many encouraging returns.

After being dropped at the end of the opening stanza, Prochazka was vanquished by a head kick and follow-up punches from Pereira just 13 seconds into Round 2 of their UFC 303 headlining bout at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday night. While Prochazka was also finished in their first meeting at UFC 295, he performed fairly well in the opening stanza and also had a legitimate gripe that the bout might have been stopped prematurely by referee Marc Goddard in the second period.

There were no such questions on Saturday night, and now it appears that “BJP has to do some soul searching before his next Octagon appearance.

“Hello everyone, thank you for all your support. Thanks to you Alex for the fight. You [were] better,” Prochazka said in a video on social media. “And only one thing goes on my mind: that I need to evolve to the next level — or don’t fight again. So simple, to be the strongest, this is the way. Thank you. See you in the gym.”

A former Rizin Fighting Federation champion, Prochazka won 13 consecutive fights from 2016 to 2022, capturing the UFC light heavyweight crown with a fifth-round submission of Glover Teixeira at UFC 275. He rebounded from his first loss to Pereira with a second-round stoppage of Aleksandar Rakic at UFC 300 before Saturday’s defeat.

Alex Pereira is a champion who pays attention to the little things.

“Poatan” made his second successful light heavyweight title defense at UFC 303 on Saturday, when he dropped Jiri Prochazka with a head kick and sealed his victory with follow-up punches 13 seconds into Round 2 of their rematch at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. As it turns out, Pereira saw an opening for the fight-ending maneuver while watching his footage of his opponent’s warmup.

“I was in the locker room talking to Plinio, one my coaches, and he showed me the video of Jiri warming up. I saw he was trying to counter attack the calf kick, defend and counter,” Pereira said through a translator at Saturday’s post-fight press conference. “I told Plinio he was doing the wrong timing, the timing was not good. So I saw that he was too focused on not taking that kick and he was keeping his hands down and leaving the head exposed. So I told him, I’m going to explore the high kick.”

Clearly, that exploration paid major dividends. However, in the immediate aftermath of the finish, Pereira appeared to be adjusting his toes, which led to speculation that the Brazilian had suffered an injury. While that was an initial concern, he believes he emerged from the fight in relatively good health.

“Nothing with my toes. The top of my foot I thought I had hurt a little bit,” he said. “Compared to other fights that I had, by now I should be limping and everything. It feels fine. I’m good.”

Pereira and Prochazka agreed to take to rematch on short notice after Conor McGregor withdrew from the originally scheduled UFC 303 headliner. “Poatan” proved that he made the right decision to step in and help save the event.

“When this fight got offered two weeks ago, many people said that it was not the right choice to take the fight,” Pereira said. “But I saw an opportunity. I trained hard to prepare for this, I stuck with the strategy. A lot of people saw me driving super cars in Australia, they started talking a lot of stuff. I said [Friday], If I was not training, [Saturday] it’s gonna show.”

With the victory, Pereira became just the seventh fighter in UFC history to use four different methods of strikes to finish a fight. While he didn’t notice anything new from his opponent, Pereira is still relatively new to the sport, which means there’s still room to grow.

“No, nothing new on my end,” Pereira said. “I think I’m still in the process of evolution of MMA, I keep evolving a lot. He’s a guy that is older, been training for longer, so he probably [knew] things a lot better, but not now.”

With victories over Prochazka (twice), Jamahal Hill and Jan Blachowicz, Pereira has bested many of the top fighters in the light heavyweight division. One notable exception is Magomed Ankalev, who is 10-0-1 with one no contest in his last 12 Octagon appearance. Ankalaev issued a callout to Pereira after Saturday’s fight.

“Congratulations champ, I’m very impressed but the boss [Dana White] always says this is the sport of opportunities and all I want is an opportunity,” Ankalaev wrote on X. “And I don’t need wrestling. I have enough striking to test your chin. I believe I will knock you out.

“[Two] years ago, [Alex Pereira] was not ready to fight me, but I believe today he is the hardest fight in the division for me, and I’m the hardest fight in the division for him.”

Pereira seemed open to the possibility when it was presented to him at the press conference.

“Everybody deserves, but I’m not the guy to ask,” Pereira said. “You’ve got to talk to Dana White.”

During his post-fight interview in the cage, Pereira also addressed a potential move to heavyweight. However, this decision is not something that will come on short notice.

“For heavyweight is something I’ve got to be prepared, so I don’t know. You guys saw that I took this fight on two week’s notice,” he said. “For heavyweight is something that’s got to be more planned. Right now I’m just focused on defending my title.”

First it was just show me a single fight won by elbows, now it's on points only from only elbows after you were proven wrong.

My entire argument is that Ian Garry won that round because MVP only landed 5 sig strikes whilst losing every other aspect of that round.
I didn't say he only won because of those shots. I said his offence over 4 mins of grappling, including all of MVPs top control position time, lead to him winning a close round.
He beat MVP up from the bottom, the top and only took 5 shots in 5 total mins whilst attacking from each position he was in.

It's a close round because MVP landed big shots, but the right guy won.

You weere the one that said nobody had won a round from that position and to show you a single example.
no you goober. i wasn't starting or looking for an argument. i wanted to know an example of a fighter winning a fight with strikes off their back, as thats how the initial poster (might have been you idr) was claiming garry won the round. given that the initial post was about judges scoring a round for a fighter off their back, i didn't think i had to specify i was talking about judges' scoring.

you posted very well-known finishes that everyone has seen assuming i didn't know fights were finished that way i guess? i think at that point you should have realized that's not what the conversation was about and now ur blaming ME for it lol

no you goober. i wasn't starting or looking for an argument. i wanted to know an example of a fighter winning a fight with strikes off their back, as thats how the initial poster (might have been you idr) was claiming garry won the round. given that the initial post was about judges scoring a round for a fighter off their back, i didn't think i had to specify i was talking about judges' scoring.

you posted very well-known finishes that everyone has seen assuming i didn't know fights were finished that way i guess? i think at that point you should have realized that's not what the conversation was about and now ur blaming ME for it lol
I was the original poster. I said that Ian Garry won that round across 4 mins of grappling INCLUDING the 2 mins of control time for MVP in the third BY landing big elbows off his back and causing MVP to land no offence from there.

No where did I say he won purely due to the elbows off his back on points.

You then specifically said to show a single fight won by elbows from the back so I posted UFC 8. Your exact words were to show any fight where someone has won from elbows on their back. No mention of a decision only and that's stupid because they usually lead to a sub or a stand up from the top fighter.

The reason those shots from Ian are significant is because we have multiple examples of fights getting finished from these positions. People write these shots off because they don't believe they will finish the fight, but I just showed you multiple examples where they can and have. No where in the scoring does it say the position of the strike matters, it actually says the opposite.

In a close round where MVP has 5 sig strikes in 1 min standing as his only offence, 2 mins control time where he didn't land a sig strike and was the one getting hit and ended the last 2 mins with his back getting taken and purely defending, MVP clearly lost that 3rd round. If MVP is the one landing strikes during that 2 mins control time, he 100% wins that fight if all else is the same.

I was the original poster. I said that Ian Garry won that round across 4 mins of grappling INCLUDING the 2 mins of control time for MVP in the third BY landing big elbows off his back and causing MVP to land no offence from there.

No where did I say he won purely due to the elbows off his back on points.

You then specifically said to show a single fight won by elbows from the back so I posted UFC 8. Your exact words were to show any fight where someone has won from elbows on their back. No mention of a decision only and that's stupid because they usually lead to a sub or a stand up from the top fighter.

The reason those shots from Ian are significant is because we have multiple examples of fights getting finished from these positions. People write these shots off because they don't believe they will finish the fight, but I just showed you multiple examples where they can and have. No where in the scoring does it say the position of the strike matters, it actually says the opposite.

In a close round where MVP has 5 sig strikes in 1 min standing as his only offence, 2 mins control time where he didn't land a sig strike and was the one getting hit and ended the last 2 mins with his back getting taken and purely defending, MVP clearly lost that 3rd round. If MVP is the one landing strikes during that 2 mins control time, he 100% wins that fight if all else is the same.
getting taken down or getting your back taken or being on bottom for an extended period and not taking any damage can be basically nullified with one or two clean standing strikes under the unified judging criteria. we've seen it countless times since the changing of the criteria and i can provide examples if needed. o'malley vs. yan is a big one. jack della maddalena vs bassil hafez is another.

ian garry legitimately did zero damage to mvp. he tried a lot of things and failed at almost all of them. he got a couple takedowns, which are virtually worthless when they lead to nothing and you're losing in the standup.

i meant on points. like judges scoring a fight for a fighter winning with strikes on their back. only one i can think of is bas rutten 30 years ago

What about Shara in his UFC debut?

All 3 judges scored R3 for Shara, and he pretty much only used ground strikes from the bottom.

What about Shara in his UFC debut?

All 3 judges scored R3 for Shara, and he pretty much only used ground strikes from the bottom.
didn't see his debut, but according to the ufc's stats he also outstruck him at distance and in the clinch during that round.

didn't see his debut, but according to the ufc's stats he also outstruck him at distance and in the clinch during that round.

Yeah maybe my memory is exaggerating it - but it did feel like a long time lol

Yeah maybe my memory is exaggerating it - but it did feel like a long time lol
yeah i didn't see the fight tho so i can't say you're definitely wrong. there's also just so many examples to the contrary it's more of a rule/exception scenario. if you're losing on the feet, desperately seeking takedowns AND you end up on your back it's a pretty clear lost round imo

getting taken down or getting your back taken or being on bottom for an extended period and not taking any damage can be basically nullified with one or two clean standing strikes under the unified judging criteria. we've seen it countless times since the changing of the criteria and i can provide examples if needed. o'malley vs. yan is a big one. jack della maddalena vs bassil hafez is another.

ian garry legitimately did zero damage to mvp. he tried a lot of things and failed at almost all of them. he got a couple takedowns, which are virtually worthless when they lead to nothing and you're losing in the standup.
Show me the significant damage that MVP did to Garry? The fights you used as an example involved fighters getting cut or visibly rocked on the feet. I already said I would have given it to MVP if he rocked or dropped him. I would have given him the fight if he landed any ground and pound when he had 2 mins of top control. Maddelena was landing more strikes than MVP did in 15 mins in a single combo in his fight... Haffiz had more takedown attempts than sig strikes that MVP landed the entire fight. That's how little MVP threw or landed. It's why he lost.

MVP landed 5 total sig strikes in that round, but at no point was Ian dropped or in any danger of the fight finishing.
In comparison Ian Garry landed more sig strikes including off his back, had MVP burying his face in his chest instead of throwing offence from top position and then after that proceeded to take his back, threaten a sub and finish the round punching MVP in the face whilst MVP couldn't mount any of his own attacks or escape. That's effective grappling and outweighs 5 strikes on the feet.

It's actually an extremely well judged fight. They gave Ian the first for his back control and subs, MVP the second because his strikes were more impactful than Ians sub attempt and then Ian takes the 3rd by the reasons I have outlined. Strikes on the feet are scored the same as strikes on the ground. Ian wasn't landing busy strikes, he hit MVP hard enough he was able to get him to cover up, improve his position and ultimately finish the fight in an attacking position. MVPs shots lead to absolutely nothing even if they were great looking strikes. He just didn't do enough in the 3rd and even he clearly agreed with that post fight.

Back