• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC 251: Usman vs. Masvidal (7/11)

Anyone else think Masvidal has a legit chance vs Usman? Usman throws a lot of kicks, where Masvidal is always looking to catch & counter (Till fight). Usman is far superior as far as wrestling and bjj, but Demian Maia said Masvidal was one of the best bjj fighters he’s ever faced. Gonna wait for some replies before I hammer anything tho. Lmk what y’all think

Anyone else think Masvidal has a legit chance vs Usman? Usman throws a lot of kicks, where Masvidal is always looking to catch & counter (Till fight). Usman is far superior as far as wrestling and bjj, but Demian Maia said Masvidal was one of the best bjj fighters he’s ever faced. Gonna wait for some replies before I hammer anything tho. Lmk what y’all think

Mas has a chance. He throws a lot of kicks as you mentioned, and Usman moving forward looked succestiible to them. Of bigger note, rewatch the Colby fight. Usman drops his damn hands after he throws. He is able to eat them with his chin, but catching flush hooks in the pocket from Masvidal will be a lot more damaging than from Colby’s volume style.

If Usman decides to wrestle like he did vs Woodley and RDA, well then Mas is a complete goner. Usman just too much. Slight chance of catching a guillotine as Usman leaves his head outside against the cage on singles. RDA and Woodley both had attempts against him.

Mas has a chance. He throws a lot of kicks as you mentioned, and Usman moving forward looked succestiible to them. Of bigger note, rewatch the Colby fight. Usman drops his damn hands after he throws. He is able to eat them with his chin, but catching flush hooks in the pocket from Masvidal will be a lot more damaging than from Colby’s volume style.

If Usman decides to wrestle like he did vs Woodley and RDA, well then Mas is a complete goner. Usman just too much. Slight chance of catching a guillotine as Usman leaves his head outside against the cage on singles. RDA and Woodley both had attempts against him.
Lol I was gonna reply the same thing. When he throws his right hand, it drops to his waist before he brings it back up. Masvidal is sweet science vs a wrestler turn striker for the most part now.

Rousey is a perfect example of that fighting mma level strikers until she met up with Holm.

Curious, maybe you covered it earlier, is it just the value of those odds that make you bite or do you really favor Max here? I can’t see him winning..
I'll keep it short. Volk pretty much fought a damn near perfect fight against Max. Can he do it again? Im not very scared of the leg kicks. Max isnt a good checker but he can use his stance switching to avoid a lot of it. I'm scared of Volks answers and adjustments to everything. I am playing the odds.

Edit* I could have typed this at the store.

Last edited:
Not sure why Usman by KO is more favoured than Decision. 2 finishes in 4 years, one over Moraes and then a very late stoppage R5 over Colby

I might just play goes the distance at +145, or Usman Decision +300

Not sure why Usman by KO is more favoured than Decision. 2 finishes in 4 years, one over Moraes and then a very late stoppage R5 over Colby

I might just play goes the distance at +145, or Usman Decision +300
Thats the best play, he aint Koing Masvidal who actually has headmovement unlike Colby

Usman is -300 on Bovada. Most likely will be -350 by Saturday

I'll keep it short. Volk pretty much fought a damn near perfect fight against Max. Can he do it again? Im not very scared of the leg kicks. Max isnt a good checker but he can use his stance switching to avoid a lot of it. I'm scared of Volks answers and adjustments to everything. I am playing the odds.

Edit* I could have typed this at the store.

I am of the same school of thought
When have we ever seen a rematch that even resembles the first fight?
Max got out gamed and he didn’t lose as badly or as soundly as people say he did. He lost the fight but dudes a champ. +200 is just silly

My apologies, +200/3.00

Still strange to me him winning by KO is favoured (+150/2.50)
Ah ok, well +200 is still good for a big favorite. Only thing I can think of is Masvidal being 1 week notice and Usman pushes an unlimited cardio grind pace so there could be a sweat in the 4th/5th rounds. But like I can't ever see Usman submitting Masvidal, so it would have to be some sort of ground and pound finish forcing ref to stop it as I don't see him being the type to go out cold, not to Usman anyways.

Masvidals a tricky fight for Usman. Usmans not a great open mat wrestler (weak knees), he usually gets them against the fence. Masvidals footwork and pivots are gonna make it super difficult. Also Masvidal is a very good scrambler especially when he doesnt believe his opponent is a submission threat. Kamaru has good standup but Masvidal is a slicker boxer and probably hits harder too. Obviously who knows what shape he is in though

Ah ok, well +200 is still good for a big favorite. Only thing I can think of is Masvidal being 1 week notice and Usman pushes an unlimited cardio grind pace so there could be a sweat in the 4th/5th rounds. But like I can't ever see Usman submitting Masvidal, so it would have to be some sort of ground and pound finish forcing ref to stop it as I don't see him being the type to go out cold, not to Usman anyways.

4th or 5th ref mercy after Masvidal wilts to the pressure would be my fear with getting too cute and going the Usman decision route

Problem with Masvidal obviously is no camp, probably no gas tank, no fighter preparation, jet lag, etc

If he wins this fight it should be up there with some of the great upsets of all time. Count me in.

I like +120 Usman round 4,5 or dec. Hit it for max possible, but fairly low limits. Thats why multiple accounts is needed. Gotta get some.

I kind of don't think most of you have watched Masvidal fight since everyone is basically saying Usman wet blankets him

7 years ago Masvidal fought Rustam Khabilov and never looked troubled in the ground game, avoiding near every takedown with ease and getting right back to his feet on the couple of occasions Khabilov actually got him down. That was 7 years ago and he's trained with Colby almost the entire time since. Yes Maia was able to have success in the ground game v Masvidal, but Maia has an obscene submission threat while I'm not sure Usman has ever actually choked somebody out. The danger of an Usman wrestlefuck is being heavily overstated here. Yeah his cardio is a concern, yeah his power is a concern if Masvidal is worried about defending the takedown (which could be a concern early, but by round 3 v Khabilov he was spamming flying knees lmfao), but it seems pretty unlikely Usman just grinds him out to a decision like y'all seem convinced he's destined too

Moreover, Masvidal absolutely has sharp boxing, but the most underrated thing about him is his body kicks. Guy may be the only one who can actually cause Usman to gas

It's also not like he isn't ready for Usman. He may not have had a camp so may not be in perfect physical condition, but the guy has been prepping to fight Usman ever since he beat Nate

I'm not saying Masvidal should be the favourite, but the odds should be much closer to evens than they are so I'm big on Masvidal at current prices

Problem with Masvidal obviously is no camp, probably no gas tank, no fighter preparation, jet lag, etc

If he wins this fight it should be up there with some of the great upsets of all time. Count me in.
Why is jet lag an issue for Masvidal and not Usman? Both of them just flew to Vegas lmfao

And the UFC negotiated with Masvidal before giving the fight to Burns. You really think Masvidal hasn't done specific preparation for Usman?

Impossible to ever count out Masvidal here. He goes for the finish and isnt afraid to take risks. Very polarizing compared to Usmans control grappling style.

Back