UFC 217 - Bisping vs GSP - NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already went huge on JJ and Wonderboy.

I think wonderboy's takedown defense is much too strong
Totally agree. I think either guy getting taken down would be a surprise takedown off a kick or something

I have a hard time seeing Masvidal clearly losing a stand up battle. Maybe you can outwork him, try to drag him to the ground and out grapple him, WB can throw kicks from range and do well, I guess, but if Mas can get himself into boxing range then WB is gonna have a lot of problems. I like Mas at +money as well, definitely dog or pass for me, tho.

Mas does have a knack for losing decisions. I wonder who the judges will be and if they have judged his fights before. I hate to even think about judges bias but some decisions were bad. I may just pass.

Mas does have a knack for losing decisions. I wonder who the judges will be and if they have judged his fights before. I hate to even think about judges bias but some decisions were bad. I may just pass.

Yeah his inactivity can be a concern at times. I think he's been trying to get away from that recently but he'll never be a high volume guy unless he's going for the finish. I still like him as a dog here, but you make good point, for sure.

Wonder boy isn't exactly Mr Active himself

Wonder boy isn't exactly Mr Active himself
Tell me about it, bet him twice against Twood, so frustrating to watch him do next to nothing for large portions of those fights.

I hit Masvidal nsc at 2.65. He has a finish over an actual high calibre striker and has taken very little damage in his last fights. WB on other hand has finished only couple clumsy and fading fighters + inexperienced Whittaker. He was dropped by Ellenberger and took damage against Woodley.

I hit Masvidal nsc at 2.65. He has a finish over an actual high calibre striker and has taken very little damage in his last fights. WB on other hand has finished only couple clumsy and fading fighters + inexperienced Whittaker. He was dropped by Ellenberger and took damage against Woodley.

I don't hate the bet, but I disagree with your reasoning. WB is the only guy to stop Whittaker in the UFC and the first guy to stop Hendricks in his career. Both guys stopped a shot Ellenberger. Yes, Masvidal finished Cerrone and glassed jawed Mutante, but he's also gone the distance in 17 of his last 21 fights. He subbed Chiesa as well, but he was also dropped earlier in that fight. We've also seen him hurt guys and been unable to put them away (Pearson fight comes to mind).

I think WB is slightly more likely to get a finish here. All that said, both guys seem to have great chins and IMO the fight is most likely doing the distance.

I don't hate the bet, but I disagree with your reasoning. WB is the only guy to stop Whittaker in the UFC and the first guy to stop Hendricks in his career. Both guys stopped a shot Ellenberger. Yes, Masvidal finished Cerrone and glassed jawed Mutante, but he's also gone the distance in 17 of his last 21 fights. He subbed Chiesa as well, but he was also dropped earlier in that fight. We've also seen him hurt guys and been unable to put them away (Pearson fight comes to mind).

I think WB is slightly more likely to get a finish here. All that said, both guys seem to have great chins and IMO the fight is most likely doing the distance.
I'm not an expert on subject, but I think Whittaker's defense wasn't that good back then. Hendricks is the type of opponent that WB's game is very effective against (forward pressing but flatfooted). Hendricks had been in wars and his confidence was crumbling.

I think that Masvidal might be becoming a better finisher and WB might be becoming more gunshy, but that's of course a very iffy theory as both guys have been facing tricky opponents in Woodley and Maia.

I probably should pay more attention for Masvidal's older fights. Was he actually dropped against Chiesa or was it just a knockdown?

Last edited:
How does a knockdown differ from being dropped?
For me being dropped means a flash ko like WB vs. Ellenberger. Knockdown can be just someone getting knocked down on their ass by cheer force of the blow but fully conscious.

For me being dropped means a flash ko like WB vs. Ellenberger. Knockdown can be just someone getting knocked down on their ass by cheer force of the blow but fully conscious.
giphy.gif

I'm not an expert on subject, but I think Whittaker's defense wasn't that good back then. Hendricks is the type of opponent that WB's game is very effective against (forward pressing but flatfooted). Hendricks had been in wars and his confidence was crumbling.

I think that Masvidal might be becoming a better finisher and WB might be becoming more gunshy, but that's of course a very iffy theory as both guys have been facing tricky very opponents in Woodley and Maia.

I propably should pay more attention for Masvidal's older fights. Was he actually dropped against Chiesa or was it just a knockdown?

Yea, Mas has been more aggressive lately for sure. Like I said, I don't hate your bet, I just think the line is set about right.

As for Mas vs Chiesa, you'd have to watch for yourself. Chiesa clipped him with a left a minute or two into the first round. Mas was definitely stunned, but he was able to grab onto a leg and recover.

I think they both have good chins but are both susceptible to getting stunned. I do think WB will be the 1 to be conservative if he gets rocked while Mas will still try to win.

I don't think WB wears damage well either. He seems to bust up easy. I just think Mas will be inflicting the heavier damage. Especially if he can stun/hurt WB early

I think they both have good chins but are both susceptible to getting stunned. I do think WB will be the 1 to be conservative if he gets rocked while Mas will still try to win.

I don't think WB wears damage well either. He seems to bust up easy. I just think Mas will be inflicting the heavier damage. Especially if he can stun/hurt WB early

I don't think WB has shown that tendency at all. He was dropped by Jake and came back to KO him later in the round. After the beating he took from Woodley in the 4th round of their first fight, he came back to have his best round of the fight in the 5th.

I don't think WB has shown that tendency at all. He was dropped by Jake and came back to KO him later in the round. After the beating he took from Woodley in the 4th round of their first fight, he came back to have his best round of the fight in the 5th.

He took Berger down

He had a zombie in front of him in the 5th and still couldn't commit

He even fought conservative against Cote after getting hit. I think he's totally showed he can turn conservative after eating shots.

I really can't believe anyone would bring up the Twood fight to show WB will turn it up to win a fight

I literally do not see a single advantage in GSPs favour here

Obviously people will say wrestling but I don't think that's an advantage vs bisping who will make George work to the death for every takedown and to keep him down. With GSPs added weight this could equal gassing early

Gsp is without advantage

Bisping all day

I have a bet on Bisping as well but...GSP surely has better spots than Bisping.
Fight iq? Agility? Wrestling? I dare to say than he is even stronger. He is a very thick and muscular guy, Bisping does not have even close to the muscle mass that GSP has.
Also re the cardio issue on GSP due to added weight. He specifically mentioned that he gained the weight slowly before fight camp so that he can get used to it, not fast bulk as others do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back