UFC 196 retrospective: Did Conor actually panic wrestle, give Nate his neck and tap early?

stayonyourfeet.gif

He got rocked by a 1-2 from a volume puncher, at that point he already gave up so he shot in and gave up his back instead of standing and getting KO'd.

howabout u watch the fight and make a judgement call for yourself , instead of asking shitards what happened, they dontknow shit

How about his retarded fans, like the one below, who think his shit smells like perfume and that he dominated Nate? Do they get a pass from you?

Fuck dude how much do I have to ham it up

Is it only sarcasm if I put a stupid gif at the end

He was exhausted, hurt and scared

So everyones ok with Conor even shooting a TD? I know its MMA and all but am I missing something?

Yes I think he did those things but it was also his first time facing a Diaz brother. Fighting a guy who picks up his pace and gets stronger the more you punch him in the face is very demoralizing. He had nothing for Nate at that point so he hit the deck, gave up his neck, and lived to fight another day. Probably the smartest thing to do but not very noble.

I didn't think he gave up his neck or anything intentionally, but he definitely got rocked and panicked and made poor fight decisions

he go wobbled, did what he accused others of and panic wrestled, got mounted and rolled over and gave up his neck looking for a way out.

Holly went out on her shield earlier on that card, conor looked for a way out and gave up.

I didn't think he gave up his neck or anything intentionally, but he definitely got rocked and panicked and made poor fight decisions

So why did he roll over and let Nate get back mount after like 4-5 punches instead of trying a hip escape?

So why did he roll over and let Nate get back mount after like 4-5 punches instead of trying a hip escape?

Because A) Conor has never been a great grappler

B) He was already rocked and dizzy and not thinking straight, which is why he went for the takedown in the first place

C) full panic mode because his last ditch effort to buy time to recover didn't work, and he's still getting his ass beat, and he's not exactly sure what to do and he's been punched into a 2nd month white belt at most

The problem with Conor is too much touch butt with that dork in the park and not enough treadmill. Dude has no fucking cardio

Because A) Conor has never been a great grappler

B) He was already rocked and dizzy and not thinking straight, which is why he went for the takedown in the first place

C) full panic mode because his last ditch effort to buy time to recover didn't work, and he's still getting his ass beat, and he's not exactly sure what to do and he's been punched into a 2nd month white belt at most

You make solid points but I think he knew he was giving up as soon as he shot.

He just tried to defend a little on the ground to save face.

It's the only time I can recall seeing someone tap to a RNC without even trying to defend it.

He literally doesn't touch Nate's arms once before tapping.

I find it hysterical when people say Conor 'gassed' in that fight. It was midway through the second round, with Conor not only hurling bombs, but landing, when Nate groomed him for a clean 1-2. Everything changed after that.

If you rewatch the PPV, they roll slow motion angles of all the shots Nate landed right before Conor dove for the take down. He was getting absolutely battered.

So he had a decision to make - get knocked out standing up, or dive for a take down and try to recover in the process.

Since Nate is a far more competent grappler, he immediately use the guillotine to reverse him and passed his guard to mount. Now Conor has another choice - get TKO'd on the ground - Nate was punching his head in with ground-and-pound, or give up his neck for the submission.

He chose to give up the submission instead of tapping to strikes or waiting for the referee to call a TKO.

All pretty straight forward, all bad options for Conor. He was beat no matter which path he chose.

The true take. Just watched the fight again, at about 2:23 Nate stunned him and the blows started mounting. He was clubbing Conor, put him up against the cage and ripped an underrated body shot. It wasn't like Conor punched himself out and gassed looking for a way out. Diaz hurt him and was continuing to do so, the full mount at the end was just a dealers choice at that point, get TKO'd or Subbed.

Diaz was competitive in that fight only because of his 20 lb. size advantage.

Back