UFC 196 retrospective: Did Conor actually panic wrestle, give Nate his neck and tap early?

Didn't even try to handfight or go for wrist control.

Panicked and quit. Just like he panicked when Nate walked into the postfight presser.
His hands were trapped underneath him and Nate had his hands locked on the other side. Lol at shertards who think fighters are scared at fuckin pressers.

I find it hysterical when people say Conor 'gassed' in that fight. It was midway through the second round, with Conor not only hurling bombs, but landing, when Nate groomed him for a clean 1-2. Everything changed after that.

If you rewatch the PPV, they roll slow motion angles of all the shots Nate landed right before Conor dove for the take down. He was getting absolutely battered.

So he had a decision to make - get knocked out standing up, or dive for a take down and try to recover in the process.

Since Nate is a far more competent grappler, he immediately use the guillotine to reverse him and passed his guard to mount. Now Conor has another choice - get TKO'd on the ground - Nate was punching his head in with ground-and-pound, or give up his neck for the submission.

He chose to give up the submission instead of tapping to strikes or waiting for the referee to call a TKO.

All pretty straight forward, all bad options for Conor. He was beat no matter which path he chose.
Not unlike fedor against Bigfoot who gave his back 3 times but was able to survive the submissions. Similar survival / defensive instincts but different defensive and offensive execution.

Not unlike fedor against Bigfoot who gave his back 3 times but was able to survive the submissions. Similar survival / defensive instincts but different defensive and offensive execution.

Considering the gulf in grappling between Fedor and Conor is too much for my brain to handle.

200.gif

He got clipped clean and shot for a takedown based on instinct.

Pussied out he did. Went out like true warrior Andy Wang.

0tbxlo3jxh801.gif

This really amps up my respect for Conor. A thousand times you see people coming up with excuses for their losses, or failing to admit what they know is true. Conor could only improve by being honest about it, and I like it. Like Nate too, but he has the opposite problem. "I lost? Corruption/Aliens/Judges/SpinningShit/etc"

He knew a KO/TKO would hurt his brand and a mega fight with Mayweather that was his big goal. His plan was never to just keep hustling MMA fights. He could come back from a submission, but not getting knocked out.

he was exhausted, got stunned which made it worse, shot a takedown thinking he could recover/rest a bit, and got submitted by someone with really good BJJ.

doesn't mean he's a pussy, has a shit ground game or " quit ".

problem is that theres no grey area with conor, his haters will always think he's trash and shit on him no matter what he does because they're bitter and blinded by hate.

How about his retarded fans, like the one below, who think his shit smells like perfume and that he dominated Nate? Do they get a pass from you?

The goat was just trying to mix it up and miscalculated his hip movement by millimetres

He came back and dominated Nate in the second fight proving it was a fluke

Yes he was hurt. We’ve all seen the gif of the one two that hurt conor.

There is actually a nice breakdown by Dan Hardy on the matter you could probably find it on youtube. Conor definatly dove for the takedown cause he was about to get finished but he was acting on instincts, and the gap between him and Nate was too big to survive the ground in that condition.

Pussied out he did. Went out like true warrior Andy Wang.

0tbxlo3jxh801.gif
Really shows how much investment Conor puts into the mind games. He feels the pressure just like everyone else. He was clearly not used to losing at his own game. Even in the 2nd fight he didn't have the same confidence. Very different side of Conor that was shown in those fights.

I'm curious how the mind games will go against Khabib

My definition of panic wrestling is different to what happened.

To me panic wrestling is when a guy realises he's getting out classed on the feet and starts spamming takedowns.

Whereas Conor out classed Diaz on the feet for 95% of the fight.

I just think Conor was in survival mode, he was both badly rocked by the 1, 2 and completely gassed, he went for a takedown hoping to be able to clear his head and see out the round, but Nate wasn't letting him regroup and completely overwhelmed him on the mat.

Yes, he did. It was quite sad and embarrassing from a tough guy stand point.

How about his retarded fans, like the one below, who think his shit smells like perfume and that he dominated Nate? Do they get a pass from you?
lmao a few dumb fans doesn't even compare to the huge number of bitter, obsessed conor haters who talk about him more than his fans do and are straight up delusional about his skills.

conor does anything and you guys are in tears from the asspain.

He didn't pussy out or 'go out on his shield'.. he gassed out trying to finish Nate in round 1 and got caught with a 1-2, was on his way to being TKOed on the feet so he tried to shoot and see if he could recover on the ground, but he was too gassed to defend himself & Nate is a BJJ black belt, so he got finished.

He didn't pussy out or 'go out on his shield'.. he gassed out trying to finish Nate in round 1 and got caught with a 1-2, was on his way to being TKOed on the feet so he tried to shoot and see if he could recover on the ground, but he was too gassed to defend himself & Nate is a BJJ black belt, so he got finished.
Cmon man, you expect all these armchair experts to think beyond the bitterness clouding their simple minds to understand how the body and minds works when in an actual fight? Most of these guys have never laced a glove or tied a belt.

This really amps up my respect for Conor. A thousand times you see people coming up with excuses for their losses, or failing to admit what they know is true. Conor could only improve by being honest about it, and I like it. Like Nate too, but he has the opposite problem. "I lost? Corruption/Aliens/Judges/SpinningShit/etc"

- Didn't take Nate seriously
- Was winning until he lost
- Inefficient with his energy
- Nate 3 times the size of him
- Went up 2 weight classes
- Extra weight made Nate able to absorb his shots

Back