UFC 196 retrospective: Did Conor actually panic wrestle, give Nate his neck and tap early?

- Didn't take Nate seriously
- Was winning until he lost
- Inefficient with his energy
- Nate 3 times the size of him
- Went up 2 weight classes
- Extra weight made Nate able to absorb his shots

You can see in the fight he did not take Nate seriously at all. He was winning until he lost. He was literally spamming kicks and wasting energy. Nate was way longer than previous opponents. He literally went up two weight classes.

Not trying to defend McGregor here but those are things that happened. Hate on, I guess?

Well, yeah. He panic wrestled. That is Conors actual term. Panic Wrestle.

But it don't matter. Conor has done some great stuff since. Conor is a great fighter, and a great promoter. It doesn't mean he is invincible. No one is.

For instance, I think Conor could knock out Twood. His style would give Twood nightmares. But that doesn't mean he could beat khabib. Conors kryptonite is someone that can hang with him on the feet until they can drag him into the mud.

No but gassing out in the second round against someone who came off a 10 day vacation when you've had a full training camp for 5 rounds does indeed make you delusional, or ill prepared, or both.

You can say the same thing about Ngannou. Delusional for thinking he doesn't need a gas tank past the first.

No, the issue is a bit more complicated than thinking you need a gas tank past the first round, as the Mayweather fight and the rematch showed us. It has nothing to do with being "ill-prepared." If anything, a person should be inclined to think that they would be able to get away with having bad cardio, if their opponent didn't have as long to train as them.

No, the issue is a bit more complicated than thinking you need a gas tank past the first round, as the Mayweather fight and the rematch showed us. It has nothing to do with being "ill-prepared." If anything, a person should be inclined to think that they would be able to get away with having bad cardio, if their opponent didn't have as long to train as them.

How does someone who had a full training champ for a championship fight gas out against someone coming off 10 day Cabo vacation?

If you don't call that ill prepared, what do you call it?

How does someone who had a full training champ for a championship fight gas out against someone coming off 10 day Cabo vacation?

If you don't call that ill prepared, what do you call it?

Now you’ve managed to change the debate to whether or not he was ill prepared. Instead, let’s keep it on topic; how does being ill prepared for a fight (like every other fighter who has taken a loss in history) equate to being delusional and arrogant? That doesn’t make any sense to me.

conor7.gif

how does being ill prepared for a fight (like every other fighter who has taken a loss in history) equate to being delusional and arrogant? That doesn’t make any sense to me.

Being delusional and arrogant is what makes you be ill prepared. When you accurately assessed the task at hand, you'll go in well prepared. When you underestimate your opponent to a delusional level, you're going in ill prepared. It's simple logic. Ill prepared means you're not ready for the challenge, it means you thought the challenge was less than what it was, meaning you're delusional.

Being delusional and arrogant is what makes you be ill prepared. When you accurately assessed the task at hand, you'll go in well prepared. When you underestimate your opponent to a delusional level, you're going in ill prepared. It's simple logic. Ill prepared means you're not ready for the challenge, it means you thought the challenge was less than what it was, meaning you're delusional.
I disagree. Delusional and arrogant are two extreme qualities reserved for people like Joanna who despite losing to Namajunas twice, still thinks that she is the champion, and things of that nature - not simply losing a fight. What happens after a fight is what determines whether or not a person is delusional or arrogant, and that's excluding the external factors that effected UFC 196 in particular (like the time they both had to prepare for each others styles, etc).

I disagree. Delusional and arrogant are two extreme qualities reserved for people like Joanna who despite losing to Namajunas twice, still thinks that she is the champion, and things of that nature - not simply losing a fight. What happens after a fight is what determines whether or not a person is delusional or arrogant, and that's excluding the external factors that effected UFC 196 in particular (like the time they both had to prepare for each others styles, etc).
No what you’re talking about is CONTINUED denial and delusion after the fight, I’m talking about delusion before the fight.

Conor was delusional before the fight for thinking his power was enough to put away Nate with ease, but accepted reality afterwards. He stopped being delusional. Joanne was and still is delusional.

Was he truly rocked on the feet before he panic wrestled?
Yes, he was. He was clearly better striker in the first round. He blew out his steam in the second and he he choose to keep it standing, he would get knocked out. You can see how Nate was hitting him with a quite slow 1-2 and Conor couldn't even move his had or lift his hands up. He was looking for a break and went for the TD. He gave up again after a few punches from Nate on the ground and decide to roll over. Than he quit the 3rd time right when Nate got the RNC. He really did show he has no heart and quit easily. He showed much more heart in the Mendez fight. I hope he brings more heart to the Khabib fight.

I've heard mixed things on this one, some saying Conor pussied out and others saying he went out on his shield because he's a true warrior... what actually went down on that fateful night?
come on, just fucking watch the tape.

Conor had nothing left in the tank.

He didn't do it on purpose, but he obviously allowed Nate to put him on that choke.

come on, just fucking watch the tape.

Conor had nothing left in the tank.

He didn't do it on purpose, but he obviously allowed Nate to put him on that choke.

He rather allow himself to get choked and tap, then get KTFO lol

he was exhausted, got stunned which made it worse, shot a takedown thinking he could recover/rest a bit, and got submitted by someone with really good BJJ.

doesn't mean he's a pussy, has a shit ground game or " quit ".

problem is that theres no grey area with conor, his haters will always think he's trash and shit on him no matter what he does because they're bitter and blinded by hate.
Lol that's a lot of emotional words just to say he panic wrestled and gave up

Back