Tyron Woodley got his black belt from Din Thomas last night is that normal?

He's doing bjj 13 years so he earned his blackbelt, great.

....by subbing a muay thai fighter?

Would make more sense if he subbed a few blackbelts in BJJ

Anyone ever wondered why the belt has to be "black"?

Hmm...

Look at your question and you will find the answer. He got the black belt because hes been training 13 years. This was just a perfect chance to present it to him publicly after submitting a professional fighter on live tv. Im sure they could have waited until he fights a bjj black belt but why wait?

Who says that's how he earned it? Maybe they just wanted to surprise him because they knew it would mean a lot. Never had a late surprise party?

Woodley was getting it no matter what. He put in the work for 13 years and that fight was a great spot to present it to him.

Anyone ever wondered why the belt has to be "black"?

Hmm...
Black incorporates all colors symbolizing depth of one's understanding and knowledge on the subject, in this case BJJ.

White is the absence of all colors symbolizing that one knows little to nothing on the subject.

That's also why as you advance the belts get darker symbolizing the absorption of the information and knowledge.

You don't know what happens in his gym

Maybe Din has seen him acquire knowledge, execution, timing, reflexes... I'm pretty sure that TWood isn't rolling with the white belts, that he has seen him enough with his upper belts to know if he's at black belt level.

A stocky wrestler with an elite MMA fighter cardio must be complete hell for anyone in a gym, purple, brown and blackbelts alike.

If he's been doing submission grappling and BJJ for 13 years, he's definetly black belt level.

Black belt isn't a honorary for being the best grappler in the area. It's about knowledge and the ability to apply techniques.

Black incorporates all colors symbolizing depth of one's understanding and knowledge on the subject, in this case BJJ.

White is the absence of all colors symbolizing that one knows little to nothing on the subject.

That's also why as you advance the belts get darker symbolizing the absorption of the information and knowledge.

So because Woodley is black, he automatically gets a black belt? Is that what you're saying?

I'm pretty sure he earned in the gym but his coaches wanted to present it to him in a more meaningful way. In the octagon after a great performance that he ended via a submission seems to fit the bill.

You dont get any belt in BJJ for one moment.

You get one when you demonstrate your commitment to the craft.

Some coaches will literally hold a promotion until a player gets a sub they particularly like in tournament. The reason guys get belts for winning tourneys and submitting guys in MMA is because it gives them a capstone and a story to be able to recount "this is when I got my belt".

The moment of promotion is a big deal but it's up to the discretion of your teacher. Din appreciated his student getting a submission in a title fight. He literally had the belt ready you know he was just waiting for a moment to make it memorable for Tyron.

You're putting too much importance on the belt itself. Its just a symbol, and getting it is a moment between you and your teacher.

Anyone who has ever even seen a guy or gal get promoted in real life even to blue knows how cool that moment is for the person getting it. Props to Din for picking a moment that Woodley will remember.

Completely false lol but it is funny though.
In Judo Karate and other sports where they wear gi's their belt would get darker with time as they use it.
So it symbolizes how much time the person has put into the sport for example if the belt was bright white the person was new, if it was very dirty/black it meant the person had put in a lot of hours.
That's why it's black.

Frank Mir got his for subbing Tim Sylvia. I'm sure they were going to give it to them anyway but awarding it for winning a title fight by sub is better advertising for their school.

Last edited:
In Judo Karate and other sports where they wear gi's their belt would get darker with time as they use it.
So it symbolizes how much time the person has put into the sport for example if the belt was bright white the person was new, if it was very dirty/black it meant the person had put in a lot of hours.
That's why it's black.
This is correct.

That's why it's black.
That sounds totally true but I just repeated what I was told by my kenpo instructor years ago. Eventually there had to be some reason why purple, brown, blue, etc were Incorporated into the scheme of things. I don't think any amount of dirt or dust will turn a white belt bright blue.

Back