Tyron Woodley got his black belt from Din Thomas last night is that normal?

He also has a BB from JJ Machado though.
I'm solely talking about the legitimacy of his bb from Bravo/10th planet. JJ Machado "honorary cosigns" some Bravo bb's. Personally, I don't feel any "pure no-gi/sub wrestlers" should automatically get bjj bb's without actually being bb level in the gi but that's not up to me. But as far as Rogan, his 10th planet bb is as legit as they come.

Because 'you talking bout practice'.

To be declared an expert in a fighting art without ever having a fight....

That's why it matters.
If you have no experience or knowledge whatsoever, why are you speaking?

He submitted someone in an mma title fight.
As far as i'm concerned that BB is a lot more legit that the hundreds gracie/machado celebrity black belts given out of interest ( like joe rogan's for example )
yes because machado just hands out black belts, Joe's been training jiu jitsu for 20 years.

Ive seen it before where a jiujitsu trainer gives their student a black belt after a fight.

But I never knew Din was a BJJ master, is his black belt credible?

You're a red belt & start threads like you know MMA history and don't know this?

It's been happening for years.

BJJ instructors will wait for a big event or important time to give a belt.
It means Woodley has probably been at black belt level for quite a few weeks or months now.

He submitted someone in an mma title fight.
As far as i'm concerned that BB is a lot more legit that the hundreds gracie/machado celebrity black belts given out of interest ( like joe rogan's for example )
Al Bundy aka Ed O’Neil would submit Hoe Rogaine into a living death.

I'm solely talking about the legitimacy of his bb from Bravo/10th planet. JJ Machado "honorary cosigns" some Bravo bb's. Personally, I don't feel any "pure no-gi/sub wrestlers" should automatically get bjj bb's without actually being bb level in the gi but that's not up to me. But as far as Rogan, his 10th planet bb is as legit as they come.

I thought Rogan got his bb from Machado first, no?

Woodley is absolutely black belt level. I don't know why anyone would doubt that. There is sport BJJ, where you can't do certain moves, and there is BJJ the martial art...Woodley has great takedowns, great positional control, great transitions, and we just saw that he can pull off submissions at the highest level...just because he's not wearing a pair of pajamas doesn't mean that he lacks the skill. I trust the decision of a decorated, respected instructor much more than the blind hate of people on sherdog. If a BJJ ace like Maia could figure out how to hammer down elbows like Woodley does, he might've been a champ.

main-qimg-c09b309c9c75773249b68b6e8af9ec15

He hasn't trained full time at ATT in years.
Actually probably not ever, he was briefly a coach there.

He owns a satellite team up until Colby got into the title picture ATT fighters were very supportive of Woodley, and many still are like Nunes and JJ etc. When Colby first started targetting Woodley the owner at ATT told him to chill

But now Colby is going to fight and he trains at the main gym and Woodley obviously trains primarily during camp at Roufusport. There's no expectation that they would back him over Colby.

Woodley trained at ATT for a bit but has been training in St Louis I believe at an ATT gym for years. He's been going to Roufus for fight camp training like you mentioned for a couple years.

It's the combined effort of Din, Roufus, his boxing coach (forgot his name but its one of the head guys at Freddie Roach's gym) and the real king of the WW division, Ben Askren.

If you have no experience or knowledge whatsoever, why are you speaking?

I've plenty of experience. I've fought at national level in traditional martial arts when I was in my teens. Tournaments are a world away from the gym. I've fought in interclub matches in mma, boxing, sambo and Nogi, and again even competing at that lowish level is a million miles from the gym.

Then there's the issue of transferring it to the street, which is what bjj was invented for. As Royce says: "a black belt only covers 3 inches of your ass, you have to cover the rest yourself"

Geoff Thompson's series of books like 'The pavement arena' and 'animal day' deconstruct the psychology of how real fighting is so different to practice in the gym.

Well worth a read if you're in anyway interested. Or here's a short clip:

I've plenty of experience. I've fought at national level in traditional martial arts when I was in my teens. Tournaments are a world away from the gym. I've fought in interclub matches in mma, boxing, sambo and Nogi, and again even competing at that lowish level is a million miles from the gym.

Then there's the issue of transferring it to the street, which is what bjj was invented for. As Royce says: "a black belt only covers 3 inches of your ass, you have to cover the rest yourself"

Geoff Thompson's series of books like 'The pavement arena' and 'animal day' deconstruct the psychology of how real fighting is so different to practice in the gym.

Well worth a read if you're in anyway interested. Or here's a short clip:

Joe rogan was a taekwondo champion. He's more accomplished than you in martial arts competition.

IDK of you ever seen joe roll as a black belt or talked to people who have rolled rogan but he's a legit bb. Machado and then another bb under eddie. Rogans been doing jits for over 20 years. I've heard he's a dick to roll with and goes too hard but still doesn't change the fact he's legit.
I talked to coleman about that time rogan took his back

giphy.gif

Joe rogan was a taekwondo champion. He's more accomplished than you in martial arts competition.

I was also a national Tae Kwon Do champion in my teens, just not in America. America isn't known for it's Tae Kwon Do. So on that, we are even.

However, that's irrelevant to the argument of whether you can be an expert fighter without ever having had a fight. How do you, or Joe know factually (And that's the key phrase), that he would
ever win a BJJ/Grappling competition at any level? You can guess, presuppose, make bets, proclaim soothsayer abilities, claim you know what's likely, but in the end its not knowledge until it's happened.
Don't give or accept a blackbelt unless it's earned and proven in at least one fight.

Props to Tyrone.

I was also a national Tae Kwon Do champion in my teens, just not in America. America isn't known for it's Tae Kwon Do. So on that, we are even.

However, that's irrelevant to the argument of whether you can be an expert fighter without ever having had a fight. How do you, or Joe know factually (And that's the key phrase), that he would
ever win a BJJ/Grappling competition at any level? You can guess, presuppose, make bets, proclaim soothsayer abilities, claim you know what's likely, but in the end its not knowledge until it's happened.
Don't give or accept a blackbelt unless it's earned and proven in at least one fight.

Props to Tyrone.
You don't make the rules. Even bringing up the idea that he can't be a black belt without a jiu jitsu competition history points to the fact that you don't know the way it works.

Props to Tyrone.

Yes

War Tyrone!!!

Back