Tyron Woodley got his black belt from Din Thomas last night is that normal?

Nice, Din is the man. I lived in Orlando many years ago so I hit up every school I could find within 3 hours. Din was exceptional.
yeah he was a great teacher, really into the nuances of the game and he's a complete fight nerd.

Rogan not a legit black belt??? Lmfao sherdog gonna sherdog .

Rogan's bb is very "legit". Bravo doesn't simply hand them out undeservingly. That's saying a lot coming from me because I can't stand Bravo.

Has Rogan ever won a bjj match in an actual competition?

Is Din Thomas a BJJ master? No, he's not. He isn't Demian Maia or Fabricio Werdum, but does that matter?

Din has 14 submission victories in MMA. Taking into account that MMA commentators like to bang on all day about black belts like Cub Swanson, Vitor Belfort and Lyoto Machida, it's interesting to then look at the numbers. Vitor Belfort has been dominated on the ground more times than you've had hot dinners, as well as only having 3 submission wins. Lyoto only has 2, Swanson only has 7 and has been tapped many times in MMA. Fuck it, BJ Penn has been dominated on the ground many times, and he himself only has 6 submission wins, and he's known as an amazing BJJ Black Belt.

I understand that Din Thomas hasn't submitted the caliber of fighter that BJ Penn has, that isn't my argument, but to act like Thomas hasn't got any legitimacy to his tutoring skills is short sighted.

What better way to earn the belt than to prove your skill in combat?

Tyrone has trained many years for his bb. I dont think it was because he submitted a great grappler, just that he subbed someone in a title fight. His belt is more legit than some others. I assume the dean lister thing was corrected, boogyman is a badass in grappling compared to din thomas.

Conor is a brown belt...

image001.png

Jesús Christ not that his grappling isn’t at brown level but the dude doesn’t even know how to tie a belt

Ive seen it before where a jiujitsu trainer gives their student a black belt after a fight.

But I never knew Din was a BJJ master, is his black belt credible?

Frank MIr's instructor told him he needed to execute it with a live, combative, non-compliant opponent in the ring before he'd give Frank a black belt. That was the fight where Mir snapped Silvia's arm. I remember hearing his instructor threw the belt at him in the ring, though that might be more fable than fact.

Under who though is the question, it's all about who your trainer is and what the results are. Conor couldn't submit shit, unless your name is Dave Hill and who the fuck is that guy!?

I’m not sure who but whoever it is surely is a bad ass. Just look at the way he ties his belt!

Why do you think that matters?

Because 'you talking bout practice'.

To be declared an expert in a fighting art without ever having a fight....

That's why it matters.

10th planet is no-gi so no, he wouldn't have to compete in a bjj comp to be promoted belt to belt.

Ah, you literalised a colloquialism to avoid the truth...

He submitted someone in an mma title fight.
As far as i'm concerned that BB is a lot more legit that the hundreds gracie/machado celebrity black belts given out of interest ( like joe rogan's for example )
Rogan has a gracie or machado bb? News to me

Hold up, isn't Din Thomas a black belt in thugjitsu?

Maybe that's Yves Edwards though..

He submitted someone in an mma title fight.
As far as i'm concerned that BB is a lot more legit that the hundreds gracie/machado celebrity black belts given out of interest ( like joe rogan's for example )
Lol no

His first sub in 10 years almost, not black belt level and not even close

Certainly did a great job setting it up and pulling it off but not even close to black belt

And those Gracie machado belts are a joke

You guys acting like it was impulsive.....
It was probably pre planned, who brings a new black belt to a mma fight.

Back